Refillable Glazing Pen?

A discussion of glazing pens, flow pencils, and similar technology for laying down narrow lines of finish formulas. February 21, 2011

Is there such a thing as a refillable glazing pen?

Forum Responses
(Finishing Forum)
From contributor R:
Konig makes refillable markers for dye stain. I guess it would depend on the viscosity of your glaze.

From contributor J:
You can use an empty glue bottle or any other thing like that. I bought the CAT mini gun with the glazing tip. Worth every penny. There is a kit that comes with a small straw like tip. You fill the gun with glaze and pull the trigger and glaze runs out. You don't hook it up to an air line for this. Works very well.

From the original questioner:
I found two types of markers from Touch Up Solutions. One with a ball valve and felt tip, and the other is a felt body with a felt tip.

How small of a bead can you make with the cat gun? I have watched the youtube video on it and am very interested, but for this particular project my customer wants a nice clean line about 1/8 to 3/16 thick.

From contributor J:
1/8 should be no problem. You will have to play with it and figure out what viscosity and what speed to move at, but you can run a really thin line. I don't know if a felt tip would work. I would think glaze is too thick to pass through it.

From contributor R:
How about a Beugler pinstriper tool?

From contributor O:
Paasche makes a product called a flow pencil. It looks like an air brush but uses no air. A plunger on top of the cup pressurizes the glaze so that it flows out of the tip when you pull the trigger. Costs about $64.00.

From the original questioner:
Thanks. I ordered the Paasche flow pencil today. I also ordered the optional pressurized cup in case the glaze is too thick for the small tips. Total cost including shipping was just under $100.