Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Spraying white conversion varnish

5/28/19       
SteveL Member

I've always struggled with spraying white and getting it to cover the wood color differences. We are spraying Axalta Ultra Guard with a CAT CRP gravity gun. The biggest problem seems to be I have to thin 35-45% in order to get it to lay down, then there is hardly any white left to the mix. We try to put heavy coats on and get a good white in two coats but it seems to always take three coats and a lot more time than expected. With all the reducer we have to used retarder to keep it from drying before we are done with the door but we cant seem to get that right either.

I must admit finishing is not my first love and I am no expert. I've struggled with this for a long time, but we usually only do 20-30% painted cabinets so I've just stumbled through it. We are getting more demand for painted and its going to drive me nuts if I don't get it figured out.

I have a kremlin AA but I have been too scared to put any pigmented through it. I'm assumeing I could get by with less thinner using a pump and have better coverage. Does anyone recommend switching from clear to white with AA pump? I would like to keep the colors separate in a cup gun if possible but would consider using the pump if it would save me hassle.

Also,I have also heard of some sort of fine white filler in a tube that can be used during finishing to fill the cracks in door ends and such, can someone tell me what this is?

5/28/19       #2: Spraying white conversion varnish ...
JM

Buy a second pump. A CAT 14:1 pump can be had for $1680 from spray gun world. We have had one of these for 10 years and it has been fantastic. We are very hard on it, dont clean it as well as we should, and it just keeps on working. We have rebuilt the gun once, and the pump once, and have just ordered parts to rebuild the pump for the 2nd time.

We used to switch back and forth between clear and colours, and it can be a bit of a nightmare with getting specs of white in your clear over a dark stain.

We started with The CAT bobcat, then bought a Binks MX. We use the CAT for clears, and Binks for pigmented. When one of them finally dies and needs replacing, it will be another CAT. It works every bit as good as the Binks, but parts are 1/3rd the price.

The other benefit to the 2nd pump, is you always have a back up ready to go in case a seal blows or whatever.

5/28/19       #3: Spraying white conversion varnish ...
Gary

Steve what size tip are you using in the CPR?

5/28/19       #4: Spraying white conversion varnish ...
Bruce H

Hard to beat a Kremlin. I have one for clear, one for white and one for primer. I'd be willing to put a color in the primer gun but the other two I wouldn't change.

5/28/19       #5: Spraying white conversion varnish ...
SteveL Member

It's the 1.7 tip, I remember trying one of the larger tips once but didn't go so well.

Yes changing colors through the pump just seems like a recipe for disappointment down the road to me.

How about those of you who spray a dark paint and then a white, do you end up with a bunch of dark chunks coming through?
Would a guy have to have a clean pump dedicated just for white?

5/28/19       #6: Spraying white conversion varnish ...
JM

No issue mixing dark paints and white paints. We go back and forth all the time. If there is a spot of the previous colour sprayed, it mixes right into whatever the current colour is. We have never seen a single spot of another colour in the current colour. We use one pump for primer and that same pump for our paints spraying everything from white to black to anything in between. Never an issue.

The problem with clears, is the clear can’t hide the spot of colour, be it white, red, whatever, because it’s clear. So the spot will sit in the clear on top of your stained or unstained wood.

5/28/19       #7: Spraying white conversion varnish ...
Bruce H

I don't think the issue is the pump itself. It can be cleaned fairly well if you take it apart. It's the hose and what is stuck on the inside that is hard to clean.

5/29/19       #8: Spraying white conversion varnish ...
Shane

I disagree fully with having to use multiple pumps between pigments and clears. I work for a facility that goes through hundreds of gallons of coatings a week..... We run pigmented and clear through the same pumps/guns all the time...…. what you guys are seeing is bad housekeeping habits.... If you flush properly right at the time of product change there should be zero issues..... flush correctly... pull the gun screens and pump screens clean/replace if you have them and switch tips.... nonsense. The interior passages of the hose and gun are smooth... proper flushing with clean solvent the correct way will take care of residue...

5/29/19       #9: Spraying white conversion varnish ...
Gary

Agree with Shane, we also go through hundreds of gallons a week including a spray line that I spray clear and colors through. Only time we have an issue is when it was not cleaned properly.

5/29/19       #10: Spraying white conversion varnish ...
mauricio poli Member

Hi Steve!
Here we have just one pump for transparents and colored products.
What we discover is that we have to use off-white colors to help coverage on different woods. With a little tint you increase coverage.
We apply one coat, wait 10-20 minutes, and apply another coat without sanding (wet on wet), It also helps with coverage when we have wood colors diffences (MDF with pine for example). After 2 hours, we repeat the coats.
Do not use dark colors under white, you will have another problems.
Good Luck

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)