CNC

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

upgrade thermwood controller

1/13/15       
Scott A Weinmann

I have an old 1991 Thermwood machine that does not work. It is a 13000 lb monstrosity that has been a paperweight in my shop for the past 2 years. When I originally bought it, I was told it worked, but after exhausting all my resources at the time, I found a bad controller and a few bad parts that need replacing.

Trying to get it up and running... am thinking the best way forward is to upgrade the controller as I have little interest in replacing the original computer with another 1991 286 equivalent computer...

Does anyone on here know of an affordable option to upgrade? Just received numbers from MachMotion, but they priced the parts at $15000 - seems extreme to me... there must be a hobbiest PC controller that will work.

The system is wired up at 480 - 3 phase and everything is as it should be except for the computer and a few minor parts... any wisdom offered would be appreciated.

1/13/15       #2: upgrade thermwood controller ...
rt

I had the exact machine, tore out all the controls except for the power supply and bridge rectifier. Installed gecko stepper drives (yours probably is stepper) and a Flashcut controller. Worked pretty good but still a 13,000lb monstrosity. Takes a fair amount of work but I really enjoyed the project, however you may not like that kind of thing. For me it was my first router and I upgraded fairly quickly! If your looking turn key plug and play retrofit 15k is probably reasonable, I'd look for a used router that's more modern.

1/13/15       #3: upgrade thermwood controller ...
Will Williamson  Member

How much does thermwood want to update and provide life time tech support?

1/13/15       #4: upgrade thermwood controller ...
John Meachen

I would echo the advice to contact Thermwood,they will have a better idea of whats involved than anybody else and they are not unreasonable people.You should also have some assurance that their solution will work.

If you decide to tackle the project yourself I would suggest looking at several alternatives.Mach3 is probably the best known,USBCNC is free and works with several generations of Windows.LinuxCNC does the same sort of thing and is also free and has the advantage that there are no viruses likely to come along.

1/13/15       #5: upgrade thermwood controller ...
B.H. Davis  Member

Since this was a PC controlled machine I would think another PC control package should be able to do the job.

You can give Kelly Davis a call at WinCNC at (304) 472-7206. WinCNC is a highly regarded PC control package used by a number of current router manufacturers. Kelly will be able to tell you if it will work with your older Thermwood machine. If so then any relatively current PC will do the job.

Good luck,
BH Davis

1/14/15       #6: upgrade thermwood controller ...
Scott A Weinmann Member

Thank you all for the good advise... The current setup on the router is not pc based - I was only referring to the 286 motherboard and technology that Thermwood used at the time. This will be more of a hobby router for me, and I simply can't put 15k more into it or my wife will divorce me!

So far to this point, with wiring, vacuum setups, delivery, and all the other monies spent on the machine I have 28k into it. I know this is money lost and I cannot re-coup these funds, but it's more than disheartening to know that after such an investment I do not have a functioning system. Stupid investment on my part and if I could change it, I would, believe me. Guess it only strengthens the argument for paying for quality right from the start. As a general contractor, I thought (stupidly) that I could get this machine up and running.

The Thermwood guys are great. They quoted me a new motherboard for this system 2 years ago at around 3k... that with misc other parts should get me up and running for around 5k total if I do the work - and I'll have a system that will function. I guess the real question at this point though is - is it worth it? Or, should I scrap this machine entirely and go with a newer system.

I am primarily a roofer, but grew up building cabinets and working with wood, so this router was a dream of mine to own, but haven't thought of a nice little niche market to make it profitable yet. Most of the routers I have looked at and priced (Multi-cam, NewCNC, etc.) are in the 50K price range and I just can't justify the cost without a way to make the system pay for itself.

Unsure of the best direction...

1/14/15       #7: upgrade thermwood controller ...
rt

Do you know if it is stepper or servo? Makes a big difference on a retrofit. If it is stepper, you could easily do a retrofit for less than 5k, IF you can do the work yourself.

1/15/15       #8: upgrade thermwood controller ...
Scott A Weinmann Member

Servo... will look at the actuals tomorrow and post online since I have such a knowledgeable audience... thank you guys for your continued responses

1/15/15       #9: upgrade thermwood controller ...
nik

I retrofitted a Precix 4x8 router this year for about 1500$. It is also a servo machine. Used Gecko servo controllers, and a smooth-stepper ( converts Ethernet signal into pulses for the breakout board. Used Mach 3. Pretty easy conversion really.

1/19/15       #10: upgrade thermwood controller ...
Scott A Weinmann Member

received a quote from the guy I purchased the router from 3 years ago... off the hip quote with no research was 10k for machmotion upgrade or around 25-30k for fanuc controller. Would machmotion do what I need?

1/19/15       #11: upgrade thermwood controller ...
John Meachen

Have you asked Thermwood about a comparable upgrade?They have always been willing to incorporate recent developments when asked and you might be more able to sell a machine with a Thermwood upgrade.In fact it could be a lot like a more recent machine.A switch to a windows based controller and a network card could make your work a lot more efficient.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Onsrud Cutter Vortex Tool Company T-Tool USA