Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

red oak TOO dry?

5/21/16       
door shop guy

I have been having problems making straight parts lately only with red oak. I flatten all frame material on the jointer then run thru thru the planer. When it comes out of the planer it is not flat anymore. This is only happening with red oak...not poplar, maple, cherry, alder etc. I measured moisture with my Wagner meter and it is consistently at 4.5-5.1 %. This oak is from a major mill who i have been using for a couple years now. Going to talk with supplier monday. What should i do and will this cause me problems with warranty down the road?

5/21/16       #2: red oak TOO dry? ...
Adam Spees

This is off Wiki:

Case hardening describes lumber or timber that has been dried too rapidly. Wood initially dries from the shell (surface), shrinking the shell and putting the core under compression. When this shell is at a low moisture content it will 'set' and resist shrinkage. The core of the wood is still at a higher moisture content. This core will then begin to dry and shrink, however any shrinkage is resisted by the already 'set' shell. This leads to reversed stresses; compression stresses on the shell and tension stresses in the core. This results in unrelieved stress called case hardening. Case-hardened wood may warp considerably and dangerously when the stress is released by sawing.

The wood is effectively defective. You should be able to return what you haven't used at the very least. Don't keep it.

5/21/16       #3: red oak TOO dry? ...
door shop guy

Should i request that they take care of any warranty work that should arise?
I have never had a warranty issue with anything as long as i have been building cabinet doors.

My supplier has the exact same moisture meter as i do so i will be able to see what theirs reads. I just went out and measured more...some of it is down in the 3.5-4% range !

5/21/16       #4: red oak TOO dry? ...
rich c.

Them take care of warranty work? All they might do is replace the material. It'll take a lawyer to get any more than that. They will likely claim you knew there was an issue and you continued to use the product. How could they be responsible for you using faulty product? I'm surprised you did continue to use problematic material. When I have issues, everything stops and it gets corrected right NOW!

5/21/16       #5: red oak TOO dry? ...
door shop guy

Been using oak from that mill for a couple years with no problems. Only the last 3 weeks or so i have had problems and it has only been 200 bf or so. Sorry for the confusion.

5/23/16       #6: red oak TOO dry? ...
GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Indeed, casehardening results in immediate warp when machining.

The description has several points that are incorrect

Case hardening describes lumber or timber that has been dried too rapidly. Wrong...even when dried at the normal accepted rate,mood does caseharden.

Wood initially dries from the shell (surface), shrinking the shell and putting the core under compression. Partly true, but the shell is also under tension and it is this tension exceeds the proportional limit and moves into the plastic range that stress becomes permanent, which is casehardening. So, it develops very early in drying. If the tension exceeds the strength, then a check occurs.

When this shell is at a low moisture content it will 'set' and resist shrinkage. Totally incorrect. Set occurs at high MCs, not low. The wood is too strong at low MCs to develop set.

The core of the wood is still at a higher moisture content. This core will then begin to dry and shrink, however any shrinkage is resisted by the already 'set' shell. This leads to reversed stresses; compression stresses on the shell and tension stresses in the core. This results in unrelieved stress called case hardening. Correction...set causes casehardening, not unrelieved stress.

A better description is in DRYING HARDWOOD LUMBER.

5/23/16       #7: red oak TOO dry? ...
GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Casehardening in dried hardwood lumber for furniture, cabinets, etc. is totally unacceptable and is considered incorrectly dried lumber. There are tests for measuring casehardening. Lumber should be easily returned for credit.

However, subsequent damages will be hard to collect, but I have seen it in a court case where the award was $3 million. Very expensive to pursue legally.

5/23/16       #8: red oak TOO dry? ...
Kevin Jenness

This incident makes a good argument for checking every load that comes in for moisture content. I venture to say it is rarely done consistently, but would save a lot of heartburn.

5/23/16       #9: red oak TOO dry? ...
door shop guy

My supplier measured the same readings i took and we both have the Wagner 220.
Some readings at 3.5%

Tried resawing some today...terrible.

5/23/16       #10: red oak TOO dry? ...
Gene Wengert-WoodDoc

Low moisture content does not cause or contribute to casehardening.

It is virtually impossible to dry lumber to 3.5% MC. Even a steam kiln cannot to that.

5/24/16       #11: red oak TOO dry? ...
Adam Spees

Gene,

You should edit the Wiki post

5/24/16       #12: red oak TOO dry? ...
Gene Wengert-WoodDoc

The information is in DRYING HARDWOOD LUMBER, see page 99 plus. It is free, can be copied, etc. In fact, this book and its previous versions are widely available and represent the best source of info on drying. Canada has similar info. So, why would someone spend the time to make a wiki post that is so far off from the published info?

Note that many of the smaller dehumidification kilns do not have the ability to relieve casehardening. Is it possible that this is how your lumber was dried? Also, if we air dry carefully, there is close to zero casehardening, as the high humidity every morning relieves a bit of this stress. So, a DH kiln with well air dried would be ok.

6/1/16       #13: red oak TOO dry? ...
door shop guy

So my salesman says the mill rep says he "thinks" the wood will stabilize once it is milled. Salesman says they surfaced the rest of the material and most of it has stayed flat. The guy running the machines said the wood looks good.

Maybe I should invite them over for a 101 lesson? I can tell you that their idea of flat and my idea of flat are nothing alike.

This wood warps AS it is being run across the jointer! Time to order my oak from another supplier but i really hope they get some higher MC stuff in.

6/1/16       #14: red oak TOO dry? ...
Gene Wengert-WoodDoc

Salesman is incorrect

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello