Furniture Making

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

starting small funiture shop

12/17/14       
Hugh Foley Member

I'm retiring from my general construction business and have been building furniture for my grand kids. Everyone loves the small tables and chairs, stools and other things I make so naturally I'm thinking about trying to market these upscale (all hard wood) pieces.
a couple of questions:
what basic machines should I be looking at besides table saw Mitre saw etc that I use now?
would a cnc be useful
mortice and tennon mx ?
any comments would be appreciated

12/18/14       #2: starting small funiture shop ...
SarcTag

I am thinking of retiring from my furniture business and starting a construction business.

I have been building dog houses and bird houses and am thinking of making them more upscale, large enough for humans to inhabit.

Other than the tools I already use, a chop saw and table saw, what else will I need? I was thinking a shovel and a cement mixer would be a good start. Maybe a paint roller or two, also.

Any ideas would be helpful.

12/18/14       #3: starting small funiture shop ...
mark

The best tool that you can have for such an endeavor is a solid business plan. Start there, outsource everything, and see where your greatest profit potential lies. Sorry for the oblique answer, but this process will help you to answer your direct question as well. The business plan sets some theoretical parameters, outsourcing sets a baseline for costs, then you're free to look at construction questions specifically: "if I make this part in house, then I'll need a router at $ cost and $ benefit." Or something like that.
I'm making no assumptions about your product, but by and large, people like nice things, and people buy crap.

12/18/14       #4: starting small funiture shop ...
Dave Nauman  Member

Tooling up for furniture making can be long term project. One person's ideal shop is not the same as the next person's. It mostly depends on what you're building and how you're building it, but in my experience a combination of high quality machinery and hand tools, emphasis on high quality, works best.

If you are seeing this message, your version of flash needs to be upgraded to view this video.
Click here to get the latest version of the Flash player.
12/18/14       #5: starting small funiture shop ...
rich c.

We're going to need pictures of the furniture before we can recommend machinery. Have you talked to your insurance company? I've heard manufacturing adolescent child furniture carries the highest liability than any other. Marketing is going to be a challenge. Have you looked at your competition at Toys-R-Us or online? Have you watched the video I'm linking below? I guess if you know a lot of rich Grandmas, go for it!

12/19/14       #6: starting small funiture shop ...
Bruce H

Reality 101, that video made me smile. So to the point!

12/22/14       #7: starting small funiture shop ...
Walt Turpening

The best advice I can give for success is make sure that your work is absolutely unique. Your business must have a monopoly on your product. Being a Windsor chairmaker or Arts and Craft cabinetmaker doesn't 'cut it' because the internet has changed the marketing playing field.

Yes, there are a couple of local people who will buy a small table to 'fit …' or … but you cannot compete with Ikea or offshore furniture businesses.

I left my corporate 'life' to make custom fitted benches, stools and chairs. Initially, I thought my business was going to be a local customer based business. Over the last 18 years I have customers from California to Maine, Alaska to Florida and locally, only about 1% of my business.

As for equipment, the best tool is your head. Power vs. Hand is a moot point and only comes to the fore when uniqueness vs large numbers of the same or similar parts are needed. Outsourcing is necessary for the parts you cannot make. If all you do is manage your suppliers then you are doing nothing different than before you retired.

A cabinetmaker told me, "As you get older, make lighter things." I have dropped about 20% of my designs from my offerings. Next year will have another 10% being dropped. Bigger complex designs have high profit margin but as each year goes by, moving them around the shop and studio becomes more difficult. I'm not one to hire as I hate managing people and correcting their mistakes.

12/23/14       #8: starting small funiture shop ...
D Brown Member

Walt , great advice , I wholly agree especially about trying to make lighter things but sometimes they want heavy stuff .

12/23/14       #9: starting small funiture shop ...
Walt Turpening

D. Brown, yea, I have run into people wanting heavy rockers with mass, thinking strength. When I explain about strength being in the design and execution of the joints and 200+ year old Windsors they get the idea. Then I talk about a chair to them and if they are happy with all the chairs they bought from furniture stores … things change.

No one, we build furniture for, will get younger and they are going to live with the furniture for a very long time (other wise why pay for custom work) and hopefully a few more generations will also. Light and strong is where I think uniqueness beats Ikea.

12/23/14       #10: starting small funiture shop ...
JeffG

I own a small cabinet shop myself and sell cabinets to local builders and people doing kitchen bath remodels. I have advertised for furniture in the phone book and on my web site with not much demand. If I understand you correctly this is a one man shop building things because you enjoy it not necessarily to provide a stable income. I would first start with a sample of something cool you can sell. For tools besides the obvious table saw, chop saw, and nailers, get high quality fences for each to make accurate and repeatable cuts for any angle. Large assortment of clamps, 15 inch planer, 3 hsp shaper, and a good palm router, bandsaw, drill press, dedicated mortiser, panel saw for sheet goods or table tops. Do some research at your local library on building jigs.

12/26/14       #11: starting small funiture shop ...
Jerry

If you are going to be doing this to keep yourself occupied in retirement, then go for it, and have some fun. If you are planning on bringing in an income, you might want to think again. You will be forced to do projects that you don't really want to do for too little money. There is a very limited market for expensive handcrafted furniture. Sure, everyone loves those stools you made, but very few will actually shell out the cash to put them in their home. Most people with that kind of money to spend already have their furniture needs covered. They also have specific tastes. Your designs will most likely not fit with what they have going on. If you do find someone that has a need for a furniture piece, it will be because the factory made piece that they like is 3" too big for their space. They will want you to make them an exact copy, this includes the 14 step finishing process, and they want it for the same price. Good luck!

12/27/14       #12: starting small funiture shop ...
JeffG

One man shops are great source for specific skill. One way for a sustainable income is not to compete with the big box store or the larger cabinet shop but rather sell products to the larger shops that are not economical for them to do in house such as inlays, scroll work, turnings, hand cut dovetails. Perfect these skills and sell them to every big shop and work as much or as little as you want.

1/31/15       #14: starting small funiture shop ...
Jeff Brown  Member

Hey Hugh,

Just thought I'd post a quick suggestion from my perspective. Maybe you might want to consider rather than setting up a shop blind, joining a cooperative, or small shop looking for a tenant. When I lived in Boston in the 80's, there were many small, good, productive and well equipped shops looking for guys like you to help pay the rent and contribute a machine or two.

Most of the shops that I was aware of myself, at that time were mostly composed of furniture guys and artists who showed stuff in galleries, but their bread and butter was one of a kind cases, built-ins, furniture, baby furniture, stuff for designers and architects...etc. I once worked as an apprentice for a guy in such a shop which had with a world class furniture restoration guy who did stuff for the Museum of Fine Art, Boston, along side a hobbyist turned professional and a few other various woodworkers that were the mainstay of the shop. At the same time there was even one home builder who had use of the shop here and there.

Sharing with your skills, machines, rent, jobs, ideas and friendships sure sounds a lot more manageable to me then trying to figure it out all on your own. If you are a friendly and experienced builder with good hands, I am sure you can find folks where you will be a welcome resource not just to help pay the rent directly but possibly as a source of jobs....being in the bus. as you are.

I'm sure you would find much of the help you are seeking now, in that kind of environment, learning as you go....contributing where you can. And If you find it doesn't quite work out for you, you haven't invested in machinery and resources that you have to unload and might lose money on.

Maybe some of the guys in your area on this board could help you find where such a shop would advertise.

Good Luck,

Jeff

2/23/15       #15: starting small funiture shop ...
markbattles Member

Start there, outsource everything, and see where your greatest profit potential lies. Sorry for the oblique answer, but this process will help you to answer your direct question as well. The business plan sets some theoretical parameters, outsourcing sets a baseline for costs -

2/24/15       #16: starting small funiture shop ...
Larry

"would a cnc be useful" Can't tell w/o knowing more about what you intend to make and what volume. I'd hold off on that unless there is something that absolutely requires the CNC.
"mortice and tennon mx ?" We've got a Festool hand held morticer that is very nice and would be great for a small shop furniture operation. They come in two sizes. A bandsaw is very handy. I picked up a 17" MiniMax @ auction for $400 that has been much better than the 14" Delta I had. Kid stuff & insurance!

4/29/15       #17: starting small funiture shop ...
Peter Petersen  Member

If you are going to be doing this to keep yourself occupied in retirement, then go for it, and have some fun. If you are planning on bringing in an income, you might want to think again. You will be forced to do projects that you don't really want to do for too little money. There is a very limited market for expensive handcrafted furniture. The best advice I can give for success is make sure that your work is absolutely unique. Your business must have a monopoly on your product. Being a Windsor chair-maker or Arts and Craft cabinetmaker doesn't 'cut it' because the internet has changed the marketing playing field.

1/14/17       #18: starting small funiture shop ...
Betty Floyd Member

Starting a business can be a daunting task. Especially for the home-based business owner. Finding financing is only one of the issues you face as a new business owner. Because you are going to be working out of your home, you need to be extra careful when setting up your business. You need to have everything planned out before you even open your doors. When an individual makes the decision to start their own business from home there are a thousand and ones things to do, but one of the most important things is to ensure that you have the essential basic equipment you need to get your business up and running. But you don't have to spend a fortune to get the basics you need to get up and running. My father was in this business for many years and many of my relatives work in a office furniture company http://www.officesolutionsfl.com which not only sell furniture but also helps in liquidation. I think basic machines or tools you need to have apart from table saw mitre are Power jointer and thickness planer. Circular saw, for rough dimensioning (especially long rip cuts). Hand saws, a router and two router bits. Jigsaw, for cutting curves. Combination square and tape measure, along with crayons, pencils, a knife and an awl for marking. Also Bevel-up, Low-Angle Jack Plane, Small Hammer, Bevel-Edge Chisels, Pocket Square and things like this. I think CNC will be a good investment.I hope this will help you some how.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)