Coping Small Crown into Larger Crown

A quick description of the field technique for making two different moldings blend at the joint. November 22, 2005

I now have two jobs that require my finished crown to be coped into larger paint grade crown. I have only seen this done once, and regretfully, didn't memorize the process. Is it trial and error or are there any methods to the madness?

Forum Responses
(Cabinetmaking Forum)
From contributor F:
Sounds like you have two differing profiles, so you won't be able to cope in the traditional sense. I think I would cut the smaller molding to the approximate angle and hold it in place to determine where it intersects the larger molding, and then use one of those gadgets with all the sliding wires that copy profiles to transfer the shape of the cut to the small one.

From there, I'm afraid it's the use of a coping saw followed by hand work with files. This all assumes that the small molding dies into the larger one at 90 degrees.

From contributor L:
No, no, no.... (LOL) You take the (small) molding, put in place on the wall at the proper angle, as close to the larger molding as you can, and use a scribe to trace the profile onto the smaller molding, making sure you are square and plumb with your scribe. Then use a coping saw and tune it up with a Dremel or files and stick it in place. The only time this won't work is if the molding is going into a very tight spot and can't be put into place. With this, you can use contributor F's method and then play with the joint until it is satisfactory to your eye.

From contributor O:
I agree with contributor L - use a divider or a compass to scribe and have a rat tail file on hand. This will help tremendously.