Vocabulary for Frameless Cabinet Parts

      "What do you call that thing?" The terminology used to describe the various structural elements of a frameless cabinet appears to vary widely throughout the industry. June 16, 2014

Can someone tell me the name of the part that goes between drawers boxes on European cabinets? Some say rail, divider, stinger and stretcher. All of the cabinet books that I have referred to call it a rail. AWI calls it a stretcher.

Forum Responses
(Cabinetmaking Forum)
From Contributor W

I look at a rail as a horizontal on a face frame or a door, and a stretcher as a horizontal) not a floor, deck, bottom or top) on a cabinet case. You can have drawer and top stretchers, not to be confused with nailers which basically do the same, yet are used for installation as well as structure. A stretcher may require edgebanding where a nailer may not.

From contributor C:
Call it a “drawer stretcher”. The best way I can describe it is it stretches across the cabinet, related to a drawer therefore a "drawer stretcher."

From contributor D:
Stretcher could apply to any partial depth/height construction element. Nailer is more descriptive for stretchers at the back of the box. Rail best describes a visual element between drawers (railed inset).

Click here for higher quality, full size image

From Contributor U

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Forum Posts Categories

Stretcher and nailer are descriptive words, where stile and rail are not and tend to confuse me. When I think stile and rail I think face frame and five piece door construction.

From contributor D:
Frameless stile and rail?

Click here for higher quality, full size image

From Contributor U

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Forum Posts Categories

The closet industry is so much simpler. We just call them fixed shelves, adjustable shelves, and partitions or verticals.

From contributor B:
I have also heard them referred to as drawer blades.

From Contributor G

Click to View Member Profile Member Photo Member Contact Info Forum Posts Shop Gallery Project Gallery Categories

A case could be made for divider as well but that is a description of what it does. I personally like stretcher.

From contributor M:
In Häfele's mid 1980's publication "System Varianta 32" they were called "cross-members". The Grass publication, "Kiss II" called them "spreaders" while in Blum's "Pearls" they are called "cross-rails". Many shops I've visited in the US call them splitters. In the end I say take your pick, but once you choose a name stick with it or you'll confuse your designers and customers.

Click here for higher quality, full size image

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking

  • KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking: General

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2020 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article