Solid Wood Machining

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Groovers o.k. for tenoning?

9/4/14       
Correy Smith

Hello, I am looking at setting up to cut some tenons on the shaper. Unsure if there is a actual differnce between groovers and tenon discs in performance. The tenon discs seems safer as the groovers are more of a saw blade type design.
Any thoughts??

9/4/14       #2: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
David R Sochar Member

Yes, there is a difference. The groovers will require more pressure to make the cut compared to a dedicated grooving head. This gets a little hairy if parts in a tenon jig start to move because of how hard you have to feed.

Also, the better grooving/rabbeting heads will have scoring chips to prevent tear out at the exit point on the wood. They run with replaceable carbide chips, so are always on hand. They do not need to be sent out. I find that once on the shaper, one may be there for a week or more, and we will use it at will for all sorts of things.

The Amana heads I have are some of my favorite shaper tooling. The 160mm is about 6-1/4" in diameter. They can run up to 8,000 rpm, are perfectly balanced, come with shims to get to hair splitting accuracy, and really hum when running.

Amana Adjustable Grooving Head

9/4/14       #3: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
Correy Smith

Hi Dave, thanks for that.
I was looking at those as well.
Then was not sure that the adjustable groovers would be a good suit for tenoning. But would take your recommendation on that. I am looking for a smaller tenon size set-up for tenons up to 2.5" long.
I just picked up the amana shear rebate head 4+4 knives. Really nice for the price.

9/5/14       #4: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
David R Sochar Member

Another tenoning option is the Innovator heads from C G G Schmidt. The heads run small corrugated knives in HSS or carbide, and Schmidt or others can grind to your specs. Of course, Schmidt also can make tenoning discs for you to your specs. The Innovators are nice since they are excellent panel raisers, among other things.

I usually make large - passage door - tenons by roughing them out oversize on a Powermatic 2-A, then doing the final size and cope on the shaper with dedicated custom tooling - 3 wing brazed tooling or Innovator type tooling that I can grind myself.

With 2-1/2" tenons, 1-1/4" spindle and 1/2" x 2 spacer walls, the tenon disc needs to be 7-1/4" or larger. Wider spacers should give more accuracy in the spacing between discs/tenon thickness.

I like/need versatility, but 85% of what we do falls into the same tooling. The rest can all be done easily with the right pieces and parts, and it allows some wide flexibility in almost all dimensions.

It depends on what you are making - lots of the same, or many and varied.

9/5/14       #5: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
Joe Calhoon

Adjustable groovers with scribing spurs work fine for small tenons. Tenons 2 ½” long probably will require a 180mm diameter head if using a 1.25 shaft. The adjustable groover – multiuse 160mm diameter head in the picture will cut about 50mm deep using a 40mm spindle. These are usually Z2 with straight knives. This is one of the most used tools in our shop. The larger sizes can be used as rebate heads and small knives for radiuses and gasket grooves can be inserted. You can also stack different diameters to do simple rabbited glass frames.

Tenon disks like the other picture are usually Z3 with the knives raked. They cut a little easier and nicer but the groovers certainly work fine for small work. This one is 250mm diameter that will fit inside the hood of most HD Euro shapers. It is 50mm bore sleeve mounted. They can be ordered as disks to just mount on the shaft with spacers also. You will get more depth of cut this way and quicker to change to different tenon thickness. Sleeve mounted is better for dedicated work and sleeves are a must for the big exterior door and window 320mm diameter disks.

Joe

View higher quality, full size image (960 X 1280)

View higher quality, full size image (1280 X 960)

9/5/14       #6: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
Correy Smith

Great info guys.

Joe, your tenon set-up, bottom pics, fixed groovers. They are only 4 knife?
Adjustable for varying tenon thickness?

9/5/14       #7: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
Joe Calhoon

Correy,
The tenon head is Z3 (three knives) The pockets you see are for adjustable insert radius knives to do joint rounding. I found some old pics of the same head with a mid disk to produce double tenons. One shows the joint rounding and the other square edge with no rounding.

This head with its slotting mate was originally set up to do double square edge tenons on a shaper using a 30mm sleeve. We just had a job calling for a single square edge tenons so we remounted the top and bottom head on a 50mm sleeve so it could run on the tenoner.
As I said the sleeves are better suited for dedicated cuts. It takes 15 - 20 minutes to open a sleeve up with the chance to not get things back the way they were. We have now found a way to do single tenons of various thickness on the tenoner using a single disk.

View higher quality, full size image (1044 X 693)

View higher quality, full size image (550 X 400)

9/7/14       #8: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
Correy Smith

Thanks Joe.
On center sleeves, Do you order the sleeve and the the appropriate sized bore on the discs or are they factory set-up?

Dave made a good point about wider spacers with the larger diameter tenoning discs. From what both you guys are saying I would guess that there is some run-out with the larger heads?

I found some adjustable groovers in the EU that were not to poorly priced. Would I get them sleeved top and bottom?

Joe, your sleeved groover set-up I see you have down and up shears . Do you think they do a better job over a straight knife like in the adj. groovers?

I guess what my current wonder would be is if it is practical to have one large set-up that will do smaller work or is it more appropriate to have two set-ups large and small. Seems like it would be better to have less head exposed if I were making small doors for a spell. Safer for sure. Ideally I would like to do tenons upto the 4" length range ( or even 4.5" for thru tenon on traditional style entry doors).

thanks for all the pics. priceless.

9/7/14       #9: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
Joe Calhoon

Hi Correy,
I will try to explain the sleeved cutters a little better. This can get involved and I will just hit the high points.

You asked - "On center sleeves, Do you order the sleeve and the the appropriate sized bore on the discs or are they factory set-up?"

The disks on sleeve are usually set up at the factory. You can put your own together from parts from the same mfg. though. Each maker will have their own system and the size of sleeve and bore of cutters seem to vary between the different mfgs. For example the Garniga tenon disks we have been looking at has outside shaft diameter of 60mm. so all the cutters that fit this are 60mm bore. The inside bore of the sleeve can be anything between 30mm to 50mm. My Zuani sleeves are 63mm shaft and bore on the cutters with pins running through.

"Dave made a good point about wider spacers with the larger diameter tenoning discs. From what both you guys are saying I would guess that there is some run-out with the larger heads?"

No noticeable run out on these. They are well balanced and we are running on sturdy shapers and tenoners with 40 and 50mm shafts. You can run up to a 300mm diameter with a 1 ¼” shaft on a heavy duty shaper.

"I found some adjustable groovers in the EU that were not to poorly priced. Would I get them sleeved top and bottom?"

Adjustable groovers I would not put on a sleeve. As I said before sleeves are more for dedicated setups. You want to think of a sleeve as extra spindle for your shaper that you just put on with the cutters stacked and the correct spacers between. I think for cutting single tenons of different thickness you would not want sleeves. If the tenon thickness is always the same then a sleeve would be fine.

"Joe, your sleeved groover set-up I see you have down and up shears . Do you think they do a better job over a straight knife like in the adj. groovers?"

Yes those tenon disks have shear and they cut a little better and easier. The straight ones work fine for smaller tenons though.

"I guess what my current wonder would be is if it is practical to have one large set-up that will do smaller work or is it more appropriate to have two set-ups large and small. Seems like it would be better to have less head exposed if I were making small doors for a spell. Safer for sure. Ideally I would like to do tenons upto the 4" length range ( or even 4.5" for thru tenon on traditional style entry doors)."

The big one will work fine for both small and large but is more cumbersome to set up. We end up using the small adjustable groovers more for cabinet work and stub tenons on interior doors. Any of these over 200mm diameter I would not run with a sled. The bigger cutters need a sliding table for shaper use. Also, any cutter over the capacity of your shaper hood (250mm diameter on my Martins and most HD Euro shapers) will require a tenoning hood. 4 to 4 ½” tenons will require some serious disks.

Attached is a picture of some different type sleeves we use. On the right is an open sleeve. The cutters are held with pressure on the top cap. There is usually a pin running through all the cutters. These are good if you have to get into the cutters to re shim for different thickness. This cutter is used to do the inside profile on shaker type doors from ¾” to 2 ¼” thick.

In the middle is a threaded sleeve of the type used on the tenon disks from Garniga. These are a little old school and you can see the wrenches behind that are used to open them up.

To the left is a split sleeve. These are used when you want to be able to produce different thickness of doors or windows from the same cutterset. They can stack with different thickness spacers between the sleeves. They are cleverly engineered and can also be used to do curved rails without making a template.

The other picture is split sleeve tenon disks 320mm diameter. To cut 4 ½” inch tenons this is what you would need.

Hope this is not too confusing. I think you first need to look at your shaper to see what it can handle. We did a lot early on just using the larger adjustable groovers and the 250mm diameter tenon disks.
Joe

9/8/14       #10: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
Correy Smith

Hey Joe thanks again.
I have a 10hp SCM T130nps that I am slowly getting together tooling and parts for the sliding table set-up. It did not come ( 1998 used) with the extruded fence and stops, missing some t-nuts, etc... the small stuff. The table will accpt heads over 300mm so hoping I can use this for larger entry door work. I've been cutting tenons on the bandsaw and shoulders with a sled on the TS but it's a bit of a slow go. I hope to speed things up and get a bit more accuracy.
Also looking at aigner add-ons for it. The fence seems nice, as do some extension tables. Hoping I can build a tenon hood from ply.

Whats the feel of pushing the rail thru a big disc like what we've been discussing?
Are you using cam locking levers or pneumatic? One or two?

9/8/14       #11: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
Joe Calhoon

Hi Correy The T 130 should work fine for this with a sliding table. An inexpensive way to get into this is to stack 2 saw blades with a spacer between and cut the cheeks like you have been. Way faster and more accurate than a bandsaw.

These cut easy. Just keep the feed slow. I am used to the big disks but they are intimidating at first.

We use Mac Campshure's air tight clamps. They work way better than the cam type clamps. With the cam clamps you have to be careful. Too little pressure and the piece will suck into the head and too much pressure will distort the table.

Here is a link to my U Tube channel that shows tenoning on various machines.

Joe

Link

9/9/14       #12: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
Adam

We came up with a slick method for tenons and very accurate grooving a couple of decades ago. We had our sharpening shop bore out a regular high quality dado set. It gives you the smoothest finish on the tenons.

We originally ordered one from Forrest and it came prebored to 1 1/4". Years later I had CT Saw and Tool bore out an Amana set for my shop. It was cheap and works great.

9/10/14       #13: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
Correy Smith

thanks for that Adam. Makes you wonder why more people do not go that route.

Thanks for all the pics Joe and the generous advice from all. Very helpful, much appreciated.

9/11/14       #14: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
Adam

Correy,

The Amana sets are cheap. The carbide isn't as hard as the Forrest. The Forrest gives a better finish on the shoulders because they have 4 tooth chippers.

If you think about it for a second, the shaper is a table saw on its side.

The first time you turn it on, it will get your attention. The blades sing a bit more because its spinning a hell of a lot faster. The blades are rated for 10-12k depending on the brand.

Running an 8" blade with 24 teeth at 8k gives you some beautiful tenons.

9/13/14       #15: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
David R Sochar Member

One advantage of the insert tooling over reworked dado sets is that the insert tooling holds the OD of the tool thru sharpenings/replacements. This is important if jigs are used or close tolerances need to be held.

This also means that the tools don't ever leave your shop, so are always on hand and able to be sharpened at will.

A third advantage is that the tooling is engineered for the cutting forces found in shapers, and the RPMs and such will not cause problems. If the dado set option was a good, viable solution, I would think the tooling manufacturers would be designing and selling such tools.

9/13/14       #16: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
Correy Smith

Yeah I guess I am with Dave on this one. One of my first thoughts were if the sharpening house could get all the cutting circles for two sets of dado heads exact. It's probably possible but I really like the insert tooling. And for the cost of a large diamter quality dado set you can get a decent insert groover that will be more versatile in the end.

One of the details I am considering is if it is practical to expect that a tooling manufacturer can reproduce to within .001 additional heads, to say, create twin tenons and variations after they custom make the initial top and bottom heads. If I add a middle disc next year will it match the cutting circle? One Co. said it would be better to have them made all at once, dunno if that was the sales pitch.
Also with the dado heads I still would not be able to make larger tenons than 3.5". But I bet they work great for medium to small tenons.

9/13/14       #17: Groovers o.k. for tenoning? ...
Joe Calhoon

Just for kicks I had some old style groovers laying around and tried those. I think this was part of your original question. I would stay away from these. They were very difficult to push through even taking small bites. The 10" single saw blade was not bad but still a lot harder to push than the 250 and 310 diameter tenon heads.

With the 10" saw blade I could get 3 3/4" depth of cut with a 1 1/4" shaft. 2 passes for this worked better. I would think that a full dado would be harder to push yet. On my machine a 8" dado would only make a 3" tenon with 1 1/4" shaft.

I would think a good tool maker can hold .001 inch. We use constant diameter tooling and have never had issues with adding tooling later. Like anything though mistakes can happen

Joe

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)