I have a cabinet shop in Georgia and we do our own finishing. We have a couple of the Kremlin 20:25 pumps with the mvx guns and are using M.L. Campbell's resistant and Krystal. Unfortunately, I have had trouble spraying both products. If anybody uses the same Kremlin pump (20:25) and mvx gun and sprays M.L. Campbell's resistant and Krystal, and has very good results (slick as silk) consistently, I would really appreciate any help you can give me.
From contributor A:
I demoed the 20:25 and shot Magnamax with great results. I bought the 10:14 and have had equally good results. I was having problems getting as much material out as the 20:25, so I jumped up a tip size. Preheating the material seems to help, too, in cold times. And yes, I shoot Krystal too, and it is a great product.
I had put in the maximum amount of flow enhancer #2 that I could put in (20%). This actually brought my viscosity down to 17 seconds, which was too thin. It should be around 22-24 seconds. I have always been told that orange peel is caused by the finish being too thick or by improper atomization. Phil told me that orange peel can be caused by the finish being too thick or too thin. I also had my fluid pressure set too high and he said that was causing the tiny microbubbles. He said that too much fluid was hitting the product too fast. He told me to set my fluid pressure at about 25-30 (I have a 20 to 1 pump) and my air at about 20 (triggered). He also told me to run the fluid through my heater at about 90-95 degrees. I told him that I was using vinyl sealer under my topcoat and that when I sprayed the finish on, it looked like orange peel instantly. He said that happens sometimes with vinyl sealer. He told me to use Krystal sealer. He also said that I could put between 4 and 8 ounces per gallon of butyl cellusolve into the mix to slow the drying time. I set everything up just like he told me and it is spraying a lot better now. The only problem that I still have is that sometimes I still get some of the microbubbles that won't pop out. I had put 5 percent flow enhancer #2 in the mix but it didn't totally take the bubbles away. I am going to get some of the butyl cellusolve and see if it will keep the coating wet long enough for the bubbles to totally pop out.