Slippery Plastic for Machinery

Ultra high molecular weight (UHMW) polyethylene can be used to make wood glide smoothly over wear surfaces. July 3, 2008

Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene is advertised as "Slick Strips that reduce friction to the point where almost everything moves like it's mounted on ball bearings! This special UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) adhesive-backed flexible plastic film has a low coefficient of friction and a high abrasion resistance that surpasses even Teflon." It's made to be slippery for jigs, guards, tables, and anything that needs to slide.

I've wondered for a long while if this stuff was any good. I figured it had to be better than a homemade wood guard by itself. If anyone's used it I'd love some feedback.

Forum Responses
(Solid Wood Machining Forum)
From contributor D:
I don't know about the peel and stick stuff, but the solid material is what it is claimed to be. We use it for wear faces on jigs that slide on cast iron. Solid strips about 1" wide x 1/2" are fastened into the aluminum plate/jig base and keep things smooth and level. UHMW is available through McMaster-Carr, I believe.