Furniture Making

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Split headboard

3/27/15       
Russ Member

I recently built this solid cherry bed. After delivery (bout 2 weeks) the client called said the headboard had split in the upper right corner. The picture primarily shows the footboard, but the headboard is built the same way just taller. See areas indicated. I cant figure out why the wood would split like it did-even if expanding it doesn't explain why it split in this location. Any insight would be great. thanks.

View higher quality, full size image (874 X 648)

View higher quality, full size image (649 X 695)

3/27/15       #3: Split headboard ...
rich c.

What's the joinery to the leg? Hopefully not glued mortise and tenons top and bottom. I'm guessing that headboard is solid wood, grain running opposite of the leg. Solid panel shrinks in the winter, leg does not shrink in length, headboard cracks. Woodworking 101 on what not to do with solid wood. Crack looks to start at the tenon? Either that or you did not allow enough slop in the mortise for the wood to shrink. That's a lot of width in that panel, probably shrinks 1/4 to 3/8 from season to season. Looks like to get to make another one with allowance for wood movement this time.

3/28/15       #4: Split headboard ...
Russ Member

Mortise and tenon as you surmised, but I did leave some slop at the top and bottom edge of the tenon cheeks, drove a single peg through the leg and center of the tenon (drawbored) on the back side (not shown) to keep in place. We're in SF bay area so not too much variation in humidity...perhaps they had the heater turned up. Either way its gonna take some redoing. Any suggestions on joinery at the leg? thanks.

3/28/15       #5: Split headboard ...
Gene Wengert-WoodDoc

Wood shrinks and cracks like this for only one reason...it has lost moisture. Do you know the humidity in your shop and in the bedroom, as well as the actual moisture content when you made the piece?

3/28/15       #6: Split headboard ...
rich c.

Did you draw bore top and bottom? Glue top and bottom? One of those mortise and tenon joints has to be able to slide. That means no glue in one of them. You can pin the dry joint, BUT, you must elongate the hole in the tenon. Dry fit, transfer the location of the pin hole to the tenon, take it back apart, and make that hole in the tenon with a router. It has to be at least 3/4" wider in the vertical direction so that wood can slide back and forth when it changes. I would have made that panel float, and had a frame around it. Then you can glue up the m&t solid into the legs and the panel has room to expand and contract in the grooves of the rails.

3/28/15       #7: Split headboard ...
David R Sochar Member

I see the panel as a mock frame and panel, but one piece of wood, and agree with the others that this is shrinkage.

Had you made the piece as a a true frame and panel, floating a solid wood panel within a frame that is securely fastened to the legs, then there would be no problem .

3/28/15       #8: Split headboard ...
Gene Wengert-WoodDoc

If you float the panel, but finish the panel in place, it is possible that the panel will shrink, pull away from the frame a little bit and some unfinished wood will be exposed (a white streak). So, oftentimes it is best if the panel is finished before finally assembly.

3/29/15       #9: Split headboard ...
mark

Just an additional note to point out that this sentiment:
"We're in SF bay area so not too much variation in humidity..."
is completely absurd.
If there were no variation in RH, then it would be either raining all of the time or never raining at all. Likely, it would have to always remain exactly the same temperature as well.
Making any piece of furniture out of wood which necessitates a fixed humidity level will result in failure.

3/30/15       #10: Split headboard ...
markbattles Member

I'm guessing that headboard is solid wood, grain running opposite of the leg. Solid panel shrinks in the winter, leg does not shrink in length, headboard cracks. Woodworking 101 on what not to do with solid wood.

3/30/15       #11: Split headboard ...
Gene Wengert-WoodDoc

The monthly change in OUTSIDE average humidity for San Francisco is very small, with an average of about 14% EMC at the airport, with a monthly average high of 15.1% and low of 13.6% EMC. This is not much change, but many locations in the U.S. change even less. However, right now it is 51 F at the airport, so many folks would have the heat on in the bedroom. Heating damp air by 20 F will create about 7% EMC INSIDE the home. A shop that does not develop such warm temperatures and that also has the heat turned off at night and on weekends in the cooler time of year will likely average around 10% EMC, so the wood will be 10% MC. (Lumber stored outdoors, even if kiln dried to a low MC, will be trying to get to 14% MC.). In a bedroom with the windows open in the warmer season, the air coming in will be around 14% EMC, so the furniture will be moving toward that high MC.

The bottom line is that although the OUTSIDE humidity is fairly constant in SF, as it is in many places, the interior environment does indeed vary, plus the shop may not be as dry as in a home. MC changes in wood furniture can be expected and must be accommodated in the design and in manufacturing.

To minimize moisture changes, lumber should be dried to 7.0% MC or a bit drier, stored at the same low value, and the shop should maintain the same low values at all times. In practice, a little too dry is many times better than a little too wet. Finally, to CYA, a shop should use a MC meter to check (and then record) the MC of lumber riot, during and after manufacturing. Lumber that is too wet should not be processed.

A rule of thumb, but see my earlier posting about wood shrinkage for details, a 1% MC change results in about 1/4% size change. In this case, a 24" wide panel that changes 4% MC will try and change its width by 1/4" and if restrained from shrinking will try and make a 1/4" wide crack.

3/30/15       #12: Split headboard ...
snugthejoiner

The area of the split looks like very short grain to me, and bear in mind that this is a bed. As a furniture design book I read early in my career delicately phrased it: "Beginning designers should bear in mind that beds are subject to active as well as static loads."

Not strong enough and it broke during use.

3/30/15       #13: Split headboard ...
Gene Wengert-WoodDoc

Indeed, parts of a bed or other furniture can be under high stress. Such stress can crack the wood, but an open or wide crack indicates shrinkage.

3/30/15       #14: Split headboard ...
Glen

We are in Arizona and have done wood samples many times to measure expansion and contraction. Even in a low humidity area it will move up to 3/8" over time across the grain. We use veneered mdf panels with solid trim pieces for headboards and solid posts and never had a problem.

3/30/15       #15: Split headboard ...
B.H. Davis Member

Glued or not the bottom tenon is significantly wider than the top tenon. Combine this with what appears to be 24" to 30" of width and you are looking at a significant amount of movement being applied to the smaller top tenon.

To be honest I'm surprised it split as little as it did. I would think that other than a quarter sawn, known for stability species, over that width you are going to see enough movement to result in failure unless the top tenon is significantly oversized.

BH Davis

3/31/15       #16: Split headboard ...
Russ

Thanks to those who provided the constructive critique and good advice, its really appreciated. I had a chance to repair the damage and as suspected, some of the glue in the drawbore worked its way into the mortise on the right side where the crack occurred (left side looked good, but redid anyway) and the rest is history as thoroughly explained by Gene. I did check the MC at the home and on other cherry stock at my shop and it was between 6 and 8%. I estimate EMC is about 11% +/- 0.5 between shop and home (per table at http://www.csgnetwork.com/emctablecalc.html) but I suspect the home heater didnt help and perhaps weakness in the grain. The customer asked for solid cherry, but I like Glen's approach-something to keep in mind. I ended up remaking the top mortise and included an elongated bore and was careful to not get any glue in the mortise or on the tenon, its pretty solid and movement shouldnt be an issue-I'll hang on to the piece a bit to see if I can record any movement.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)