Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Mixed Light Industrial with Residential - Live/Work

4/14/16       
TG Member

"Retirement" years are fast approaching and have been contemplating a Florida relocation but have interest in a property that would serve both living and working. If I get to 80 I'll still want/need a shop to build things. I see that other cities are putting in creative zoning efforts along these lines. An established example of this is in Berlin Germany and called "Hackeschen Höfe"

Anyways just wanted to see if other "makers and sawdust addicts" here have had thoughts and wants similiar. Input welcomed.

4/14/16       #2: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
Da Llas

I have read that Dallas does not have much in the way of zoning, don't know if that is true, but that might be a way to live near your work.

For me it was all about getting a big enough yard to allow me to work without disturbing the neighbors.

4/14/16       #3: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
Charles Member

Suggestion: Stay away from any community that has a Home Owners' Association!

4/15/16       #4: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
TG Member

Thinking more in lines of current Industry zoned areas. Think factory with residential above.

4/15/16       #5: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
Mark B Member

Sounds like you'll do your homework either way. I know in several areas I have been they have had dual use regulations in both directions i.e. no residence in a commercial space and no commercial operations in a residential. Id think on the commercial side if the spaces were completely separate there wouldnt be an issue (multi story building, fisrt floor is shop, second is residential).

If your much of a youtuber there is a guy Tom Lipton is channel is OxTools. He and his wife live in an arrangement similar to what I believe you are thinking. He is a machinist and continues that as a hobby and she is in the arts. They have a large industrial shared space with living quarters directly attached to the shop.

I had long dreamed and strived towards a setup like that thinking how wonderful it would be to be able to walk to the shop at any time, be close to home, all on one property (bill and overhead). I got there partially for approximately 2 years in the residential/business scenario and running everything above board (legitimate business) the town required you to have a home occupation permit if you were to be working from home. Needless to say, a couple thousand in lawyers and appeals with the town zoning board and they would not grant one. Needless to say, I moved to a more rural area with no such oversight.

That said, even carrying that dream with me to the new location (and thinking I would build the dream plan) I wound up falling into a very nice 4.5K sq' commercial building and property that I purchased for a very reasonable price and while it has the ability to be dual use in the several years I have owned and operated the shop in this space I have really found that I like the detachment of leaving, and coming, to work. Its a personal thing but when I made a push at it the last time I was operating in a more artistic venture where it was nice to shoot down to the shop at 1am when inspiration hit and crank out some work. Now however doing less artistic and more straight woodworking I am finding that I really enjoy the disconnect.

Ive used the "you have no 5 o'clock when your in this business (and small-ish)" thing before and not being tied to the business every minute helps me personally to offset that a bit though I could easily see it working in a larger operation or if your just super passionate about your work and want to be in it every chance you get.

4/16/16       #6: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
TG Member

Thanks for the input Mark. I went to youtube and watched OX Tools/Tom make a plastic replacement foot for an IKEA chair. Pretty awesome. Did not see anything specifically on his living quarters/shop space.

I can understand the separation aspect of live work and need to think about that more.

Pressed for time now but will have more time during theweek cause VACA time. Thanks

4/19/16       #7: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
Mark B Member

Yeah, He does do some odd ball stuff once in a while. I saw one where he was repairing a fire engine toy for one of his grandchildren or something. I believe he works for Livermore Labs or something to that effect working with massive electromagnets (particle accelerators and such). Impressive breadth of knowledge. I enjoy a lot of the metal working and high tolerance work. Its like woodworking on steroids.

Good luck with your endeavor.

4/21/16       #8: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
David Waldmann  Member

I was planning to convert some space to an apartment at our shop, until I talked to our fire alarm guy. The National Fire Code requires a 2 hour firewall between Dwelling places and General Purpose Industrial. 3 hours if it's High Hazard Industrial (for instance - a finishing room). See Table 6.1.14.4.1(b).

Note that there is no "light industrial" classification as far as fire code goes, and even "Business" needs the 2 hours.

You can reduce it by 1 hour if entire facility is sprinkler protected.

I'd strongly suggest you talk to your fire marshall before spending any money.

View larger image

Chapter 6 Class of Occupancy & Hazard of

4/21/16       #9: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
Mark B Member

The 2 or 3 hour firewall is not that big of a deal really if your allowed to do it at all. In my experience that bigger issue is in a lot of municipalities your simply not allowed by zoning to have residential space in an industrial facility.

A reasonably sized 3 hour firewall is not unreasonably cost prohibitive to build if your allowed to do it at all.

The issue becomes you move outside a given area where the fire marshal, code enforcement, labor board, frequently visit, and people tend to fly under their own set of rules. The only time it comes into play is when you either have a claim, or employ several individuals, that bring in the enforcement agencies.

In these "out of the city limits" arrangements the insurance agent tends to become the enforcement as they are going to be the ones who pay. Whether or not they engage the fire marshal, labor board, is up for grabs.

In my area for instance, there is no (zero) option for code enforcement. The only governing bodies on my operation would be the labor board and the fire marshal with regards to employees or serving the public.

I would venture to guess no state agency would be called in if I were able to satisfy my insurance agent (salesman).

4/21/16       #10: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
David Waldmann  Member

"A reasonably sized 3 hour firewall is not unreasonably cost prohibitive to build if your allowed to do it at all."

That depends on the situation. In ours, it was trying to convert an existing 2nd floor location. Adding a 2-3 hour firewall would mean dismantling the entire existing interior, which is not an option since it adjoins existing finished space.

4/21/16       #11: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
Charles Member

Maybe I have this wrong, but wouldn't adding another layer of drywall over the existing drywall extend the rating? Also, possibly the doors would need to be changed as well. But, dismantling the "entire existing interior"?

Of course, I am just guessing here based on absolutely no idea what the existing interior is. But, I was just thinking...

4/21/16       #12: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
David Waldmann  Member

Simply adding a layer of drywall will extend the fire rating, but not to more than one hour. For 2+ hours there needs to be two actual separate walls with an air space between*, and that wall system must extend from the foundation to the roof. In our case, the floor system in the affected area was a TJI over a bearing wall, and that floor system extended from what would be the residential area to the industrial area.

Take a look at the attached image and see what the challenge would be in an existing conventional frame construction. In our case, one of the upper quadrants would have been residential, the other upper and both lower were industrial.

*speaking about wood framed walls.

View larger image

Gypsum Systems Fire Resistance Design

4/22/16       #13: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
pat gilbert

I had to do this a long time ago. We had to put a new wall up adjacent to the existing wall. You usually have to sub it out as well they will not allow you to do the work
yourself.

Maybe if you own the building it would be different?

4/22/16       #14: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
TG Member

Good points on the fire rating process.

I guess if money were not an issue, perhaps having separate locations for shop and living (as normal) might be a preference. But thinking in building efficiency/$ terms it seems to make sense. But the "Hackeschen Höfe" model is a good one.

It's more of a maker community concept rather than a sole woodworker's shop type scenario. Zoning seems to be moving in that direction with more inclusionary and "form based" code being used. Many cities are taking a more Urbanized approach since there is more demand for walkable cities with live/work local proximity. Plus the milenials are doing without cars more and more.

My thoughts would be a large development that could support 10-20 makers that would have shop and living space but also store fronts/showrooms for selling to the public. Throw in a restaurant or two... :) If each shop was around 5000 sf or so with ability to divide into one large main shop for the owner, then one or two smaller shop spaces for rental income. Maybe main shop is divided in a way that has a main machine room for larger more expensive equipment i.e. CNC router/Edgebander etc. And it was shared with the tenants of the space or even designed such a way where the complex has a main machine room to use by all which would lessen the individual cost burden for these expensive machines that "normally" may not be used 8 hrs a day by a single tenant/owner.

Just some free thoughts...

4/24/16       #15: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
GT

It looks like you have your heart set on living in Hackeschen Höfe. Go for it.

Or, if you want to stay in this country, build your own.

4/24/16       #16: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
TG Member

No, don't want to live in Germany. Just seeing if this scenario appeals to anyone else. Take more than me to build that type of project...

4/26/16       #17: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
Pinestraw 2016

FWIW there are plenty of shops that are built just as TG describes.

They are zoned for it and the cities even provided loans for the construction.

If it can be done in So Cal it can be done anywhere.

4/26/16       #18: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
TG Member

Great. Back on topic. Thx Pinestraw. Any websites you can point to in So Cal with examples will be appreciated.

I think they refer to a newer type of zoning called Form Based zoning rather than straight use classification based zoning.

4/26/16       #19: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
Pat Gilbert AKA Pinestraw

TG

Not exactly what you are looking for but the point is that they have the zoning.

Artist Lofts

4/26/16       #20: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
TG Member

Thx Pat

4/27/16       #21: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
Neil

Great discussion. Look up "South Side Works Pittsburgh" on web or Wikipedia. First floor are businesses and second residential. Development built to fit in and looks like built 100 years ago. Don't know of any manufacturing onsite, mostly retail. Development built within very old part of Pittsburgh. Shops are nearby in same neighborhood. Doubt than a wood shop, or most craftsman type activities could afford the rent though. Pricey area.

4/27/16       #22: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
David Waldmann

I REALLY don't understand the negativity on this thread.

Someone has asked for input on an idea, and probably half of it is "Heil Hitler" and "do it if you want to".

If you have nothing to contribute, go reply to another thread that you can add to. If you only have negative criticism, crawl back into your hole.

It's times like this I wish this forum were moderated.

4/29/16       #23: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
ynot

Have you considered undertaking the construction task yourself? It can be done, you know.

4/29/16       #24: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
TG Member

Thanks Neil, I'll check it out.

David. I know what you mean. From left field...

Gee Wiz Ynot, you really think so? Sorry for the sarcasm but some of the previous post have been a bit perplexing. I think people don't read the posts carefully and then respond, but are off target a bit.

Understandable to a point. It takes energy to read in detail everything... Which usually is in low supply.

I think a couple of post (deleted) said to stop asking so many questions and just do it.

My reason for posting was to see if any other woodworkers were contemplating a relocation to South Florida specifically and if they had a desired to have a shop and living in close proximity.

As previously mentioned, 10-20 makers @ 5000 sq ft each = a sizable development. Certainly way past just going to HD, picking up some 2x4's and nails and start building it.

5/2/16       #25: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
Project Mgr

It should be possible to get a project like that off the ground - find some investors and get going.

Clearly people who comment here have already got their situation settled or else there would be more of a ground swell of support.

5/4/16       #26: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
Harold Pomeroy

I have a shop where I live. 300' from the house. The distance is to keep one building safe if the other burns, and to cut down on shop noise and dust near the house. There is no town water, so no fire hydrants. I meet building codes, have insurance, and follow common sense fire rules.

This arrangement meets town zoning laws. I can also have operate heavy equipment on my property for fun, 24 hours/seven days. My neighbor across the valley does this. He has a mid-size excavator for fun. Nights and weekends he goes out and smashes rocks and digs roads on his 15 acres of World War I landscaping. This has been going on since 2003. In 2005 he disconnected the back up alarm.

If you go live where Men are Free to Run Loud Stuff, watch out for who you neighbors are.

5/7/16       #27: Mixed Light Industrial with Residen ...
TG Member

Thanks for the input

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)