Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Rules of Thumb for Max Exterior Door Veneer Thickness?

5/26/15       
Casey Member

I am working on the design for a rather unique and difficult entry door and was hoping for some advice....

The client has seen some of my work with maple and has decided he wants the door to be made out of big leaf maple burl, no matter what. To add to the fun, it will be a full or 3/4 lite door, without a latch rail. And last but certainly not least, the live edge of the burl will remain visible and form the inside border around the glass panel. Imagine all the rails and stiles being flat on their outside edges, and having the live edge, random, spiky burl-ness on the insides....

My plan for now is to essentially build the core of the door out of fir at 1 1/2" thick, full M&T construction, and skin it on either side with bookmatched slabs of the burl, each 3/8" thick.

On the exterior face I plan to leave the burl completely intact, while on the inside I will rip it so there is a seam down the middle and the inside live edge portion can be pinned down as a glass stop, and removed if necessary to replace the glass. (An alternative option I'm considering is to use laminated glass, that is basically permanently sandwiched in between the skins and is not removable to keep the burl intact on the inside. (This is far from the best choice, but it is desirable because if there is no seal to fail as in an IGU, and there is a low chance of breakage, then it simplifies the process a fair bit). To fill the space between the burl and the glass I will rout matching wood to match the live edge profile.

I want the burl veneer or skin to be as thick as I've suggested (3/8") both for its own stability, and for the effect it will give against the glass....the reveal will be over 1/2" depending on the thickness and placement of glass, and if it were very thin It wouldn't look nearly as attractive.

I intend to laminate these together with West System epoxy.

My main concerns are of course the stability of the door, and I'm wondering if the thickness of the maple would present a problem. Big leaf maple is not renowned for its stability, and one side will see the weather. Will 1 1/2" of good vg fir as a core be enough to resist warping with 3/8" of maple on both sides? Should I go with a thinner veneer? Anything else I'm missing here?

Thanks

5/27/15       #2: Rules of Thumb for Max Exterior Doo ...
Larry

This has been covered before and commented on by the Wood Doctor. 3/8" isn't veneer and won't work like it. Check the archives.

5/27/15       #3: Rules of Thumb for Max Exterior Doo ...
Casey Member

Thanks Larry, I've searched the archives quite a bit before posting, as you surely know there is a lot of information out there, and it is difficult to find if you don't have the proper search terms....would you mind directing me towards the posts where Dr. Wengert chimed in? I've done various searches, for "skins" and "veneers", what would is the proper term to call a solid wood slab or board that is thicker than veneer and laminated to a solid core?

I know the design of this project goes against standard practices, but am trying to learn what the guidelines are, if any for this sort of thing.

I am a professional woodworker, but I do not specialize in making doors, so there is a lot to be learned on my end.

5/27/15       #4: Rules of Thumb for Max Exterior Doo ...
rich c.

Isn't there going to be a water trap between the natural burl edge and the glass on the outside? No lock rail? Just a frame around the outside makes me even more nervous. Also I think all those butt joints on the thick veneer are all going to open during the first year. I just don't see this as a great design. Beautiful yes, practical and long living, don't think so.

5/28/15       #5: Rules of Thumb for Max Exterior Doo ...
David R Sochar Member

As I understand it, the 3/8" faces are going onto long grain Fir cores, with (assumption) the grain of the face generally running the same direction as the cores, so this should (emphasis) act more like face laminations, and not cross grain or cross banded veneering. This is burl, so movement may not be as predictable, but I don't see a problem.

The wood to glass meeting should have a good quality sealant between the two on at least the exterior side, and would be good on the interior side also. I would minimize the 3/8" lapping onto the glass to 1" since it may want to curl one way or the other.

Make perfect mortise and tenon joints that are square and true, so the door dry fits absolutely co-planar. Start flat, stay flat.

I would mention that the customer's preferences have overidden your ability to warrant this product.

5/29/15       #6: Rules of Thumb for Max Exterior Doo ...
Casey Member

@Rich, i plan to bevel the live edge so it sheds the water away from the glass, and yes its a full light door, so no lock rail is possible. Full light doors are pretty common, and the goal here is to build the core in such a way that it is completely stable and strong, and the "veneer" on top is purely cosmetic, but will not cause the core to deform at all...

-David, you are correct, the grain of the VG fir core rails and stiles would have the obvious orientation, and the laminated burl slabs would also have the same direction....My hope is that the butt joints of the laminated burl pieces do not gap, but i realize it is a possibility with the different woods....

5/29/15       #7: Rules of Thumb for Max Exterior Doo ...
Kevin Jenness

Casey,

In general I agree with David's points (especially the warranty). In theory thick veneer aligned with and glued over a solid wood core should not generate a conflict aside from differing rates of movement between the two species. Burl complicates things as it's hard to establish grain direction in burls. There may be a potential for twisting in the composite with MC changes. I would expect some checking problems and gaps at butt joints, and I doubt that maple burl will hold up well to any real weather exposure. The thicker the core and thinner the veneer the better. Stave core or three board lamination would be worth considering over solid core. Be sure to have your customer accept responsibility for the implications of his chosen material.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)