Sawing and Drying

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

wood kiln electric heater

10/29/17       
Mark Member

Hi
I've built a wood kiln and read other threads on this topic. Specifically I need an electric heater that will not shutoff until 140 degrees F . Everyone rated residential has a thermal switch for overheat protection. I know some exist for industrial use but can't find any rated for this temp at a reasonable price. Found many at 900 degrees for a fortune lol. Anyone know a specific manufacture and product. I found one that was in the UK up to 160 degrees F but was 3 phase and only sold in the UK. thanks in advance. P.S. I am aware of the wood dust issue and have taken precautions.

10/30/17       #2: wood kiln electric heater ...
J R in MO Member

Not knowing size of kiln, Check out the units in the counter top baking ovens.

10/30/17       #3: wood kiln electric heater ...
MarkB Member

Just use any heater that will deliver the btu/wattage input you need and locate the heater outside the kiln with a remote reading bulb thermostat. The heater will never see the heat temps that are inside the kiln and will just keep pumping in heat til the thermostat is satisfied.

10/30/17       #4: wood kiln electric heater ...
Mark B Member

Additionally if you really wanted to get fancy you could duct some return air from the kiln to the inlet side of the heater to boost your speed and save on electric. You could protect the heater buy installing a temperature actuated automatic vent opener similar to those used in a greenhouse. You could likely modify the vent opener to open a flap in the return air duct near the heater when the temperature inside the return air duct exceeded perhaps 80 or 90 degrees. This would allow you to pull heated air from the kiln back into the heater requiring the heater to raise the temperature by only 50-60 degrees (90 to 140).

As the temperature in the kiln rises, and the return air in the duct becomes hotter and hotter, the temperature actuated flapper would open more allowing ambient or outdoor air in keeping the return air within the limits allowable to the heater.

10/30/17       #5: wood kiln electric heater ...
Mark Member

Thanks Mark B.... thinking outside the box lol.
yeah, i think a fired forced air heater will do the trick and throw a duct over the heat outlet of the device. Just looking for the product that has the remote bulb that goes that high. worst case scenario I can wire a relay to the on off switch

View higher quality, full size image (2550 X 2550)

10/30/17       #6: wood kiln electric heater ...
Mark B Member

That cheapy goes to 210F. The heater you post will surely do the trick as long as your comfortable with distance and spark arresting.

Product Link

10/31/17       #7: wood kiln electric heater ...
Gene Wengert-WoodDoc

When the hot air from a heater goes into the kiln without the use of a plenum that is isolated from the hot heater (this is how a hot air furnace in a Home works), you have a very high risk of a fire, as wood dust can easily ignite at temperatures in the low 200F. So, at the least, make sure the kiln is not in a home or office and also install a smoke alarm. Better is to use a heating plenum to isolate the heater.

10/31/17       #8: wood kiln electric heater ...
rich c.

Best idea I've read about was using an element from a home oven, mounted to a thick piece of aluminum used as a heat sink. Worst I've seen is that torpedo heater mentioned.

10/31/17       #9: wood kiln electric heater ...
Tennessee Tim  Member

Mark, the main thing is to be careful with the safety side of this...MOST DH units have electric as a option. So that would entail safety switches AND components for HVAC systems....NOTE I'll keep ENDORSING SAFETY!!!! The force gas heat as the salamender is a NO-NO!!!! Dangerous as a cocked gun with a hair trigger AND it just got dropped!!!

I built my kiln and went with the hydroponics theory. I use a water heater with water pump and heater core. gives me 140+ deg off coils. I wanted to go electric HVAC unit BUT I couldn't find a HVAC person that could relate to the use of or how the operation could be set up correctly.

A Gas HVAC can be used IF air is kept filter heavily as there is NO flame contact to actual air in the kiln....all flows through a chamber NOT touching the flames....DON'T use anything with open flames!!!! Again Russian roulette!!!
Bottom line is ....BE SAFE!!! FIRE is a great risk!!!!

There's several companies that have small kilns for sterilizing.....maybe you need a "firewood" sterilizer....you are just trying to finish off the bugs with heat aren't you???? hint hint.

I beat the odds once BUT I almost cost myself a lot as one source of electric heat I tried the safety switch DIDN'T work...MAJOR melt down of parts.... I couldn't find my pics of damage BUT I got to it just prior to igniting. Bottomline is ...safety switches and company testings are for a reason!!!

I hope this helps. Enjoy drying SAFELY!!!

10/31/17       #10: wood kiln electric heater ...
Tennessee Tim  Member

UPDATE....
I found the pics....Did I mention MELT DOWN!!!!

Top pic mini kiln....
2nd pic weather station sending unit (actually still working on same batteries (NO choice, I can't replace them due to meltdown)
3rd pic hole melted through pink board

11/2/17       #11: wood kiln electric heater ...
Mark Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess the jist of this is that there is no quick product and the electronics need to be isolated. I like the water heater idea as I don't need to blow hot air inside and worry about pressurizing issues. ie sealed kiln. I'm just going to design it from the ground up. Its coming down to electric vs water pump idea. I am most comfortable with the electric, its just sourcing the parts.

11/2/17       #12: wood kiln electric heater ...
Mark Member

I had an idea....
electric floor radiant heating system.
This way no flame combustion issues. Electronics can be out side the kiln and i am sure the element can handle the high temp. just have to get the watts high enough at a fair cost

11/6/17       #13: wood kiln electric heater ...
Mark B Member

You may have a tough time getting the BTU conversion you need with radiant unless you use something like steel tubing designed for high pressure steam.

I know this will ruffle some feathers here but depending on the location and setup of your kiln I would not hesitate to use an open flame option with a plenum as Gene mentioned. If you have ready access to natural gas or propane (maybe not with propane) but it will be your cheapest heat source.

Your torpedo heater option is overkill. You may be over estimating the amount of heat input you need with an insulated kiln enclosure. That said, several other smaller options are out there.

You will have to decide if you want the work, and the liability, of a self built system, if so the options are endless, if not, as Tim says, by a DH unit with electric heat option and walk away.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • Forestry.com
      Forestry.com is a specialized platform with educational content and equipment for Loggers and Foresters
    • Baker Products
      Industrial Woodworking Machines, Wooden Pallet Manufacturing Machines, & Portable Sawmills
    • Rose Machinery
      Horizontal Band Re-rips, Standard & Custom Designed Machinery
    • Carter Products
      Band Saw Guides, Blades, Wheels, Tires, Line Lasers and 2D Projectors, Wide Belt Sanding Accessories, Vacuum Holding Systems and More

Become a Sponsor today!