Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

lumber warping as it is ripped

5/23/22       
mike klostermann

I have always struggled with this problem and not sure if its just something every one deals with or if i am getting poor quality lumber.
the problem is when I joint an 8 foot long by 8inch wide board straight and flat then go to say rip it into 2.25 inch strips for door parts or faceframe parts it will bow and twist like crazy. I am lucky If I end up with two sticks out 20 that are straight enough to use the full length.
Is this normal or am i getting crappy lumber. i usually order FAS

5/24/22       #2: lumber warping as it is ripped ...
RichC

Absolutely not normal for kiln dried furniture grade lumber. Perfectly normal for kiln dried construction lumber. What grade and what lumber species are you buying?

5/24/22       #3: lumber warping as it is ripped ...
Mikeklostermann

I am mosty using hard maple or hickory. It doesn't seem to matter what species. As for grade I ask for FAS or select and better. I have always been told they are the same.

5/24/22       #4: lumber warping as it is ripped ...
Leo G Member

Depends on what twist and goes crazy means. Most all wood has stress in it. The only way to relieve that stress is to kiln dry and then let it sit for at least 6 months. And that doesn't always do it either.

If you want to get straight and flat boards you need to do it in proper sequence. And unfortunately it is more wasteful than what you want to do.

I rip all my boards to width plus 3/16" and if they are 12' or longer it's 1/4"

Then I face, plane and joint in that order. And then you can rip your boards to width. Usually they stay put. On occasion they will move slightly.

I buy all my stock skip planed and ripped one edge. That way if something cups I have the meat left to face and plane it back flat. I almost never by FAS to size anymore. And when I do I'm usually disappointed a few weeks down the pike grabbing a board and seeing a nice cup in it.

5/24/22       #5: lumber warping as it is ripped ...
RichC

I suggest you try a new supplier who does a better job with the kiln. FAS and select and better are not the same, but neither have anything to do with stressed wood. Very low grades have more knots and wild grain and can move more.

5/24/22       #6: lumber warping as it is ripped ...
door shop guy

Perfectly normal. Theres not a single piece of lumber through my shop that doesnt get ripped oversize and flattened on the jointer.

5/24/22       #7: lumber warping as it is ripped ...
BH Davis  Member

I would not expect to get usable 8' strips out of a board simply by ripping them out of an already trued wider board. Like others I would rip a skip faced board into over wide strips and then face and edge joint each strip. And I would only do this to 8' strips when the full length is required. My typical method is to cut face frames or stiles and rails 2" to 4" overlong out of wide boards, then rip those short boards into over wide strips and only after that finally take them to the jointer and planer. Then the final step is to cut these blanks to the required lengths.

BH Davis

5/25/22       #8: lumber warping as it is ripped ...
David R Sochar Member

It is not normal. It is a sign of case hardened lumber - a drying defect.

You can perform a simple test to see if it is case hardened. Cross cut a 5" to 7" wide board, and then cross cut it again so you have a piece of the board about 1 inch "long". Turn it so it is long grain parallel to the bandsaw blade and cut it like in the drawing. Date it and save it for your lumber rep.
It could be they don't know, or hope you don't know. Either way, it is to be avoided.

5/27/22       #9: lumber warping as it is ripped ...
Mark B

Both sides here but pretty much agree with David with regards to severe movement when ripping. We buy pretty much all FAS as well and the material we get has very little movement when ripping but to me it also depends on what your expecting out of the material. If your ripping standard cabinet rail/stile or face frame material ripping slightly over width then final with a back fence on a shaper on sticking is all we do as those parts are all going to be broken down into much shorter lengths. But it would be unrealistic to expect to be able to consistently rip perhaps long pantry stiles. You may get a few here and there but long parts often have to be cut oversize, edge/face jointed.

Occasionally we get packs from mills we dont use regularly and they will move more when ripping most commonly pinching or spreading at the riving knife which reminds me to avoid those sources whenever possible.

If the mill is grading accurately and the drying and stress relief is done correctly you should have minimal movement when breaking down even wide boards.

5/29/22       #10: lumber warping as it is ripped ...
Bruce H

I cross cut my door parts before ripping. Rip them over width, joint one face and plane for thickness. Final width is after the doors are assembled. In this way I get square, flat, perfect doors. A little extra work but I have no failures.

5/31/22       #11: lumber warping as it is ripped ...
David R Sochar Member

Process matters. You should have a process of lumber prep that is reliable and will yield the quality parts you need. Your lumber needs to be able to fit within that process.

We almost always get rough length first, then rough width, then face and edge, then plane to final thickness, then rip or plane to width, with allowances included.

If you have oversize parts to get - like for 8' pantry doors, then the lumber should be thicker - 5/4 or even 6/4 to get the stability you need. Draw your thick doors in section to see how they will integrate with the normal doors you make.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Doucet Machinery
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!