Using Double-Face Tape

      Pros discuss a wealth of applications for specialty double-sided tapes. July 9, 2005

Is anyone using double face tape (3M automotive acrylic or urethane or 3M VHB) for temporary or permanent installations? Since I have started using it, I have kept finding new applications for it, and it saves lots of time. I started by using it to apply drawer faces to drawers with the drawers already installed in the cabinet openings. I would then slide the assembly out and put in a reinforcing screw from the back.

Before then, I was always mounting the faces with the drawers outside the cabinets, and hoping they would align when the drawers were put back in. Now I've started using the tape to put up cabinet crown molding if it has a finish, which would be hard to match putty to for nail holes (like glazed finishes), or cannot be easily screwed from the back side. It seems to hold like a rock whenever you can use it on an adequate surface area for it to get a real bite. The stuff is incredibly tenacious on most surfaces even though it was manufactured for contact with automotive finishes, metals, etc.

Forum Responses
(Cabinetmaking Forum)
From contributor F:
I couldn't live without my two side tape in the shop. My latest discovery involved having to turn a bunch of faux bamboo molding on the lathe. Each bamboo turning yields two pieces of flat backed faux bamboo molding, so instead of the traditional glue and paper joint between the two halves of the turning blanks, I substituted double sided tape and clamped the halves together with a vice and it worked like a charm.

After turning, I used a chisel to start separating the halves and then pulled them apart the rest of the way by hand, and no wood was torn and there was no paper joint and glue to scrape off. Is the VHB really strong enough to hold crown molding to a cabinet for the life span of the work?

From contributor D:
I just received a roll of Fast-Cap Speed Tape to try out, and I was planning on using it in just the way you're describing. Also, I may use it for quick repair work in the field when spraying glue is impractical, like on existing toe-kicks which have delaminated.

From contributor R:
Locally I pay $16 per 3/4" X 11' roll, which is just enough to do one average kitchen. I've always thought this was kind of high, but I guess it is worth the time saved.

From the original questioner:
I remember another great use for the acrylic or urethane versions of this tape. They are usually 45mm or 20mm thick, and come in black, grey, or white. When I make square edge formica tops and I have to attach the splash to the top of the deck (typically 4" high splash), I use the 5/8" or 3/4" wide tape between the edge of the splash and the top of the deck. After just pressing down on the joint in a firm manner, you can turn the assembly upside down to put in screws or staples without clamping the splash to maintain the position. The tape remains to act like a gasket to keep water out.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Adhesives, Gluing and Laminating

  • KnowledgeBase: Adhesives, Gluing and Laminating: Glues and Bonding Agents

  • KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking

  • KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking: Custom Cabinet Construction

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2021 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article