Moisture meter for veneer

      Finding a moisture meter that can accurately "read" veneer. June 14, 2000

I'm looking for a moisture meter that can be used to measure the moisture content (MC) in veneer (thicknesses of 1/16 to 1/8 inch).

I had this problem six months ago. I ended up going with a Delmhorst meter with interchangeable probes. It seems to be working quite well. I can correlate between a two-prong surface probe and an eight-pin probe, used through several sheets of veneer, quite closely.

The problem with a pin meter is that the meters from some manufacturers are intended for use when the entire pin is inserted into the wood (1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, etc.), so you need to get a meter made specifically for veneer. They do make them.

For the non-pin meter, the thickness is a variable in what readings you get, as well as the MC of the material under the veneer. Some people test veneer with a lumber meter and test many sheets of veneer (on top of each other so it acts like a thick piece of wood) at once.

But there are veneer meters made -- Moisture Register used to make one I used when in the veneer mill years ago, and I believe that it was an r.f. meter. But I do not know if they are still around.
Gene Wengert, forum moderator

You can use a Wagner pinless type moisture meter but you have to make sure you are measuring a stack of 1 inch or more. Another option is a Mini Ligno, which is a pin type.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Woodworking Miscellaneous: Accessories

  • KnowledgeBase: Wood Engineering: Wood Properties

  • KnowledgeBase: Woodworking Miscellaneous: Woodworking

  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2021 -
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.
    865 Troxel Road
    Lansdale, PA 19446

    Contact Us

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article