Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Selling an Architectural Millwork Business

5/22/18       
Chris Member

Hey Everyone,
Anyone out there have success selling their Architectural Millwork Business? How did you go about it? How did you find the right buyer? Sources? Recommendations of consultants?
I own a moderate size Architectural Millwork Company in Southern California, the company has been around for approximately 30 years. We have 13,000 SF of shop space (at an amazing lease rate!) and multiple CNC machines all setup and integrated with Microvellum. Our project nexts vary from small batch production to highly custom primarily in the commercial sector. We’ve seen steady growth over the last few years and are on track to doubling our revenue for the second year in a row.

Sorry for the long winded post, just wanted to give you as much info as possible to respond. Thank you for taking the time!

5/22/18       #2: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
rich c.

I was unable to sell my business, a small 3 man custom woodworking business. I just didn't have the account receivables to attract a buyer. I'd suggest a broker and develop a nice folder of your past profit and loss statements and customer list. Numbers are going to make a bigger difference than machinery, locale, and amazing lease rate. Good luck, it won't be easy.

5/22/18       #3: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
David R Sochar Member

My plan, derailed by the bailouts, was to own the real estate and give the company to the employees. We bought a new 9,000 s/f facility in 2001, for 850K and were growing and paying the bills with some comfort. The equity grew chiefly from the 7-9% value appreciation of the real estate every year.

After about 8-10 years, I could sell the building for $2M, and walk away. Or lease it to the employees for a monthly income.

This area has a history of lumberyards that turn into fern courts and shopping destinations since the real estate can make far more money than the fleeting profits from selling sticks. The ground is where the gold is, not the buying and selling or whatever.

5/23/18       #4: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
Kevin Dunphy

That true I own the real estate its the way to go . I bought my property 10 years ago not worth a fortune but it would be hard to sell the business , because of being so hands on [skilled labor]

5/23/18       #5: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
Slam Dunk

I have to agree with the others. I'm preparing to retire, and looked at selling the business. Unfortunately in my area rents are going up past where shops can afford to rent. Small shops are getting squeezed out. Luckily I own the real estate, and it's gone up substantially since I bought it. No way would I rent to a cabinet shop anyway. I've been through too many ups and downs in my career to bank my retirement income on a cabinet shop paying rent. I'll sell the building, auction off the equipment, take the money and buy apartment buildings when the time comes. Lucky me!

5/23/18       #6: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
inquiring_minds_want_to_Know Member

Price will be some multiplier of adjusted net income. Smaller the sales amount, higher the commission.

A business that can without you has more value than one that needs you.

Also you need a backlog.

Start with your CPA, he should be able to put you in touch with a broker. Expect it to take over a year to market, get offers and close.

5/24/18       #7: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
Chris Member

Thank you all for your thoughts. What I’m trying to find are the avenues, specifically websites/services to list the sale to attract buyers or specific brokers that people have had success with (ie. IAG business brokers, etc)

I’ve calculated several business valuations of my company understanding the fact that it is a somewhat hands on business (affecting the multiplier) although i work most of the time I’m business development, not really in the business anymore.

Some stats for discussion:
Sales : 2 Mil
Net Profit : 450-500K
Personnel: 8 Employees (including programmer/engineer, Estimator/Sales, Shop staff, Installers, Finisher)
Current Backlog : 300K

Honest Value of Assets (no real estate) : 700K

Factored 3x multiplier based on average of 200K net profit : 600K
(Pretty conservative net profit)

Potential Value of business : 1.3M

My question really isn’t about the value of the business, it’s really about finding potential buyers.

Thanks for taking your time to respond.

5/24/18       #8: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
Paul Downs

That net profit of 450-500k seems awfully high. Unless you are a business genius? Or is that the gross profit before expenses?

If you are really netting that much, don't sell it. Hire someone to run it, spend your days fishing, and keep it going as long as you can.

5/24/18       #9: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
The Staff at WOODWEB Member

Just an FYI - you can post a Business for Sale listing at WOODWEB's Classified Ad Exchange - link is below. You will see other business listings there.

WOODWEB's Classified Exchange

5/24/18       #10: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
Chris Member

Thanks for the business genius comment, I’ll take that!
That’s the true net (this year). That’s why later on in my previous post for the business valuation I factored on a 3 year average of 200K net profit (probably more, but that would be on the safe side).
Yes, I agree the net profit this year is amazing and might even be a bit more, the problem with that is it’s in the heavily custom architectural Millwork realm which is extremely hands on. So, a bit hard to hire someone run it.

5/24/18       #11: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
Alan F. Member

You need to adjust net profit and move items to net profit that wouldn't be there if an employee was doing your job and you were fishing.

All of this depends on structure (corp, sub s, llc, sole proprietor)
Examples of items that would go to the net.
Car for owners wife, car for owner, max out 401 k contribution paid by the companies, owner taxes paid by the company, expenses for anything that isn't part of the true operating cost.

If you are a sole proprietorship then your distributions would reduce the net unless that is after you are paid.

You add that back to the bottom line.
You would want to have more backlog, close to a year or more of clean good margin sales.

I would ask my attorney or CPA for a broker to use, CPA's and attorneys do real valuations all the time and know who to use.

You would probably own the receivables and payables.

Basically its going to come down to ROI for the buyer so better cash flows and margins will be easier to sell if they can be sustained with you gone.

Come back when this is done and let us know what the price was and what the multiplier was.

I would be curious.

5/26/18       #12: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
B.H. Davis Member

When selling a business the key factor that determines value is the net taxable profit to the owner. The profit multiplier will increase with that profit margin. Your estimate of a 3x multiplier is a reasonable (and perhaps conservative) estimate based upon a $450k to $500k profit. The question is whether the $450k to $500k profit is actually accurate.

There are a few factors to be considered:

1) Value of equipment does not come into the equation. It doesn't matter if you make that amount of profit with $100 or $100,000 worth of equipment. Whatever equipment is required to make the product is expected to be included in the sale regardless of its value. In fact a high equipment value might even lower the business value if some of that equipment is aging and will be needing replacement in the near future.

2) You have to deduct the expected salary cost of your position from the net profit amount. If an investor were looking at buying the business they would have to hire someone to do what you are doing. In a very small company this can be overlooked if the new owner were to be full time hands on doing what you do. In a larger business though the outlook is that someone will need to be hired.

3) Your bargain lease cost may need to be increased in the future so a higher rent cost may need to be factored in to the equation. A buyer is sure to ask "what will my costs be when the lease comes up for renewal." This could be balanced by an existing long term lease agreement but any potential buyer would be looking closely at this issue.

As to where to find a buyer my best suggestion is to talk with local and regional business people to try and find someone who has successfully sold a similar business. If they used a broker then you can contact that same firm. They might even have some potential buyers in mind from that earlier successful sale. If the business owner sold on their own then you can find out what method was used to develop the buyer interest. There are a number of national level business sale sites on the internet. You can list there yourself for a modest cost. Most brokers will list the business on those sites as well as approaching their own list of potential buyers waiting in wings.

Good luck,
BH Davis

5/26/18       #13: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
B.H. Davis Member

PS: one last point.

The value of the business will not be based upon the most recent sales year alone. Any buyer will need to see sales/profit records from the past 3 to 5 years. This most recent year's high profit margin will not be ignored but will be put into the larger perspective of a multi-year trend.

BH Davis

5/29/18       #14: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
Larry

I just sold my business to two of my employees. I own the 25,000 Sq. Ft building and will lease it to them at about 2/3 the going rate. I am financing the operating capital as a 10 year loan, secured by the equipment. I will get a monthly payment that is more than enough for me to live on. I have other income that is plenty to live on. I wanted to make sure the rest of the employees continued to have jobs. Many of them have been with me for a long time.
I know there will be ups & downs and that I may not get some of the payments, when due. We have a lot of work now but I remember what happened in 2009.

5/30/18       #15: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
DOUGLAS P CONTI Member

The age old question what is my business worth and who will give that to me. I went through that in 2005. I told my CPA I wanted to have all the proper paperwork to be able to sell my business in a few years. A had a unique business plan before that, make as much money on every job as you can. I started in 1989 and have been successful every year. In 2005, 2006 2007 I averaged 1.5 million with 6 employees with about 350,000 in profit. I purchased the building I was leasing along with two others. I had a years worth of work on the books, a lump of cash in the bank, Good receivables and very little debt. I had it all lined up and even had some serious potential buyers and then WHAM 2008 hit. Nobody could get a loan, nobody was buying anything, it was all for nothing. Just surviving the downturn was chore in its self, taking jobs just to keep the doors open and people paid, i worked for three years and everyone who worked for me made more than I did. The only person who would buy the shop was someone looking for good equipment. I did have a small retirement plan however, two years ago all the buildings and land was paid for, now I collect rent on seven warehouse units. When I get tired of collecting rent I'll sell the properety and that will give me enough to live my remaining years. I doubt that I can sell the business which is a shame but it did supply the money i needed to buy the property that will support me the rest of my life. Here's to sawdust and money!

5/31/18       #16: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
David R Sochar  Member

Larry - 25 bonus points for you. To make the business available to the employees is smart, since they have a vested interest in keeping a stable and presumably growing income. Good economics, good practice, and good business.

Your plan is exactly what I was working towards when the greed took over the system and nearly forced me out of business.

5/31/18       #17: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
Pat Gilbert

Congratulations Larry, good for you

5/31/18       #18: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
Mark Elliott Member

Good for you Larry, I hope you continue to contribute here.

Mark

6/1/18       #19: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
d conti

Go Larry? I want to know where he found employees who would stay around that long and have money to invest in a business. Lets be honest here, if you run a small shop it is very hard to keep good help, someone who is young and has a good head on his shoulders will eventually get an offer from a large company with benefits and perks that you just can't possible match, and probably from one of the companies that you subcontract from. You can't blame him for leaving. The guys that stay around are the ones that generally live paycheck to paycheck. Do not forget we are in the construction industry and generally do not get the cream of the crop. I know that the guys working for me could no way muscle up the down payment for my business and I seriously doubt that they could run the business, except they could run it into the ground. Generally what we do is start a small shop, try to make enough money to support our families, then after doing this for a number of years we learn all the nuaunces of a small business, estimating, purchasing, finance, taxes and insurance, collections,
quality control, human resources, etc. Now you tell me where are you going to find someone to fill those shoes and just how much are you going to pay him? So I want you tell me and tell me honestly what is the biggest asset of your business? and when you leave what is it actually worth besides the brick and mortar?

6/1/18       #20: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
David R Sochar  Member

d conti - I don't know that your experience with small shops is the same as everyone's.

I have a small shop that at one time did $1M a year, and had 5-6 employees. We had health insurance paid by the company 100% for the employee, and paid 50% for the family. I had 2 men that worked with me for 11 years, and 2 ,more that worked with me 6 - 7 years. They all made a living wage. We still have paid vacations, even though I have only one employee now - here for 6 years. Most years had year end bonuses, as we do now. Free materials and shop time for home projects or similar is also a benefit.

The shop did not have open books when larger or even now, but the employees knew what our overhead was, the time and materials budget for every job, how we came out and why. They knew that if they could make or beat the time budget that they would benefit from it.

A well-run company that knows what they are doing can do all this. It is not easy, but it certainly is not impossible. I think that if the company is living from check to check, then it is likely to attract people that do the same, and the whole thing becomes a shaky affair.

6/1/18       #21: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
d conti

David,
I hate to inform that what you assumed about my business is totally wrong. I have been in business for 29 years, each one has been successful. I have an excellent reputation not only for good quaility work, but for honesty as well. I have done quite well for myself. The point I was making that in a small shop it is owner that really makes things work and that when you are selling a business you (the owner) is not going with it. You are the greatest asset the business has and basically without you and your contacts and your business sense that the business is nothing more than a building, a bunch of machines, and few employees, which with about $500,000 all can be purchased and put into place in 60 days or so. So why would anyone purchase an exisiting shop for a premium ? Now about the employees maybe in a more rural area where jobs are scarce you might be able to hold on to some good people but I am in large metro area where people change jobs often, and I can not compete with the likes of General mills where they are paying people 80,000 per year a plus benefits. I know my turn over is going to be high it is just part of the business so I deal with it.

6/1/18       #22: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
Larry

Employees: Why do they stay or go? Like what they are doing and feel appreciated. Good environment, can work together as part of a team. Decent pay but it doesn't have to top other places. Feel like they are kept in the knowledge circuit and have a chance to learn new skills. Open door policy for access to the owner/manager.

How? Actively ask for their input and get back to them on any suggestions. We have monthly employee meetings where up coming work is explained, any problems that have come up are opened for discussion. A safety meeting is part of it. Lunch is served. Annual picnic in the park with families. Cross training for everyone. Friday after work cold beer & snacks along with lots of BS. Limit 2 beers.

Result: 2 of my original (3), 1988, guys are still here. Several more have 15+ years here. Hire for attitude.

7/23/18       #23: Selling an Architectural Millwork B ...
Charlie W Member

Challenges to selling a small business.

1. Most competitors would rather just let you lose interest, or die off, or close down rather than buy (you) out the competition.
2. Venture capital is hard to obtain for small brick and mortar businesses.
3. This is especially true for you because of the high level of energy and special skills needed to run a custom millwork/cabinet business.

Here is another perspective. I am a former shop owner and current General manager for a larger shop. Some comments above have mentioned that finding a buyer is difficult. I can understand this as a person who is qualified to own and run a shop it's hard to get excited about taking on the risk of buying out an established busyness. This industry just like so many is built on personal relationships. People buy from your company because they are comfortable with you and have an established relationship with you. If I ever were to consider buying out a busyness it would have to be structured something like this:
I would come on as an employee with the intention to buy out.
There would be a deposit at time of purchase then a percentage paid to the owner over a few years until the total was paid off.
The owner would stay on for a couple of years (possibly part-time after a while) to help establish relationships and help with the handoff of accounts.

Just my 2 cents.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)