Is quarter sawing accomplished by simply sawing the log into four quarters, then sawing into boards? Or am I missing something?
1. First take a board from the center of the log by raising the small end of the log till the pith parallel with the blade. Cut 1/2 the width above and below the pith. Remove board.
2. Next turn the remaining two halves 1/4 turn and split again.
3. Remove all but one quarter from the mill.
4. Lay one flat side of the quarter down on the bed and, rather than sawing from the top of the cant, saw from the bottom of it.
5. Remove the flitch and roll the 1/4 to the other flat and saw another flitch.
6. Saw and roll until finished, then repeat with the other 3/4.