Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Shop Lighting

12/3/20       
Pete

Im thinking about increasing the lighting in my shop. Currently have 8foot T8 bulbs at 3600K. 11 foot ceilings. I have two side by side double hung windows on one wall that aid in the lighting. Every winter I cover the windows with foam board and eliminate the outside light, then consider adding more fixtures. I do a large amount of antique restoration plus custom furniture so color rendition is important. Ive been getting by with what I have but really would like it brighter. So should I go 4 foot florescent at 5000k. LED? Any info is appreciated.

12/4/20       #2: Shop Lighting ...
BH Davis  Member

LED no question. Your power company may have an energy saving rebate program. You should see at least a 20% savings on electric costs over florescent.....and there is no mercury in the tubes.

I know someone who just upgraded their building to LED and I was surprised how bright the space was with surprisingly few 2' square fixtures.

I'm not sure about the color light issue so can't help there.

BH Davis

12/4/20       #3: Shop Lighting ...
Rocket

I just replaced old metal halide high bay lights with 4000k led and the overall clarity in the shop is definitely better, not to mention how nice it is to not hear the buzzing from the ballast all day. I opted for 4000k instead of the 5700k because I didn't want the lighting to feel too cool and sterile. The led's are uncomfortably bright to look at directly as my model lights aren't diffused, however my ceiling height is almost 17' so it's not really an issue.

12/4/20       #4: Shop Lighting ...
Matt Krig

LED's are a game changer. We immediately upgraded our sanding process, based upon improved lighting. Basically, we reduced swirls and over-sanding to near nothing, so consider that if you're hesitating to take the leap. Better lighting means better work and faster.
As mentioned, find out what the rebates look like before you do anything. Timing is key, as some are structured like a grant and the money runs out each year, then re-start.
Also, visit some spaces that have them installed, there are differences such as the cave effect created by light focused strongly downward.
We went with Vision engineering and were happy with all aspects. It's been a couple of years and we've not had any issues.

https://www.visionengineering.com/vhb3

12/4/20       #5: Shop Lighting ...
Leo G Member

LEDs generally have a crappy CRI. Usually sitting around 80-85. It's OK but there is generally a blue cast in most LEDs.

The fluorescents I have have a CRI of 93+ so color rendition is pretty close to sunlight (CRI 100)

Just something to think about if you are particular about color.

Moving from HID to LED isn't as cost efficient as you think. A Metal Halide lamp puts out 30,000 lumens, a Sodium vapor puts out 50,000 lumens. They both have horrible color rendition but they have good light output per watt. You'll be told the whiteness of the light will make up for the loss of lumens, sorry - I disagree.

When I swapped out from Sodium Vapor I had to almost double my wattage usage with myT5 HO54s. But it's so much better.

Moving from fluorescent to LED is more equal except for the availability of higher CRI lighting. It exists but is much more expensive. The LED prices will keep coming down and you can get deals from your power company if you add enough.

12/5/20       #6: Shop Lighting ...
Pete

The CRI on the t8 fluorescents I have are 90, the 4 foot LED are rated at 82. I havent had time to search the web more for other options on bulbs. Im going to guess that an older T8 fluorescent may loose that 90 rating over time, or not emit 90? I do need to replace a few of the bulbs I have up as I can see a difference in some of them.

Thanks to all for your response. Appreciate it.

12/6/20       #7: Shop Lighting ...
bob

either led or florescent - but daylight bulbs
you might try hanging fixture lower on walls adjacent to work tables/saws

12/7/20       #8: Shop Lighting ...
Bill

We re-lit the shop in 2016. LED where not widely available, at least not cost effective ones. Our shop is larger so the cost was a concern. The thing we did do that had great value was work with the light manufacturer. We used 6 bulb high bays.

We got a meter from our electrician to measure lumens. We went around the shop to find the area that we liked the brightness of and measured the lumens.

We provided the lighting manufacturer a drawing on the building, told them the ceiling height and the desired lumens. They returned to us a drawing with light placement. We followed the drawing and got nice even light throughout the building at the brightness we wanted.

In a few areas we added task lights, very few.

My point is that there are resources out there to help you. You can also go to an electrical supply house. They stock, the most popular LED light. Talk to them, ask them what is the best. Talk to them about color.

Good luck!

12/10/20       #9: Shop Lighting ...
Pete

Leo- I found LED bulbs, 4 footers at 92.2 CRI in either 4 or 5000 K. at 15watt. Ordered them and the fixtures this AM so we will see how they work out. THe bulbs are not cheap(16.95 per bulb) but Im only adding a few to increase the light in some areas so its not killing me that much.

12/10/20       #10: Shop Lighting ...
DOUGLAS P CONTI

go shop around and you can find led lights for cheap. switching them out is the best thing you could do. Did mine 3 years ago and have not had a problem since. 8 ft leds on a 16 ft ceiling

12/11/20       #11: Shop Lighting ...
Pete

I agree, you can find cheap LED lights but they don't have the hi CRI rating.

12/11/20       #13: Shop Lighting ...
DOUGLAS P CONTI Member

CRI, I guess that is color? Well to be honest the new led lights we used did have a more of a blue color to them then the old yellowish flourcents. All I know is that they put out so much more light that the color of anything looks 100% better. We replaced a two bulb flourcent with a single 8 ft led, wired it direct (by passed the balast) to the 120v and turned them on. I think we got the 8 footers for $12-14 each. WE have 5000 sq ft and put up ten of them. We thought we were going to ten on the other side but when we turned them on they lite up the whole place, so we never went back and got the other ones. I guess I'll just have to put up with the low CRI like I really know what that is and even care less. Put them up and yo won't be dissapointed and you will never change bulbs again

12/11/20       #14: Shop Lighting ...
Bill

LED is a new technology. I was in a building that had LOTS of outdoor LED downlights and 100% of them failed in 6 months.

To think you will never change a bulb again is optimistic.

12/11/20       #15: Shop Lighting ...
Leo G Member

Usually the LEDs don't burn out, the drivers do. But in the end it's the same thing, no light comes on when you flip the switch.

Doug, CRI is how close the light comes to the color of the sun. The sun has a CRI of 100.

If you are doing critical color matches a high CRI is a good thing to have. If you are just doing woodworking, as long as the light is pleasing to work by the CRI doesn't matter much.

12/18/20       #16: Shop Lighting ...
AM

We did an LED conversion on all the lights in our shop a few years back utilizing an incentive program through our local power company. Best thing ever!! Mostly because we got rid of those stupid bulb covers OSHA requires on open fixtures. We had about 125 8' two bulb fixtures that we retrofitted to 4' bulbs with kits supplied by the electrical house eliminating all the ballast. The other half of our shop was HO enclosed fluorescent fixtures that we completely replaced with similar LEDs. So much better light and so far durability has been good. We worked with a local electrical supply house that did all the paperwork for us in return for selling us overpriced light bulbs and fixtures, however they are of much better quality than the cheap Amazon specials.

2/23/22       #17: Shop Lighting ...
John Golden

I think we got the 8 footers for $12-14 each. WE have 5000 sq ft and put up ten of them. We thought we were going to ten on the other side but when we turned them on they lite up the whole place, so we never went back and got the other ones.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Doucet Machinery
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!