Dust Collection

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

your recommendation for an automatic full-barrel shutoff

4/21/13       
Mark Koons Member

As in an earlier post, I'm putting together a 7-1/2 Hp cyclone with cartridge filters out of incomplete sets of parts.

I recognize the necessity of a sensor and switch to shut off the system when the dust barrel gets full so I don't blow my filters full of cyclone-extracted crud.

What sensor/shutoff hardware is reasonably cheap, reliable, easy to install, and to transfer from one collection barrel to the next?

4/21/13       #2: your recommendation for an automati ...
C J Struthers  Member

Mark:
Give the guys at Oneida Air Systems a call. They offer a variety of alarms, sensors and the are really great to work with. I'd also suggest you enlist their help in designing your system. Efficiency and economy are both strong points of their engineering department. Money well spent!

C J

4/22/13       #3: your recommendation for an automati ...
David R Sochar Member

There are two basic ways of indicating a full bin.

A 'bindicator' is an arm that floats about the material. As the material builds up, it raises the arm, turning on a light, sounding alarm or shutting down. Tricky to get the arm adjusted right and to have material build with different species, size, etc.

A magnehelic gauge will read the pressure withing the ductwork, and when filters are full, the pressure will drop. This can be linked to a switch that will indicate or you can just look at the gauge.

4/30/13       #4: your recommendation for an automati ...
Mark Koons Member

Thanks for your comments.

C.J., I agree, a design by one of the commercial dust collection companies would be ideal but I reject the idea for two reasons. My shop is a 360 mile round trip from the nearest of those professionals ( I live in Wyoming, a larger than average state with only half a million population) and I'm using a bunch of secondhand components, determined to minimize the cost of this project.

Also, David, could you furnish a brand or type name of the magnetic sensors you refer to? Are these the photo eye devices that shut off your blower or ring a bell or turn on a strobe?

My impression of this type of product is that they are more about the designer/manufacture understanding how to combine cheap components rather than being about excellent hardware. To the degree that assessment is correct, I'd like a recommendation for a reliable, reasonably priced choice if anyone knows of such a product.

On the other hand, I see many new and used bindicators on eBay. I assume they are first-choice, critical-applications hardware. Is that true or are they only obsolete, cold war era stuff?

4/30/13       #5: your recommendation for an automati ...
C J Struthers  Member

Mark:
Wyoming and South Dakota are old stomping grounds of mine! I lived in Hot Springs for a time and also in Jackson Wyoming for several years! Believe me I do understand your comment about it being 360 miles round trip to any of the resources I noted in my first post! I think that it is or at least seems like a 360 mile round trip to anything in Wyoming and South Dakota! I got very creative in my overnight accommodations on trips to and from.

With regard to accessing the air movement engineers at Oneida Air Systems they can often work from drawings and phone discussions so I wouldn't completely rule that approach out.

Good luck with your dust collector project! I'd enjoy seeing pictures once you've got it all up and running.

CJ

5/3/13       #6: your recommendation for an automati ...
Jim Randolph

I can't say enough good things about Oneida. As a hobbyist who needed dust collection and ductwork but couldn't afford an engineer to design a system for me, they were patient and expert. I worked with Amy Nichols there. Don't be put off that she's a "girl." She knows her stuff!

5/5/13       #7: your recommendation for an automati ...
David R Sochar Member

Mark - The gauges are magnehelic - not magnetic - and work off the pressure differential inside the system vs outside. They need to be sized to the application, with respect to placement and range.

Also, a bindicator is effective if it is placed in the bin correctly. In my experience, shavings will swirl around and pile differently - or pyramid - inside the collection chamber. Wenge dust will fall into the center, heavy and dense, while pine shavings may pile up in a far corner with the air currents, and never trigger the bindicator. This will certainly make bindicator placement a challenge.

I have never seen one in a barrel container, since most barrels are soon overwhelmed and replaced by a more efficient storage.

In my first one man shop, I had a one bag collector that I could fill in 30 minutes of planing. After a few months, I added up all the time I had spent fiddling with bags, hauling bags, all while I was still getting massive doses of fine dust. At my modest shop rate, I had already paid for a dust collector in lost time, I just did not have one.

I contacted Oneida and we worked up a great little system with return filtration that I put into a small closet sized shop addition. The air tight room will hold over 250 c/f of shavings, with a door at truck height so I can empty it easily.

Last word - expect lots of fiddling and perhaps mediocrity with your self made design. There is a world of difference between an engineered system and a cobbled together one.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)