Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Post a Response
The staff at WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at any WOODWEB Forum. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.
Your Name:
Your Website:
Email Address:
Subject: Re: Keeping a clean shop

(read message guidelines).
Note: Do not use the below fields to advertise your business - only for links related to the discussion.
Thread Related Link URL:
Thread Related Link Title:
  To "point" to an image (picture) from another website, provide the URL (Web Address) of the file ( include ONE reference to http:// )
Thread Related Image URL:

Date of your Birth:

Upload a Thread Related File:
File Types: Image (gif-jpg-png-bmp), PDF, Sketchup, Video (mov avi wmv mpeg mpg mp4 ogg). (Image Upload Tips)

I have read the Site User Agreement and agree with the Terms

<= Check to receive e-mail notification of responses

Message Thread:

Keeping a clean shop

10/7/14       
Mgs

My shop is a wreck. I've never been able to keep it clean. It's also where I often meet with customers, though they are never turned off by it, I always apologize for the mess and they reply, "my goodness no, it simply looks like someone works here". Even so, it's embarrassing, probably dangerous, and unproductive(in no particular order). I'd like wisdom, advice, or a written kick in the butt on keeping it up. Thanks

10/7/14       #2: Keeping a clean shop ...
Charles

Step one is to have a assigned place for everything. After decades of seeing brooms and shovels all over the shop, sometimes 4 in one area and none in another, we put hangers around the building and presto, people now know where they go.

That's the kind of thing you need to do.

10/7/14       #3: Keeping a clean shop ...
David R Sochar Member

First - make a place for everything and put it all in its proper place. Everything. I'll repeat - everything. Planes, table saws, jigs, patterns, power tools, everything. Make specialized racks, sleeves, shelves, whatever. If you can't make a place for it, then you must toss it out. Do not violate this rule.

2. Do not let jigs, clamps, lumber, etc pile up in a corner or lean against the wall. Put them back in their place properly. This is called discipline. Do not violate this rule.

3.Do not let things gather so that you have to move one thing in order to get to another. If shelves are overflowing, build more shelves, and put the things you need in easy reach and the odd or rare things up high or very low. Keep the most used power tools plugged in and handy. Make easy hooks to loop cords over, or drop them from above. Do not ever search for a cord to plug in.

4. Daily - or several times a day - stop and put things back where they belong. Do not allow any horizontal surface to become a storage spot except temporarily.

5. You already sound motivated, but you must remain motivated. All this is no good unless you do it - You have to be the one.

I have likened the inside of my shop to a model - an extension - of my brain. If it is cluttered and disorganized, so is my thinking and my behavior in the shop. If it is clean, neat, organized and predictable, then so is my behavior and my work. It makes a huge difference.

View higher quality, full size image (2592 X 1944)

View higher quality, full size image (2592 X 1944)

10/7/14       #4: Keeping a clean shop ...
JR Rutter Member

I will second David's advice and add some specifics on how we stay clean and organized. We are almost exclusively dealing with hardwoods.

Scrap: Don't let it pile up. It costs money in lost efficiency. Outsourcing scrap disposal is what has made it sustainable for me.

Years ago, I ran a craigslist ad for hardwood kindling scraps and found a guy who has been taking away offcuts since 2004 or so. He now supplies me with sturdy bags, like the woven 50# seed bags, and comes once a week to haul off 6-8 bags or whatever we have sitting around.

For or rip saw, I made a tall trough cart to keep them from spilling out into an aisle. I bought a strapping cart and when the trough is full, we dump it onto the forklift, snug the bundle up with ratchet clamps, and band it 5-6 times. We leave them in a designated spot outside and they either disappear or I have several people who are on a call list to come pick it up.

For rips that are narrower than our standard S4S blanks, we bundle them neatly, take pics, and run a craigslist ad every few months. They go for cash within hours.

Stuff does tend to pile up even with the above, so we end up doing a dump run once a year or so and everyone pitches in to deep clean and sort/red tag the junk.

10/7/14       #5: Keeping a clean shop ...
mark

Yeah, man, David's a stacker: 's got everything in piles, and lots of room. In practice, those are probably work-flow stations. For me: not so much. As a one manner, that looks like work deferred. My mode is to never put off for later what I can do now. It gets me by. A job starts with setting it up, and ends with putting it away. Employees can learn this also.

10/8/14       #6: Keeping a clean shop ...
Adam

David,

Nice shop. What is that large curved thing in the first pic?. It looks like the back of stairs, but I can't get my head around the geometry.

10/8/14       #7: Keeping a clean shop ...
james mcgrew Member

Being a Navy Vet the Deck is always Broom Clean, it extended to have we leave a jobsite every time. Part of the routine and expectation.

I visited a shop in Elgin SC some years ago and saw chips piled up, around an in Equipment some 24" + deep. After it burned down I made dang sure that cause would be eliminated.

Brooms Pans and a Leaf blower !!!

10/8/14       #8: Keeping a clean shop ...
David R Sochar Member

In the interest of full disclosure, the shop photos posted above are of my last 'big' shop. The one I gave up when the economy tanked. It was 8k s/f, a bit more than we needed, but we were easily growing into it when the world changed and our market disappeared overnight.

The curved thing is a curved stair, about a quarter turn as I recall - on its back, with the underside showing - the easiest way to store such a beast. We built two for a job and the first one had to sit (we had the space) while the second one went up.

The shop photos don't do a good job of illustrating my manifesto - especially the rippings on the floor. We had just moved in and temporarily lost discipline in our lust for all that space. Space is the easiest thing to violate in a woodshop. We had a forklift here, so it was easy to stage lumber on the floor and move stacks of doors from carts to the floor. I had about 12 heavy tubular steel carts that could each hold about 3,000 lbs, and these made everything portable and easily moved from machine to bench to wherever.

We later built a trough cart for the rippings so we never had to touch them, and eventually had everything in its place, though it did take daily policing for a while.

Currently, I have a 2 man shop in 1,000 s/f, with a loft. Quite a change from the big shop, but believe me, everything has a place and is in it, or it is obvious. Sort of like living in a VW camper - everything is fine as long as you put things back. If not, it only takes about 5 minutes to get it all back.

I am now thinking about the vacuum bag and platen on a pulley system to store up against the ceiling when not in use. Sort of like the Dr Frankenstein's lift thru the roof, without all the electricity crackling.

10/8/14       #9: Keeping a clean shop ...
Mgs

Ive read and heard old milwork shops would make and keep extra things like sash parts, but it just ends up taking up valuable space. Do you find this practice worthwhile?

10/8/14       #10: Keeping a clean shop ...
JR Rutter Member

Unless it is a standard part of a product line that is made regularly, no. My employees are always wanting to squirrel away some extra material for the next job, but over time the material inevitably degrades - First of all, there is usually a reason why it is left over. Even if it is prime material (read worth something), it gets bumped and dented, it changes moisture content, it gets darker or lighter due to oxidation, and you can't reliably edge glue it without doing a fresh edge. Even if an appropriate job comes up while it is still useable, it often gets overlooked because it is hidden away and more scraps get added to it.

Our scrap bags hang next to every saw. At the end of a job it is satisfying to cut up the junk that got picked over and let someone burn it. Since the material is part of the job cost, it pays to only run what is needed. This is an ever-changing target depending on the meaterial quality, but worth pursuing.

10/8/14       #11: Keeping a clean shop ...
Adam

Everyone makes mistakes and the parts always get placed somewhere for future use on the next job. They sit there for years each time you see them it reminds you of some screw up. Mentally the best move I made was to gain closure by cutting that mistake up and burning it in our woodstove.

10/8/14       #12: Keeping a clean shop ...
Charles Wright  Member

Forgot to mention: We bought a waste grinder. We can take a yard of board drop offs and grind them into a 10 gallon can of chips. Big help. And no more overloaded dumpster.

10/9/14       #13: Keeping a clean shop ...
Joe Doherty

During the LIGNA show in Germany in 2012 while touring window and door shops with Greg Godbout from Rangate a fellow that runs a woodworking school showed us Blickpunkt Werkstatt Tischler Schreiner. It contains many ideas for organizing a workshop on the industrial/production level. There are lots of pictures so reading German is not required.

I did a google search and found a link to the book. It was around $100 with shipping but well worth it.

View higher quality, full size image (1686 X 2395)

Blickpunkt Werkstatt

10/10/14       #14: Keeping a clean shop ...
ranliker

In the Bible, Book of Proverbs is the following proverb: Where no oxen are, the crib is clean: but much increase is by the strength of the ox. Temperance is a good thing. Too much into cleaning and little gets done. No cleaning and little gets done.

10/10/14       #15: Keeping a clean shop ...
Noah

We have a sign in The Ark Factory that reads: "Keep All Thy Oxen out of the Shop for Sake of a Clean Floor" This is good advise.

10/10/14       #16: Keeping a clean shop ...
Mgs

30 I went by the field of the sluggard,

And by the vineyard of the man devoid of understanding;
31 And there it was, all overgrown with thorns;

Its surface was covered with nettles;

Its stone wall was broken down.
32 When I saw it, I considered it well;

I looked on it and received instruction:
33 A little sleep, a little slumber,

A little folding of the hands to rest;
34 So shall your poverty come like a prowler,

And your need like an armed man.

10/11/14       #17: Keeping a clean shop ...
Jim Randolph Member

Some pointers from my friend Steven Johnson on the Oriental concept of "5S." http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodnews/2010march/5s.html

He also has a video on 5S on youtube, but I can't quickly find it.

Article

10/12/14       #18: Keeping a clean shop ...
Derrek Holland

Set expectations with your people of what you want.
With scrap items put a value on the space it takes up, it changes the way you look at storing things you might use.
Set aside a time each week that you do major clean up and improvement in your shop.
in the book 2 Second Lean they show the salt and pepper shakers have a labeled place on the table. Try it it works

10/13/14       #19: Keeping a clean shop ...
Glenn Pope

We have a guy who comes in Monday and Thursday nights and cleans the shop, which is about 3000 sq. ft. When he is done, the place is spotless. It helps a lot.

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)