Sourcing a Flat Belt Flywheel Pulley for a Shaper

Info about shaper pulleys that allow the belt to travel along the pulley cylinder. January 3, 2014

I am looking for a special pulley that is sometimes seen on shaper motors. It is a cylinder made out of aluminum and is maybe eight inches diameter by six inches tall, about the shape of a metal coffee can. It's different than a V-shape pulley in that the belt slips up and down on the cylinder to find proper alignment. Does anyone know what these are called or where to get them?

Forum Responses
(Cabinetmaking Forum)
From contributor W:
If you're looking for a motor pulley for a Delta Light Duty Shaper, Grizzly has one that will work.

From Contributor D:
What you are looking for is called a flywheel/pulley.

From contributor C:
Why do some shapers have this kind of pulley and some just have the regular v-shaped kind?

From Contributor D:
Some shapers the motor moves with the spindle, keeping the belt aligned. On others the motor is stationary so the fly wheel allows for spindle travel.

From Contributor D:
In addition, some shapers have a long pulley on the end of the spindle to allow the belt to travel up and down with the spindle. The pulley may only be 2-3" diameter but 4 or 5" long.