Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Post a Response
The staff at WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at any WOODWEB Forum. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.
Your Name:
Your Website:
Email Address:
Subject: Re: Laser Wood Business Cards

(read message guidelines).
Note: Do not use the below fields to advertise your business - only for links related to the discussion.
Thread Related Link URL:
Thread Related Link Title:
  To "point" to an image (picture) from another website, provide the URL (Web Address) of the file ( include ONE reference to http:// )
Thread Related Image URL:

Date of your Birth:

Upload a Thread Related File:
File Types: Image (gif-jpg-png-bmp), PDF, Sketchup, Video (mov avi wmv mpeg mpg mp4 ogg). (Image Upload Tips)

I have read the Site User Agreement and agree with the Terms

<= Check to receive e-mail notification of responses

Message Thread:

Laser Wood Business Cards

11/21/19       
Derrick Keisel Member

We have been messing around with our Epilog Laser Machine. We came up with a pretty nice business card and molding samples to give out.

Has anyone else done something similar?

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

http://www.awcarter.net

11/22/19       #2: Laser Wood Business Cards ...
David

Derrick,

Cards of Wood is a name that comes to mind. They used to do a lot of these when I was involved in the woodworking industry.

11/22/19       #3: Laser Wood Business Cards ...
MarkB Member

Wood business cards have been around a long time. Several posts in the archives from people who feel they carry some weight. My guess is anyone who would take the pain for a somewhat disposable item also takes great pains in their work which is actually what wins them work.

This landed to me from a vendor a few years back and has remained tacked to the tackboard behind my desk since.

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 1960)

11/22/19       #4: Laser Wood Business Cards ...
MarkB Member

By the way, thats an actual piece of thin wood veneer.

11/22/19       #5: Laser Wood Business Cards ...
rich c.

Personally can't see the benefit. It's not like it's extra creative, just a piece of veneer. Now if you make one that folds out into something, has a set of rotating gears, or has protractor marks and a rule along one side, then maybe it'll stay around longer than a paper business card.

11/24/19       #6: Laser Wood Business Cards ...
MarkB Member

I pretty much agree Rich. But I do remember a post a long while back where someone said they felt their wood business cards (purchased I believe) really made a bit of an impact. I havent ordered business cards in ages and whenever Im handed one I pretty much know the number is either going in my phone, or already is, and then it will be in the landfill.

I did think that holiday saw blade deal was a pretty cool idea and I know I got enough of a kick out of it to hold onto it for perhaps the last 4 years lol. Notice there is no date on it so Im sure they were smart and ordered a boat load sans date so they were able to be sent out year after year.

Its crazy. That thing is a wafer thin 3 ply veneer and has held up well. My guess is printed and die cut rapid fire for that thing.

Promo items just dont seem to carry the weight anymore. I remember, as Im sure you do, when collecting business cards was an art form. Back in the rotary/touch tone dialing days. Poof.

11/24/19       #7: Laser Wood Business Cards ...
rich c.

MarkB, Back in the Rolodex days, right?

11/25/19       #8: Laser Wood Business Cards ...
Russ

Derrick

In my opinion I would focus more on what you can actually make with the equipment you have on your business card. For example

Highest Quality Hardwood Mouldings
Custom Interior & Exterior Doors
Wood Box Beams
Newel Boxes
Stair Parts, Balusters
Murphy Beds

Find more ways to get exposure thru your website, business card exposure is limited at best.

Just a thought
Russ @ MR

11/25/19       #9: Laser Wood Business Cards ...
Ryan

We use the thickest cards from vista print. They are really thick and people talk about it all the time. For the small amount of cards that cabinet makers give out spend a little more and stand out.

11/26/19       #10: Laser Wood Business Cards ...
David R Sochar Member

A card that is perceived as unusual will hang around longer. Like the holiday saw blade, it is novel and unusual and has survived. The card will not make business for you, but it will round out a professional appearance. Goes with a clean shirt, sharp pencils and a good attitude as tools for a sale.

Not a business card, but I once got an announcement from a vendor that was printed on the working face of a 9 x 12 sheet of 120 grit sandpaper. The vendor wanted me to know they were now stocking and supplying various types of sanding products. I kept that around, first to show to bosses that clever is good, secondly because I did not know what to do with it. 120 grit gets used in the shop, but it is too nice to just use. So there it sits.

Oddly, the advert came from a Mennonite supplier in Northern Indiana, trying to expand out from the Amish market. They just are not innovative in my experience.

And no, I did not change abrasive vendors.

11/26/19       #11: Laser Wood Business Cards ...
D Brown

It seems it was over 30 years ago I bought several orders of cards from Cards of wood in Belmont Michigan. Even then they were expensive but,,,, when people got a hold of a card they realized it was real wood. They are different and do make a statement.

I think people tend to keep things that are unique or different. Will they get you business prolly not ? But they are really cool.

12/4/19       #12: Laser Wood Business Cards ...
Derrick Keisel Member

I THANK you all for your posts. You all have valid points. Like everyone has seen, business cards do end up on a desk, trash or "lost".. Thank you all for insight and honest answers.

12/12/19       #13: Laser Wood Business Cards ...
Matt

If you're dealing with builders/contractors mostly, you'll get a lot more rapport with them if you give them a nice wood clipboard with your company laser engraved on the backside along with a promise that you'll actually have cabinets to install on the date you promise them.

1/4" baltic birch makes a very schnazzy clipboard that people actually WANT to use. Just rob the clip off a cheap masonite clipboard and rivet it onto the baltic.

1/2/20       #14: Laser Wood Business Cards ...
Derrick Keisel  Member

Matt, that's a genius idea! Thank you all for the info and ideas, I greatly appreciate it.

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)