Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Correct type of glue for table top

3/28/19       
Troy Beverly

I am working on a project and purchased 2 bookmatched live edge slabs and am ready to glue the 2 halves togetherThis is for interior space. I typically use Titebond 1 for all my glue joints but was wondering if in this case I should use Titebond 3 or West System for better overall strength if the large slab halves have movement in the future. Any thoughts?

3/28/19       #2: Correct type of glue for table top ...
Gary

I would use Titebond 3 to give yourself more assembly time compared to Titebond 1. I mostly use Titebond 2 Extend for the same reason

3/29/19       #3: Correct type of glue for table top ...
Tom Gardiner

Titebond I. You have had success with it. Typically joint failure shows the wood fails more than the glue so you won't have a stronger joint. Dominoes or dowels will help with accurate assembly and long term joint strength.
I would only choose epoxy if I wasn't sure I would be able to apply enough clamping force to ensure a tight glue line necessary for PVA. This might be the case if you don't want to damage live edges with clamps.

3/29/19       #4: Correct type of glue for table top ...
MarkB Member

I agree with TB1 or Original. We run Original or Super by default. TB3 is about the worst glue we've used especially with regards to creep and joint movement. If your concerned with joint movement I would definitely go the domino or dowels route as Tom suggested. We use them a lot just to simplify the glue up. No fussing or worrying about alignment or shifting in the clamps.

3/29/19       #5: Correct type of glue for table top ...
D Brown

It may depend on the species of wood .
There is not just 1 answer.

3/29/19       #6: Correct type of glue for table top ...
Leo G Member

If you have a proper joint with TB I then the glue will be stronger than the wood itself. TB I is the hardest most rigid of the TB line of PVA glues.

I use TB II almost exclusively because of most of the advantages, longer open time, very water resistant and strong. The down side is it has a small amount of creep.

I haven't heard many good things compared to bad things about TB III and I've never used it.

3/31/19       #7: Correct type of glue for table top ...
BH Davis  Member

D. Brown is correct in commenting that the wood species has a lot to do with glue choice. Assuming that this is a non-problematic species such as pine, maple, oak, cherry, walnut etc. then go with Regular Titebond (red cap......generically referred to as TB1). It cures to a harder, stronger than the wood itself glue line.

TB2 would be my second choice only because the the potential creep. I've always use regular Titebond and TB2 as my regular adhesives until I get into more specialized situations. For these times I keep West System, Franklin urathane glue and Weldbond around.

There are way to many complaints about the long term performance of TB3. I don't even keep it on the shelf.

BH Davis

3/31/19       #8: Correct type of glue for table top ...
Adam

Your intitial question may have merit. The choices you offer are not really different. Titebond 1 & are rock hard, zero movement adhesives. Titebond 2 then 3 are softer when dry. Flexible is not a correct description. They do not allow any movement. Those two glues are known to slighted expand out of the joint indefinitely.

If you are designing for movement you need something elastomeric. Basically adhesive caulk or silicone. Not the look you want.

Your glue lines will not fail with the usual suspects. You may get checking in the field with large slabs. Not much you can do about it.

4/1/19       #9: Correct type of glue for table top ...
MarkB Member

I can honestly say that with production type work (read work that is glue line ripped in production, clamped, and then finish surfaced as a glued up blank) TB3 will absolutely yeild and allow movement, TB2 less so, and we have not dealt with it at all with Originial or Super. The caveat to that is of course one many not see any issue with TB3 in situations with precisely chosen and prepared stock but we no longer use TB3 for anything. If we need moisture/water resistance its urethane or epoxy.

4/2/19       #10: Correct type of glue for table top ...
Adam

Marks,

Define movement.

4/2/19       #11: Correct type of glue for table top ...
David R Sochar Member

I should be the last person to say it, but don't overthink this. TBI would be the first choice.
KISS, as I am constantly reminding myself.

4/2/19       #12: Correct type of glue for table top ...
Larry

TB1 is excellent, no issues with creep or sanding gumming. With proper organization very few glue ups should take more time than TB1 allows.
Recently did a bunch of glue-ups with resorcinol. Results were excellent if you don't mind the dark glue line but what a PIA to use.
I didn't know how water resistant melamine glue was so we decided to do some tests. I know that when I've gotten it on my clothes it doesn't wash out, so thought it might be very water resistant. We tested Franklin's version. Glued maple, clamped, dried 2 days, into a 5 gallon bucket of room temp water. By the next morning it had failed! OTOH when a sample was cooked in a toaster oven, protected from direct radiation, it remained solid. I was surprised by both (totally unscientific) tests.

4/4/19       #13: Correct type of glue for table top ...
MarkB Member

Adam,
I define movement as any movement whether its is the glue line itself or movement of pieces in the glue up adjacent to each other that are detectable visually, or by feel (usually by being able to catch your fingernails when dragging them across the joint. All of which we have experienced repeatedly with TB "ultimate".

I agree with David and the other responses that as it pertains to the OP the K.I.S.S. rule is perfect. There is no real issue with open time and if movement of some thick live-edge slabs (even in long grain) is a concern a few dowels/dominos will be fine.

There is a great thread in the archives here where one poster tested several glues in a maple lamination where the glue line is under constant stress in shear. TB 3 showed movement. Not of the glue expanding slightly indefinitely, but the laminations moving in relation to each other under the stress of springback. This shows clearly that as you state the glues are "softer" or more plastic than one would like in certain applications.

I have no idea, and cant imagine, the glue line will move indefinitely as it would eventually fail. But none the less, I have seen and felt movement between adjacent boards with TB3 that we have never experienced with Original, super, or 1.

Precisely selected, high quality, straight grained, precisely prepared material would likely never be an issue other than for the slightly expanding indefinitely over time part. The movement issue of any kind is the only reason its not in the shop any longer.

4/4/19       #14: Correct type of glue for table top ...
Adam

MarkB,

I guess I'm not making myself clear. I have been one of the original nonbelievers in TB3. I voiced my negative opinion in discussions with David many years before he disavowed it his personal experience. I haven't used Titebond 2 since our 2nd bottle months after it came to market in the 1990's. Simply because of the creeping visible glue line issue. The water resistant nature is not good enough when you've got epoxy sitting on the shelf.

Our shop has always been a TB1 & epoxy shop. I always try new adhesives and have never found any with merits except for poly(Gorilla type) for adhering dissimilar materials( rocks & wood).

As it pertains to this thread. The amount of movement in TB3 compared to TB1 is negligible. It will only cause a minor cosmetic difference of a visible raised glue line. It will have zero benefit in regards to movement as the original poster asked.

Apparently to gain waterproofing with pva glues they become increasingly soft. The mechanical properties do not improve.

TB1, epoxy, and a high quality polyurethane adhesive caulk like Sikaflex or 3m 5200) have gotten us thru 30 years of work with almost zero failures.

Troy, I would use TB1 or epoxy(open time) for your slab. Good luck

4/10/19       #15: Correct type of glue for table top ...
doug mclaren  Member

i fabricate a lot of 2 1/2 thick mahogany tops and exclusively i use dap/weldwood plastic resin.
dependable, no creep, plenty of time , and easy cleanup.
i disagree about creep with TB products.
i have a top made of cumaru assembled with strips of 2 inch width i keep for amusement just to see how much it moves weekly. granted a difficult wood

View higher quality, full size image (3264 X 2448)

4/20/19       #16: Correct type of glue for table top ...
Adam

Doug,

Define movement

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)