Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

handling of tools

5/27/17       
John Skip Moore Member

I was courious how you guys hadle the way tools are handled. Do make the employee buy all hand tools, staple guns clamps etc.
Or other ? I am in a 15 to 20 man shop now have have to buy all this myself. When I had my shop I only had them buy what they wanted to use themselves .I supplied everything .
Thanks in Advance Skip

5/27/17       #2: handling of tools ...
Bill

We buy all tools. Each station has a standard set. All very high quality. It is expensive but I feel worth it. For example a lessor nailer dents the wood. A cheap tape does not measure accurately. Some take pride n the tools some not so much.

5/28/17       #3: handling of tools ...
Leo G

A person should have a very basic set of tools for themselves. Ruler, square, pencil, maybe some screwdrivers and pliers. But they are working for you and you should be supplying the main things for them. Each work area should be provided with area specific tooling for those people. I don't see why anyone should have to put out for anything other than basic tools to make you money.

5/28/17       #4: handling of tools ...
cabmaker

I remember reading an article about the day Boeing Airplane rolled the last employee-owned tool chest off the floor.

Heretofore the employees furnished their own tools. Some guys had complete sets and some just used their tool chest to store spare clothing and potato chips. Inevitably the lesser equipped would borrow tools from the properly equipped. When the tools ended up missing or damaged Boeing paid to replace them.

At the beginning and end of each shift Boeing would pay their workers to roll out and return their tool chests. Since the tool chests took so much space they were always left outside the airplane. Every time you needed a tool it involved another hike outside the airplane to retrieve and return the tool.

Boeing decided that since they were the de facto tool owner anyway it would make more sense to have the specific tool that was needed where it was needed.

5/28/17       #5: handling of tools ...
John Skip Moore Member

I agree with all so fare. These guys have just found a way to keep there shop cost to bare minumin and I just have to take it or leave it.
Shop choices are scarce here in New York
only time I can remember having to buy everything in my 30 years exper. Good thing I have what was needed.
Thanks for the responces

5/30/17       #6: handling of tools ...
chipbored

I buy all the factory based tools, nails guns, sanders, dust extraction and hand tools on the work bench. I have a detailed list of what I expect the guys to own themselves which is generally power tools, a couple of good drills, cordless planer ect ect. Each team member gets a screw box purchased for them in their chosen toolbox system, festool, makita dewalt or a quality generic if they haven't got a tool box system.

The occasional site tools like plunge saws and drop saws I also purchase. We have a tool room with a check in, check out system. If you check it out to "borrow it" because you don't have your own tool. Then it is expected that you return it in good order otherwise it is your responsibility to replace or repair unreasonable damage.

In the past I had a site kit and after I saw it being disrespected one time too many I changed over to this system.

Amazing how people look after their own tools

5/30/17       #7: handling of tools ...
Leo G

You can't legally make employees pay for tools or repairs of tools they've broken of yours.

And no employee should have to buy power tools to work for you.

5/30/17       #8: handling of tools ...
chuck crawford

I furnish basically everything, all the way down to pencils, in the shop as well as the install truck. Even a cabinet full of snacks for break time.

5/30/17       #9: handling of tools ...
John Skip Moore Member

And that folks is the difference between a pro and an owner sucking every penny out of the craftsman that love there jobs

5/30/17       #10: handling of tools ...
cabmaker

John,

You had me until you started accusing business owners of trying to suck every penny from the noble craftsmen.

In our case we furnish the tools because it is simply more efficient to do so. I am quite sure some of our craftspeople would like to have their own tool chest at their bench. I personally think I can better yoke them to the creation of surplus value if I control the means of production.

5/31/17       #11: handling of tools ...
KD

I am retired now but when I was working the company supplied all tools and equipment. This included work clothes, safety shoes, safety glasses, and laundry service.

Also the pay was very good and I have a pension.

5/31/17       #12: handling of tools ...
Larry

We supply everything, right down to the pencils! Each assembly bench has the same setup, mostly on shadow boards so missing tools are easily spotted. Periodically we will get an employee that steals tools, supplies etc. when caught they are no longer employees.

5/31/17       #13: handling of tools ...
cabmaker

Shadow boards are a good idea if only so that where the tools live is standardized. This makes it easy to find but more importantly makes it easier to put away. This way you don't have little puddles of tools that need to either be cleared away or competed with when you need to use a bench.

The layout of our shop does not lend itself to shadow boards as we do all the assembly operations in the center of the shop. I don't want to have any visual barriers that a wall surface would create. As a consequence our benches have color coded drawers. The hand tools that live in them are color coded to the drawer they belong in.

Boeing instituted a shadow board system to make sure that tools don't get left in the fuselage. They figured it would be somewhat unnerving for passengers to hear hammers rattling around in the wings.

6/1/17       #14: handling of tools ...
John Skip Moore Member

That is what I meant by a pro shop versus
the shop I am at .They make me buy the clamps I need, all hand tools , all the nail guns, routers bits and routers. jig saw, drills and screw guns. lamello cutter etc. So that is why I made the statement about taken whatever they can. Meaning only the shop I am at. Not you Cabinet maker .

6/2/17       #15: handling of tools ...
Adam B

John,

There are certainly different opinions on this, and to varying degrees, but if what you are stating is accurate, then IMO that is not right. Your company should be providing all of the necessary tools & equipment to manufacture the product they are selling. We provide everything that is needed to build the items we sell. We also allow oue employees to bring their own drills, hand tools etc if they prefer to use a certain brand. We have the companies tools spray painted with a bright yellow marker to easily identify what belongs to the company.

As long as the majority of employees keeps quiet without approaching management about this, it will remain status quo for you.Maybe you could talk to the shop foreman and other vested employees to get their thoughts on this and if they feel the same way, then approach management to express your concerns.

6/2/17       #16: handling of tools ...
Alan F.

John,
In California, the owner has to pay double the min wage ($10 so $20) to require mechanics to provide tools, we always provide all tools.
A-

6/4/17       #17: handling of tools ...
KaliKid

You work for a huckster.

Solution....find a new job.

Document EVERYTHING before you leave,as there are always repercussions.

6/5/17       #18: handling of tools ...
steelie mark

The shop should have all tools necessary to do their work available to the employee.
Many workers I know-myself included- prefer to use their own hand and layout tools and keep a hand box at their bench, but anything needed should be supplied by the shop- Batt.drill, bits, sanders, sandpaper, routers, bits, chisels, files, rasps, pencils, markers, tape, notepads, and certainly all clamps bigger than 4", jig saws, blades, skillsaws, a good first aid kit- all shop supplied.

6/6/17       #19: handling of tools ...
KaliKid

I'm surprised no one has brought up the liability issue of bringing your own power tools to work.Some companies consider it a fire-able offence .

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)