Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

african mahogany louver doors

11/13/15       
jim Member

i have a bunch of African mahogany doors for a kitchen to stain fairly dark, I have stained the boxes and center island straight to the wood. these are all false louvers so when I stain and seal the grain raises pretty good. and takes a bit of sanding which can lead to cutting through the stain. would a 10% or so wash coat help prior to staining or any other tricks.thanks

11/13/15       #2: african mahogany louver doors ...
Robert Member

Sometimes it helps to wet them down first as it raises the grain. Then sand and stain.

11/13/15       #3: african mahogany louver doors ...
JIM Member

thanks Robert just lightly spray with water, out of spray bottle?thanks

11/13/15       #4: african mahogany louver doors ...
Robert Member

Some say it matters yet some say it doesn't but I'm happy using warm to warmer water in a spray bottle. No need to drench the project but it does need to be wet in order to raise the grain.

If you have a chunk of Mahogany laying around the shop ya might try futzing around on it prior to going full out on the louvers......just a thought.

11/13/15       #5: african mahogany louver doors ...
Howard

Jim, you didn't say, but looks like you're using a waterbase stain? You will often hear the suggestions to wet the wood to purposely raise the grain, knock it back, and then stain. A faster and just as effective approach would be to stain and then put on the seal coat. The seal coat keeps the fibers in the raised position, making it easier to sand smooth. This works with whatever sealer you are using, shellac, nitro, etc.

11/13/15       #6: african mahogany louver doors ...
Rick Mosher  Member

It's hard to make a suggestion without knowing what kind of stain you're using or how you are applying it.

Also it depends on the quality of the louvres, sometimes they vary wildly in color in less expensive doors. (sometimes even in expensive ones)

I would mask off the louvres and stain the rails and stiles however you are doing the rest of the kitchen, apply a washcoat of sealer to set the color and then spray stain on the louvres.

Tape off the door if the stain you are using will bite into the sealer otherwise you can just wipe off the overspray.

If the louvres vary in color you can seal the stain and then tone in the offending ones.

11/13/15       #7: african mahogany louver doors ...
Paul Snyder  Member

I'm wondering what's raising the grain? That's an easy problem to avoid....

11/13/15       #8: african mahogany louver doors ...
Jim Member

I am using a Mohawk wiping stai. Seal with pre cat. Thanks

11/13/15       #9: african mahogany louver doors ...
Jim Member

Sorry seal with vinyl sealer first

11/13/15       #10: african mahogany louver doors ...
Paul Snyder  Member

Jim - I see a few different types of wiping stains on the Mohawk site but they are all solvent based and should not raise the grain. Maybe it's just the wood...(?) I've had rare cases where the wood got crazy nibs when I sprayed the sealer - see the attached picture. I just sanded carefully and re-coated. It ended up taking an extra coat - I had to sand the second coat aggressively to get it smooth.

If you use a wash coat on the wood before staining it will lighten the color quite a bit. You could replace the color with a shading stain or toner, but it will look different than the cab boxes and island. It's best to use the same steps on everything to avoid the job being rejected.

Is the wood still smooth after you wipe the stain (the grain raises when you spray the clear)? If so, try dusting the sealer on until it forms a coat that you can sand (very thin coats - just wet enough to wet the surface of the stained wood before it flashes off).

Anything come to mind that might explain why the grain is raising?

View higher quality, full size image (640 X 480)

11/14/15       #11: african mahogany louver doors ...
Jim Member

Paul, your right the stain goes on fine. Bites kind of hard but the grain raises after my first coat of sealer. I will try as you recommend dusting the first coat. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

11/14/15       #12: african mahogany louver doors ...
Paul Snyder  Member

Jim - I thought of another idea you can try. Add a little fast drying polyurethane or boiled linseed oil (BLO) to your stain. Normally you'd want to take into account that linseed oil dries slowly and can cause adhesion problems if you topcoat it too soon. But you're using vinyl sealer and that will take care of the potential problem.

A basic stain consists of a binder, pigment, and lots of solvent. The stains we use typically have a very weak binder that dries fast and doesn't seal the wood. By adding the polyurethane or drying oil, the stain will seal the wood and stop it from swelling when you apply the finish. Note that the added poly/oil binder will also glue the pigment to the wood much stronger so you won't be able to go back and easily fix streaks, drips, smears, glue spots, and scratches before you topcoat

Add the fast dry poly or BLO at 5% - 10% by volume and use the stain per usual. If you use the linseed oil, take precaution against spontaneous combustion by laying the stain rags out flat or submerging in water until the stain dries.

11/14/15       #13: african mahogany louver doors ...
Jim Conklin  Member

I recently had some cabinets made with cheap oak veneered ply come in for finishing. The grain was fine after staining, but the first coat of sealer pulled whiskers up out of the veneer. Which, of course, cut off white when we scuffed. The very thin sealer coats like Paul mentioned avoided it. I think the 'pull' of the shrinking sealer lifted the whiskers.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)