Sawing and Drying

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

solar vs. electric kiln drying schedules

5/12/14       
Heinrich Member

should I attempt to apply the same trying schedules on a solar kiln as for an electric kiln. How does the inconsistent heat source day/night affect the drying process. I finally have the possibility of installing a solar kiln but am uncertain about the heat and humidity controls.

5/13/14       #2: solar vs. electric kiln drying sche ...
Gene Wengert-WoodDoc

Solar kilns seldom have any controls. The fans and vents are operated manually--fans turned on in the morning after the kiln has heated up about 20F and off at night an hour or two after sunset. Vents are opened fully for fast drying species and kept closed most of the way for slower drying. When low MCs are need, then the vents are closed 99% to maximize heating. You should read the instructions that come with the VA Tech kiln design or the Wisconsin design. All are the same and based on what I first published in 1978.

The cooling at night is very beneficial...it provides for 100% RH which then relieves the drying stresses (also called casehardening).

5/13/14       #3: solar vs. electric kiln drying sche ...
Heinrich Member

Thanks Gene, so how then do the drying times compare from a solar kiln to an electric kiln. Under ideal conditions along the east cost (upstate New York) how much longer on average would a solar kiln take then an electric kiln to reach the proper MC. Can you elaborate on this. This would be helpful to me, so as not to create unrealistic expectations.

5/13/14       #4: solar vs. electric kiln drying sche ...
Henco Viljoen  Member

Problem with pure solar kiln is that drying times is not predictable. I am busy building my second hot water hybrid kiln that utilizes a combination of solar water heating, heat pump water heating and de-humidification to
to run a controlled schedule for drying of Eucalyptus saligna at between 48-51 Deg C (118 F - 124F) and RH% starting at 60% going down to 40%. Estimated drying time will be less than 9 days from ± 50% to 12 % MC

5/13/14       #5: solar vs. electric kiln drying sche ...
Gene Wengert-WoodDoc

In the U.S., wood and natural gas energy is so inexpensive that it is hard to justify using solar or other forms, such as electricity, based on energy price considerations alone. In some cases, solar energy systems have a government subsidy, such as a tax credit or even an outright grant, which makes solar feasible.

Solar drying time depends on the amount of energy collected. During six months of the year, the roof collector at 45 depress will collect, on the average about 1000 BTUs per day per square foot using a cover that is 85% efficient (glass is better, but it is also breakable band heavy). That means that each square foot will evaporate 1 pound of water per day, on the average...at 100% efficiency (no building heat losses and no vent losses).

If we consider a 1500 BF solar kiln with 150 square feet of roof area, and we have oak lumber going into the kiln green and this means about 2200 pounds of water to be evaporated per MBF, and also assume that the kiln is overall about 60% efficient (probably a bit high), then the kiln has 3300 pounds of water to evaporate, which will require 3.3 million BTUs of energy. With the useful energy in the kiln at about 600 BTUs per square foot, that means will will have about 90,000 useful BTUs per day collected, on the average. So, we are looking at 37 days to dry this lumber. Now, as we move past Sepatember, the solar energy input drops (lower sun angle and fewer hours of daylight), so drying time is extended. By November, drying is really slow and stays slow until March, at which point is begins to increase again.

Can you run a business that only produces dry wood during four or five summer months? Oftentimes, the answer is NO, so then a DH unit looks very attractive. With DH, to save the expensive electrical energy, the kiln is usually totally enclosed and well insulated. The capital cost is a bit higher per year than a solar kiln, but the cost is spread out over many 1000s of BF, so the cost per BF is lower. Note that with this design, it becomes reasonable to consider a separate solar collector that would provide hot water heating. But, as mentioned, in the U.S., hot water or hot air heated with natural gas or wood is a lot cheaper than solar, electric and most other fuels.

Here is a comparison of providing 3.3 million BTUS (April 2014 prices)

Electric heat $145
Electric DH $72
Fuel oil $93
LP $76
Natural gas $28
Wood variable $39

We must also factor in the burner needed. With electric, none or small; DH uses a compressor; the others use a furnace of some sort, with natural gas being the cheapest. Wood looks cheap, but there can be fuel preparation and storage costs.

5/14/14       #6: solar vs. electric kiln drying sche ...
Dave Boyt

You might check out Gene's article on solar kilns in the current issue of Sawmill & Woodlot Management magazine. Thorough & well written.

Sawmill & Woodlot Management magazine

5/15/14       #7: solar vs. electric kiln drying sche ...
Heinrich Member

Thank for your help. I am planning to install this kiln off site, at a location with no electricity. Living in NYC real estate for solar kilns is hard to come by. I am looking into powering the fans with solar panels. Also because of the remote site I am hoping to be able to set it up such that I can leave it alone for up to five days without maintenance, since I might not be able to get to it during the week. This is a small kiln (4 x 10 feet or smaller) for my larger sculptural wood carvings. (see my website). It sound like that after some testing I should be able to find the proper setting between exposed glassing surface, the fan hours and vent openings so that I could leave it alone during the different stages. At least no risks of electrical fires... I have been pocking around in the Virginia Tech paper for Solar Kilns, but also of course the Oregon State University paper by Gene. Thank you Gene for all your freely accessible contributions and advice.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)