Fastening Wainscoting

Pre-assemble the frames, and team up mechanical fasteners with a good adhesive. May 6, 2006

I've been asked to do the trim package in a home office that I'm building cabinets for. I've run plenty of case abd base, but they want a picture frame type wainscot (molding frame) attached directly to the drywall. How do you install the vertical pieces if there is no stud directly behind it?

Forum Responses
(Cabinet and Millwork Installation Forum)
From contributor L:
Regular wood glue and dot the 4 corners with hot melt. Use a board of whatever width it takes to get it off the floor to the proper height, rest the bottom of the pix frame molding on the board and hold it in place until the hot melt cools and go on to the next. Be wary of the bumps in the sheetrock, as this can foil a good clean install.

From contributor K:
Whenever I do this, I pre-assemble the frames. Have to preplan frame sizes anyway. Plus, I find it easier to attach a frame than to try to get four mitres to line up just right - especially when the SR is bellied out here and there. I use wood glue and 2" 18 ga nails, but hot melt sounds like a good idea. If it's paint grade, most painters will caulk around it, too, which will add to the bond significantly.

From contributor C:
Put the frames together first with regular wood glue, run a small bead of Liquid Nails/PL and shoot at an angle, then walk away from it.

From contributor B:
What's the "PL" stand for after Liquid Nails?

From contributor J:
PL is another brand of the same type of adhesive, a higher grade but more money. As above, pre-make your frames, use spacers and glue dem puppies. I think the best bet would be to buy Franklin's HIpurformer hotmelt glue gun kit. Costs about 90 bucks, but it is awesome - well worth it. Never comes loose, after 20 min warm up. It is cordless! Go to Franklin's website - 4 different types of cartridges from 30 sec out to 75 sec set.