Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Reverse Table Saw

7/20/17       
Gary

I currently have a left and a right tilting tilting table saw but might have to lose one of them. Am I crazy to assume that I could swap legs on my 3 phase saw so it runs in reverse, mount the blade backwards, and do my opposite cut with material entering from back of table saw ? Say for cutting sill horns ? Mr Sochar ?

7/20/17       #2: Reverse Table Saw ...
Bruce H

If you reverse the blade direction the nut holding the blade on the spindle would be subject to loosening. not the best safety idea.

7/20/17       #3: Reverse Table Saw ...
RichardP

I would expect the blade/arbor nut to loosen
quickly and cause serious problems. The switch to turn off would then be on the wrong side for you to safely get to it when the stuff hits the fan!
Rich

7/20/17       #4: Reverse Table Saw ...
Leo G

The spring washer will help hold it. Find another arbor nut and double nut it.

7/21/17       #5: Reverse Table Saw ...
Adam

Keep in mind that we run shapers in the wrong direction all the time. The nut and washer keep it on.

I would guess that all of us have over tightened a table saw blade to the point where you are thinking you might bend the blade or break a tooth trying to get the nut off. Two nuts would lock it in place.

I would be most concerned about the switch as Richard mentioned.

Which saw are you going to keep? I definitely prefer left tilting.

7/21/17       #6: Reverse Table Saw ...
gsxon

Its not just the bolt retaining the blade but also the fixings for the pulleys that are handed for rotation, it might work in the short term but the risks of something catastrophic happening are pretty high, in the situation that something does go seriously wrong an insurance claim against your business will negate the need for a saw in the future.

7/21/17       #7: Reverse Table Saw ...
David R Sochar Member

It might be easier to ask - How do other shops cut sill horns? You should get good answers and avoid going into experimental ground with what could be a problematic trajectory.

We cut sill horns, left and right, flat and canted, with a 14" band saw. A good blade on a tuned saw will give excellent cuts. We also have good outboard supports for the other end, or people work pretty good for this. In fact, we will often cut the sills to length at the same time, same saw. We draw the cuts on the face at one end, and bottom at the other end, making adjustments for the cant or bevel, and get it all done by turning on the saw once. If we have several, we will tilt the table left or right. Often, it is just eyeballed for tight on the upper face.

Aluminum sills are done with a jig saw, no tricks there.

I am all for finding new ways and experimenting, but I try to keep it reasonable.

7/21/17       #8: Reverse Table Saw ...
Adam

The horns on a sill is a poor reason to use two saws. Its not like its saving you any time. If anything you are moving parts around to two different saws, when you can simply move the fence one saw.

Many people like David use the bandsaw for sills. The surface quality of the cut doesn't really matter because its all buried. As long as its accurate, its all good.

The #1 thing I like to have left & right saws are for cutting the angles on crown. We do it on the molder now so its a nonissue for us.

7/23/17       #9: Reverse Table Saw ...
Wood dust

Adam

I'm drifting from the original question but I have to ask , how do you do your crown angles on a moulder? Do you have any pictures of your setup ? I have a scm compact nt moulder , I had knives cut ( left and right ) to try and do this and couldn't get the out feed fence to work properly . It was going under the bevel.

Thank you

7/23/17       #10: Reverse Table Saw ...
Steve Member

Sorry Adam, faulty example. The difference between the shaper and the saw is that the shaper has a keyed flat washer under the nut that prevents the torque & friction of the spinning cutter from spinning the nut loose.

On the table the nut and washer spin counter to direction against the blade to stay tight.

7/24/17       #11: Reverse Table Saw ...
Steelie Mark

Not a good idea
Step away for some reason, go into the next day, just forget about it for a minute-hey,we all do-, maybe someone else tries to use the saw and doesn't know it's spinning backwards..... all these things plus things getting loose because you're applying force with the thread all add up to not a good idea for a table saw IMHO.

7/24/17       #12: Reverse Table Saw ...
Steve Member

More than just your modest humble opinion Steelie - you are dead on right on all points as not previously mentioned.

7/24/17       #13: Reverse Table Saw ...
Adam

I can't remember anyone in 15 years on WW asking the reverse TS question, so either its not smart or not necessary.

I remember seeing a pic of someone with opposing left/right Unisaws sharing one long Beismeyer fence/table.

7/27/17       #14: Reverse Table Saw ...
TonyF

Gary:

I have done this one time, when an architect wanted the maple risers of a staircase to miter into the exposed open maple stringer. Of course the saw in the shop tilted the opposite direction of what I needed.

What I did was to get another table saw arbor nut and use it as a jam nut on the arbor. Reverse the blade, and the two legs of the 3 phase power, and be mindful of what you are doing and put it all back after you are done. Put an enormous sign on the saw should you need to leave it before the operation is complete.

I believe that on almost all cabinet saws (Powermatic 66, Delta Unisaw, etc.) the pulleys are keyed and held with a set screw, so there are no rotational issues with respect to a component unthreading itself because of reverse rotation. You may want to be sure of that before proceeding.

I would think for most uses, if you have a Biesemier fence or Unifence, the rails allow for limited use of the saw on the left side of the blade, such that you could cut complementary/supplementary angles with the opposite tilt.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
TonyF

7/27/17       #15: Reverse Table Saw ...
David R Sochar Member

My last, and most abusive, boss demanded that I reverse the feed of our 5 head Weinig one day. He had some odd idea that the flow would work so much better if it ran the other way. He wanted a stick to go in the gang rip, then directly into the molder, no lag time, then to the clean up saws and tally table, and on into the racks.

If you have ever watched a molded or more than 10 minutes, you can see how this idea of continuous feed would slow the process, not speed it up. Reason aside, he pushed on.

Now, for 5 years, he had been making big bucks with that machine - as he told me, a clean nickel a foot, every foot, every day (over $500,000 for the math deficient). And now he decides that feeding it backwards "won't be hard", and that I should do it. I went away, determined to come back with at least 25 sound reasons as to why this is not a good idea. Forget the rant about stupid hillbillies..... This was a man that was one of those gawd-awful "self made millionaires" that learned how to profit from intimidation. So no one ever told him no. That, and he was stumbling drunk by 10AM every day.

Of course, my favorite thing to do was say "NO", but then just as quickly, I'd say I will come up with a solution. I was burned out before the molder reversal, so it pretty much took me over the edge. The next meeting, he mentioned the idea, and I laughed out loud and told him I had no idea he was serious, that only a really ignorant fool would ever try such a thing. I walked out the door a few days later, never to return.

He did get my assistant to try to do it, and then he lost interest, moving on to harass some other sorry individual with some crazy project.

7/27/17       #16: Reverse Table Saw ...
TonyF

David Sochar:

Was the molder reversal about "climb cutting" in an effort to try to get a "cleaner cut", or was it more of a time/motion "solution" to try to eliminate wasted steps with each stick of molding?

I would think molding of any size (large crown) would just get spit out back at you.

TonyF

7/28/17       #17: Reverse Table Saw ...
David R Sochar Member

Nothing to do with climb cut. He was unable to understand anything beyond the basics. I do recall hearing about some nasty happenings when they did try a few things. Just like the tablesaw that the OP discusses, it is just not the way things should be done.

We were very successful with moldings - learned to make a great product, and rode the wave of change as Poplar took over from Western Pine in the early '80's.

8/15/17       #18: Reverse Table Saw ...
Gary

Thank you everyone for your collective wisdom. For the record it is a direct drive saw so no pulleys to consider. I have always especially appreciated Mr. Sochar's viewpoint and experience with sash and door. His suggestion for doing the cuts on the Bandsaw will be on the top of my list to try. I have a habit of thinking of Bandsaws as rough cutting ( vs. finish cutting ) machines and I need to appreciate their finer aspects in spite of my laziness in tuning them up to their true potential.

8/15/17       #19: Reverse Table Saw ...
Bruce H

If you want to learn how to set up your band saw so it will cut, watch this video. There is a wealth of information in it.

Band Saw Clinic with Alex Snodgrass

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Doucet Machinery
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!