Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doors

11/1/22       
FM

We’ve been in business 20 years and have made thousands and thousands of slab veneer doors. Up until this last couple years we always used classic/armor core (1/2” plywood center with 1/8” mdf bands on each side of ply below the veneer). We did this mostly because it is perceived to be a better product than an mdf or PB core and educating a client can be a long and often times a losing battle. And it was more readily available. In 2021 the plycore products became such an issue with warp age and poor quality we switched over to a PB core for all our rift sawn white oak slab veneer jobs.

We have a fairly new General Contractor client that we did a few jobs before this with the PB core product and there were no issues.

On the latest job with this client the homeowner is refusing to pay for the cabinets because all of the rift white oak used was PB core. We did not interact with the client at all. Everything went through the GC. And we are paid in full by the GC. The homeowner “doesn’t want an education on particle board”.

I personally have seen PB handle moisture better than the plycore products- in fact vastly superior moisture performance. It is vastly for flat- my primary concern when doing slab veneer jobs.

My GC and the client are now headed to court.

As professionals what are your opinions on PB being used for veneer?

Thanks in advance-

11/1/22       #2: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
Jim Herron

Your client is the GC
That said, his client isn't qualified to determine suitability of a product unless this was specifically discussed with the GC, and subsequently conveyed to you.
Also...where is all this theoretical moisture coming from that could damage the doors or fronts?
I use veneer core ply for the cases and install on 4 inch levelers
If water rises above the 4 inch level the cabinet doors are the least of their problems
The GC should educate their customer
Great news if you've been paid...

11/1/22       #3: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
RichC

Get your lawyer up to speed. If the GC looses, he'll come after you. I'm not a fan of edge banding PB, and if I did use it, I would put a 2 ply veneer on the faces to prevent telegraphing.

11/2/22       #4: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
JK Interior Finish Inc.

PB core venir.
1.5 mill solid wood banding .

No problems

11/2/22       #5: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
FM

Thank you all for your responses, please keep them coming.

I’m not sure how they would come after me. Their own (GC’s) house was the previous house we built with the exact same product and it had been delivered, installed by them and in use for 9 months before this was delivered. Furthermore they had bought 40 sheets of this product from me and have requested it be used on their next project after this troubled one since it hasn’t been used yet. All in writing. That seems pretty air tight to me that they knew what they were getting and were fine with it. I had ZERO interaction with the homeowner.

The most expensive cabinetry I see each year is all particle board import from Europe that’s runs high six figures per job for the cabinetry. It’s AWI accepted for custom level and premium level doors and carcasses as far as I understand. We all have our preferences but it is widely used, accepted and lasts for decades within our industry at the highest levels both residentially and commercially.

11/2/22       #6: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
Thomas Gardiner

Twenty plus years of pressing veneers on largely particle core panels. I far prefer it to ply, mdf for stability and adhesion. No problems banding to industrial PC.

11/2/22       #7: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
Mark B Member

How did the homeowner suddenly come to the revelation so late in the game (after install) that the doors were PB core? Seems odd that the GC wouldnt have a spec sheet far in advance of the client rejecting after installation (not that I would imagine that detail even being called out to the customer typically)?

Your quality and warranty is intact not that that would sooth an ornery client trying to dispute charges after the fact.

11/2/22       #8: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
RichC

Logic doesn't apply to our legal system.

11/2/22       #9: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
FM

Rich, this is an honest GC. They sent me a letter today stating in no way do they hold me responsible. That our product was exactly what they were expecting and met all their quality standards. That this was a teaching moment to better vet and communicate with their clients and that enjoy working with my business and look forward to in the future.

Good folks who aren’t planning to pass the buck.

11/3/22       #10: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
Josh Koschak

How many square feet is this job? Could you and the GC split the costs and run the new door panels in the homeowner's choice of core material? It may cost you time and money but much less than what the court fiasco will cost the GC. You'd be the here and everyone could move on.

11/3/22       #11: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
RichC

FM, very happy for you. But until the customer and the GC make this all go away, I'd still loose a little sleep. Just me and my experience with lawyers. I lost sleep for 2 years with one deal until it met the time limit for legal action.

11/4/22       #12: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
Adam B Member

This may be a little off topic, but how did the end client even find out what the core material of the doors was? I am picturing a slab door with all 4 edges edge banded. I have been in the custom residential world for over 30 years and have never once had a client question the material used after delivery. I have had clients over the years ask about specific materials during the design phase and also when they were learning about our company.

My favorite story was the guy that bought a bunch of pre-made cabinets for his cabin from the local home store. He took delivery of the products which were shipped in boxes/packaging that like anything else had materials and warnings listed on the outside of the packaging. He returned all of it because of the formaldehyde warnings, came to us and ordered all his cabinetry which we had to source all formaldehyde free and "green" products. I didn't think too much about it until we got to the angled cabinet in his bathroom which was really close to the toilet and he didn't want any doors on it. I thought it was an odd place for that cabinet and even more so that he just wanted open shelves vs a door to hide typical bathroom items/supplies. His response was that the location of the angled end of the cabinet along with the open shelving was the perfect place for his ash tray while he was doing his business.

11/4/22       #13: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
Kevin Dunphy

Open and shut most cabinets in the world are particle board, doesn't matter what someone else thinks with that said, Ikea spend million and million in court you need another case similar that Ikea or the same situation to throw the case out of court.
Also last I checked there is no standard in cabinetmaking, it's the wild west on construction
Josh has a good point whether right or wrong redoing doors would be an easy fix.
Just did extra work because I said yes I could do the extra work didn't say could do it for free, sucked it up did extra work charges for free did not want to go to court you lose always in court even if you win
But I feel for the GC

11/4/22       #14: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
Mark B Member

Its all speculation but my guess is this is less about the slab construction and more about a customer that is willing to pounce on something to not pay the GC for and get a discount either greedily or through some contract line oversight on the GC's part. If it were truly about the core material it wouldnt be a dispute over payment, it would be I want the doors replaced.

I posted the same question as Adam a bit back in that I would have no idea how an average client would ever even become aware of the core material unless there were some instance where a door slab was off the box with the hinges removed or something and they could see in the cup hole or some other site modification. That or someone in the crew or a sub somehow mentioned to the homeowner an issue of high end cabs having particle board. Even at that it would have to be a catch on the GC's part where some line in their contract had been overlooked and not updated that stated to the customer way back in the contract phase that there would be no particle board cabinetry or something to that effect.

I could easily see a GC having a contract that excludes particleboard due to its established reputation with the retail homeowner and then when a supplier has a sound PB solution that is allowed and amending the contract gets missed leaving the door open for the homeowner dispute.

You cant deny the reputation particle board has in a retail customers eyes. We've all had slip shod/knock down crap furniture, shelving units, closet organizers, that simply fall apart in short order and go in the trash even to this day. Its not the non-cabinetmakers fault that they still dont trust the product even though we are completely aware of the material advancements and better construction methods.
11/4/22       #15: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
FM

I have offered “to be a part of the solution” if I can help.

Doesn’t sound like this is the only issue, was just the last straw between the strained relations.

There were a few carcasses as well - master closet cabinets for example- which was the tip off to the client. It looked first rate. Would perform first rate. But….

Bottom line is I had no contact whatsoever with the client. I had delivered the same product twice in a row to this GC before this- actually their own home and they knew the product inside and out. And they were happy with it. And we have future orders for the exact same product with them and they and I have had the discussions with those future clients about why we use industrial high density PB core in this instance.

11/4/22       #16: Particle Board Core Slab Veneer Doo ...
Mark B Member

So just for $hits and giggles.. what was in the in the closet system that tipped the homeowner off to particle board?

I understand, and am happy, that you are not being held obligated to this oversight but it would undoubtedly be very valuable information to the rest of us as to how this whole thing unraveled? What in the closet system set the customer off? Where was the oversight in communicating to the customer that changes could be made to the cabinet spec at any point in time by the GC without customer approval? Things like that?

I have zero doubt you likely shipped the product you were paid to supply and would stand by your warranty but my question is what was the confluence of events that brought this all to this culmination? Shitty customer is likely high on the table, but there's got to be more than that. How did they find out about the PB core? Etc?

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • Cabinetshop Maestro
      Web-Based Project Management Software for Custom Cabinet Shops - Manage Jobs from Prospect to Punchlist Through Scheduling, Task Management, Time Tracking and Communication
    • WalzCraft
      Custom Doors and Wood Products
    • Tooling on the Web
      Tooling and Tooling Accessories - Free Re-Sharpening for Qualifying Tools
    • Elias Woodwork & Manufacturing
      Solid Wood Cabinet Doors, Furniture, Dovetail Drawers, Mouldings, and Related Items
    • American Fabric Filter Co.
      Provider of Custom Made Filter Bags and Transfer Sleeves
    • Parts Cutter CNC
      CNC Cabinetry and Closet Parts
    • ETK International
      New and Used Woodworking Machinery, Spare Parts and Superior Service
    • Lignomat
      Moisture Meters and Monitoring Systems
    • Sandman Products
      Affordable Sanding Tables and Inspection Lighting
    • Cab Parts
      Pre-manufactured Components for Easy-to-Assemble Cabinet Boxes
    • Onsrud Cutter
      Router Tooling for Woodworking, Plastic and Non-Ferrous Metal Manufacturers
    • Better Vacuum Cups, Inc.
      Vacuum Cups for All CNC Routers As Well As Many After Market Parts for Your CNC
    • Colonial Saw
      North American Supplier of Striebig Panel Saws, Lamello Specialty Tools and a Wide Range of Saw and Tool Grinding Machinery

Become a Sponsor today!