Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

what works?

10/21/15       
Larry  Member

The Job Seekers seem to be dwindling ?
Looking to the forum to relate what works when hiring entry level to skilled employee? Rate of pay? perks? Our shop is a production wood shop, no finishing, no cabinets and no skids either. Any suggestions would be great !!!

10/21/15       #2: what works? ...
Jerry Cunningham

I'm in the same boat as you. I can't find help at a reasonable pay rate at all. 3 years ago I would get 50-100 resumes with each Craigslist ad I posted for jobs starting at 8.00/hr and going up to $10 after 60 days. I'd get people with MBA's etc apply.

Now the only applicants I get say "I've always wanted to work in a woodshop. I don't have any practical experience, but I took shop back in high school. I currently make $25-30/hr, and if you could pay me that, give me free health insurance, and plenty of paid vacation I may consider changing careers".

I'm a production wood shop doing the same thing day in and day out. It's not a sweat shop by any means or a frantic pace, but it's not the New Yankee Workshop where I need bench craftsmen either.

Good luck,
Jerry

10/21/15       #3: what works? ...
Gary B.

Same boat here....I think its a serious problem facing all of us. Unfortunately society doesn't hold blue collar work in high regard. In my humble opinion, not every one needs to go to college, but it'd be great if they had a real choice between college or vocational school.

Everyone I talk to in the "trades" seems to share our frustration.

I'm focusing on our training systems. Much like you two, we're a production shop. I don't really need someone with years of experience that can build anything, I need people that are willing and able to learn a system and work hard.

10/21/15       #4: what works? ...
Pdub Member

Same boat here. We're on our 5th "middle" guy this year (3 total). Have had some guys with skills, but they don't want to work hard. Have had some guys that work hard with little skill but want to argue with anyone who try's to teach them how to do something.
Our current guy can't even make it here by 9 o'clock. Twice now he's played the "dead battery card" and missed the FULL day each time!
I don't see this getting any better so I'm concentrating most of my efforts these days on automating as much as we possibly can.
Slim pickings out there. Thanks for the opportunity to rant.

10/21/15       #5: what works? ...
Cabmaker

Maybe the time has come to open the borders to some of the immigrants looking for a better life?

10/21/15       #6: what works? ...
Larry

This is a different Larry but same problems. We just hired a man away from a smaller shop. He came here, I didn't specifically go after him. We pay a bit more to start, but he wanted the opportunity to learn more modern methods. We are a production shop.

10/21/15       #7: what works? ...
Blake Member

Finally a question I know a little about. I can say you need to find Hispanic workers if at all possible. Each market is different as to demographics, but all the headaches that business owners have with blue collar employees is just not there with the Hispanic workforce. That is a broad statement I know but I am impressed each day with the work ethic and attitude of my guys. I would not have opened my shop if I had to rely on americans.

10/21/15       #8: what works? ...
Cabmaker

One of the advantages of working with immigrant populations is that you are working with a group who made a conscious choice and was willing to endure privation in order to improve their own life and the lives of their family. As such these people tend to be mission oriented and alert to opportunity.

A good strategy, I think, would be to pay higher than other employers who work with this demographic. Higher wages will attract the nuclear scientists from these countries and with them the peers of those nuclear scientists. In any case it is easier to stand out with this demographic than people who sometimes have a more developed sense of entitlement.

In my city the contractors to beat are Ukrainians & Romanians. These guys will have one lead man who directs the whole tribe. They aren't going to shut your jobsite down for 9 days each month because it's a weekend! These guys want to make money.

There is also the moral obligation. A lot of the middle east is in turmoil because of regime change that was largely initiated by American foreign policy. We broke it so we should also help to fix it.

I would be curious to see how Blake has overcome the obvious language barrier issues. Are there any other less obvious problems to mitigate?

10/21/15       #9: what works? ...
Blake Member

The language barrier is an issue and causes a mistake here or there if i'm not around to answer a question. Between my broken Spanish and drawing the occasional picture we get by fine. If I have to show them how to do something It's usually just once. My lead man also speaks pretty good English and it's generally easy to find one among a group that can. I see a lot of them wanting to learn English and getting better and better with it because they know it will help them earn money and be more employable. When I need a new sub I ask my guys if they can refer someone and it rarely turns out bad. There is an eastern European sector too that is great but its not too prevalent in my area and only in specific fields.

10/21/15       #10: what works? ...
Pat Gilbert

I agree with Blake, I prefer the ones who had some experience as a picker. These guys know how to work like no one else. Like some white people use to... Some of them still stay in touch today after many years.

Guys who have a family are also what works. For the obvious reasons.

You guys are overlooking the main reason. Which is demographics. Look at these graphs. Notices the valley around age 35 or so. That is one of the reasons the housing market crashed in 2007. Also notice the peak around age 20. That is the what is going to boom the housing market around 2020. This group is as big as the peak of the boomers. Remember the reason the housing market boomed from the 70s until the 2000s was the boomers.

1) I would learn me some Spanish cuz that boom in the population is going to be more minorities than crackers.

2) I think Gary has it right in training these younger guys. Training is an investment that does pay, granted there are going to be some that leave but it still pays.

3) I think Larry has it right in making your shop competitive for attracting workers.

4) The way most guys hire Mexican workers is that one guy is in charge and he then get his friends to work for you. But be careful because this sometimes gets abused.

5) Hire for attitude over skills. By far and away the most workable thing I have ever done is to look for people with good attitude. For the simple reason that angry people are usually angry, bored people are usually bored, interested people are usually interested. I.E. save yourself a lot of grief and hire the enthusiastic people.

6) check references

7) The younger guys are naturally interested in computer driven stuff.

8) Look at those graphs for what is coming down the pike. ( both good and bad) IOW start doing some planning.

There will be boom times. But at about 2030 the boomers are going to be retired which means they are going to turn stocks and other investments into safer securities this will depress returns in investments. At the same time they are going to be getting rid of debt, consider that in 1980 the total debt in the US was 5 trillion dollar today that number is 60 trillion. Not that that is all the debt of the population but that is a lot of debt to payoff, which will create deflation. Plus the fact that when people reach the age of 60 they quit buying stuff. Plus the fact that this will occur in Europe, Japan, and the rest of the developed world.

On a positive note look at the explosion of growth that will occur by 2060 it will make the boom times in the past look like a piker.

You may consider this as bloviation, but I warn you not as much as you think.

View higher quality, full size image (612 X 648)

View higher quality, full size image (723 X 546)

View higher quality, full size image (960 X 720)

12/6/15       #11: what works? ...
Joe P Boyington Member

Just a thought to ad, curious if anyone uses this. It seems like it would be a good idea to form a relationship with your nearest Vocational school or junior college. Most instructors are interactive in helping good students with job placement after graduation. My high school vo-tech instructor gave myself and many others leads whenever we went out searching for jobs, provided he had any.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)