Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Start over with your dream shop/business

10/20/20       
Charlie W Member

I have the opportunity to start another new shop from scratch with a group of investors. We will focus on commercial casework and millwork. My realistic goal for total sales in year 1 (2021) will be 1.2m I want to be able to scale quickly if needed up to 2-3m a year without moving the shop. If you could build this shop what machines and methods would you select? Also what shop size would you want?

I appreciate your thoughts.

10/20/20       #2: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Mark B Member

My first investment if I were starting over with a munch of money to invest would be a beach chair, a cottage on some.cardibean island, a small boat, and a firm investment in sunscreen. ;-) at that point i may invest in some cabinet import company.

10/20/20       #3: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
cabinetmaker

Self label, self load, push off cnc router 12 pos tool changer, boring block.

Auto Doweler

Edgebander with 3mm corner round, return conveyor

Auto case lamp.

3 seats of microvellum or CabinetVision. File server

Forklift. 2 semi trailers for assembled casework storage

10/20/20       #4: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

Mark, is correct.

10/20/20       #5: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
rich c.

The best way to make a million dollars in your first year, is to start with 3 million. That's the same for farming, and that joke has circulated in my home town for at least 100 years! If I could describe how to make millions, I would have never retired. Good luck!

10/21/20       #7: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Jim Member

Don't put any of your own money in it.
You will be the one all those investors will blame when the figures you've projected don't materialize.
Save your money for your forced retirement.

10/21/20       #8: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
TonyF

Charlie W:

As with others, I would question the investment savvy, and perhaps even the psychiatric viability, of a group of individuals that would collectively come to the conclusion that it is a good idea to invest in the architectural millwork industry in 2020.

Startups are hard, and investors can be less than supportive when a quick financial return does not materialize. Hopefully your investors are the patient type.

You might wait until you actually make your first million before you concern yourself with scaling up. Always nice to have a game plan, though.

Without knowing all of the details, it is interesting that these investors apparently won't invest in your current operation, yet want to include you in a future enterprise. Why not scale up what you already have?

What is your current business model, and why have you decided to abandon it? Or is the new venture in conjunction with your existing venture?

To piggyback on Rich C.'s joke, two woodworking enterprises can lose money twice as fast as one. Put your beach chair next to Mark B.'s, pop a Corona, and enjoy the sunset.

TonyF

10/21/20       #9: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Anon

The biggest question I have is how do you think you're going to supply those sales and the leads for those sales? What will your competitive advantage be? Manufacturing is the easy part. Nothing happens until you sell something.

10/21/20       #10: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Charlie W Member

cabinetmaker,

Thanks for your response. I have a similar list of tools that I was thinking of. I have not worked with a case clamp and dowler for years but it seams like the best way to go for the commercial case work industry. I currently use CV but though that maybe a different program would be better for the commercial side.

"cabinetmaker
Self label, self load, push off cnc router 12 pos tool changer, boring block.

Auto Doweler

Edgebander with 3mm corner round, return conveyor

Auto case lamp.

3 seats of microvellum or CabinetVision. File server

Forklift. 2 semi trailers for assembled casework storage"

10/21/20       #11: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Charlie W Member

Mark B and Karl E Brogger,

Mark, I love the dry humor. I'm not against working with importers (I currently do) but I have found over the years that there is a profit to be made in millwork -not easy but definably possible-
Karl, the link you shared looks like a custom residential shop. I already have one of those (the family business) The new shop will be commercial casework and some selected millwork. I'm sure it can all be imported but that will not work for my customers because of long lead times and lack of flexibility. I have and will continue to consider using importers for specific offerings but I have not been able to make it work on the commercial side as of yet.

I will continue to sell import modular cabinets to local contractors all day long with my other business..

10/21/20       #12: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Charlie W Member

"Jim Member

Don't put any of your own money in it.
You will be the one all those investors will blame when the figures you've projected don't materialize.
Save your money for your forced retirement."

Jim a little positivity goes a long way... But the advise is sound. I'm not putting my money in. I have a unique situation that give me and the capital investors reason to believe this will work. Failure is always an option if you allow it to be. even when its not an option it can be a reality this is not lost on me. But with no risk comes little reward.

10/21/20       #13: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Charlie W Member

TonyF,

You have some great observations and ask good questions. I'm keeping my current high end custom millwork company separate for business reasons. The investors and myself have a very unique situation, we have the first 1.7m in the pipeline and nearly half of that in contract before we open the shop doors. The short version is we have a great customer base and a team in place to make this happen. Start ups are very hard but it is amazing what a team of dedicated people can do. I have spent my career starting a running business. And though a beach chair is in the long term plans I'm not there yet.

"TonyF

Charlie W:

As with others, I would question the investment savvy, and perhaps even the psychiatric viability, of a group of individuals that would collectively come to the conclusion that it is a good idea to invest in the architectural millwork industry in 2020.

Startups are hard, and investors can be less than supportive when a quick financial return does not materialize. Hopefully your investors are the patient type.

You might wait until you actually make your first million before you concern yourself with scaling up. Always nice to have a game plan, though.

Without knowing all of the details, it is interesting that these investors apparently won't invest in your current operation, yet want to include you in a future enterprise. Why not scale up what you already have?

What is your current business model, and why have you decided to abandon it? Or is the new venture in conjunction with your existing venture?

To piggyback on Rich C.'s joke, two woodworking enterprises can lose money twice as fast as one. Put your beach chair next to Mark B.'s, pop a Corona, and enjoy the sunset."

10/21/20       #14: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Mark B Member

dry humor aside, and yes, Im a small pittance of a shop, CNC,... what your talking about, I would be lean cell. A single human observer from unit quantity, to assembly. Set a unit, and no human touches it until it hits the case clamp and hardware. Automated unit racking and storage, automatic unit retrieval.

Local shop processes a tractor and trailer load of melamine a week. They are shipping material on their own tractor and trailers 4 states away. So depending on your location and demographic you will likely be bidding on work that is nationally competitive.

Only you and your investors know your day in and day out projected volume. A big money job or contract or two on the books doesnt equate to day in and day out throughput. We have monster jobs come through the shop that would be phenomenal if they happened consistently. But you cant ramp up demand on the fly. If you have a rock solid steady demand,... its a no brainer and their is no point in asking. You should be investing in the uber high end, robotics, automated handling of all parts, at every station, hands down. Its money in the bank.

The shop I mention was shipping a single job that was 2 million dollars worth of cabinetry. One job.

10/24/20       #15: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Quicktrim

I love all of you on here because the brotherhood of sawdust makers are the ones who have worked hard long hours at a craft that is very tough to get above average at and takes a lot of perseverance.

My advice , just do it all on your own.

I believed in it so much I sold my house and watched every auction that was out there for a year until I got everything that I needed.

Then I learned how to wire three phase, run dust pipe, fix machines and run software and machines.

Before my shop , eight months ago, I could make 400 to 800 a day installing cabinets.

Now I don't do less than 1000.00 a day ever, usually about 1500.00

Paid off all my investment and now making very good money.

I was an installer of residential cabinets , commercial cabinets , and panel systems, spiral staircase etc... for 20 plus years.
I learned the best way to build things so they install easy and fast. That is critical because commercial work is often turnkey and a lot of money can be made and lost in the install.

Get really f ing good at all aspects of this business. Then when you believe go do it .

I will hit over 400 k profit myself my second year in , it is very possible but not easy.

5x10 cnc, no auto load or unload as of yet
Auto dowel
Mozaik
Three case clamps
Massive bander
Forklift
Shipping containers for storage
Box truck
Trailers
Big planer
Martin slider
Double head wide belt
Hot glue system
Tub drill
Shaper
Power feeders
Unisaw
Drill press
Dust collection
Air dryer
Two compressor s
Dovetail drawer clamp

Mainly plam casework and tops , solid surface, reception desks, box mantles, floating shelves.

It's simple .
Do it till you are really f ing good for others , then go do it for yourself , investors = fast ramp up and lots of stress.

10/27/20       #16: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

Okay, how in the F are you getting $400k profit, by yourself? I would need about $1.2m and zero debt to make that happen.
If you work 3500 hours a year, that's about $342/hr

10/27/20       #17: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Jim Member

Respectfully. I call Fake News.

10/27/20       #18: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Stuart Douglas Member

Lets not forget the important part. You need humans! Robots are nice, but you need motivated, talented humans to make sure things proceed smoothly. A single bad apple can spoil the barrel and even a little bit of toxic personality will sap the ambition out of a resilient, valued employee. Where is this new shop located? Location will make a big difference, not only in payroll, but in the talent available to fill your rolls. Your equipment lists are looking good, I would add that you will need some sort of small finishing space and equipment; even the PL commercial jobs we get often have some solid wood/veneer work. Stain and topcoat, or paint. Don't overlook the cost of meeting the new OSHA safety standards. They are changing fast and have changed A LOT over the last 10 years.

10/28/20       #19: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
pat s gilbert

His name isn't Quicktrim for nothing

10/28/20       #20: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Scott

I would agree with some of the equipment lists mentioned, but the number one item you need is a beam saw. You don’t cut casework parts with a cnc.
You need a Good(for everything) beam saw, edge bander, cnc for machining for all your hardware ( hinges, drawer slides, shelf pins , pull outs, etc, along with dato for backs depending on cabinet design) Doweling machine, case clamp. You can crank out casework at an unbelievable rate, to up the process you go with more automation and return conveyors, etc. If you need more production you go to multiple shifts and if more needed you start doubling equipment.
You will still need a process for doors and drawer boxes which in house is a $$$ more equipment.
Good luck.

10/28/20       #21: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Quicktrim

I am happy to post my numbers for everyone along with my contracts.

Remember I sold my house , bought 500k in machines used for 150k and have zero debt , and a 900.00 a month shop lease .

Live in a major market and am very good at what I do.

Example :
This month - solid surface tops
I get material and build up for 15.00 a sq ft.
That covers all material glue build up is IPB 3" strips
I sell for 39.00 a sq foot installed.
That is a margin of 24.00 per sq foot.

I have 10" sanders and miter fold all drop edges, no inside corners , high end apt complex

24.00 x 5000 = 120,000.00 profit

Took me and my 23.00 per hour helper 28 working days to fab and install 46 units less than two units a day built and installed.

I'm just putting this out there because I believe in the human potential to do more than we think and believe that now is a unique te in history where the cost and availability of technology and machining had come to a point where the small shop can automate and kill it .

My 2 cents

PS look at Spencer Lewis on instagram
#insidercarpentry this dude clears over 200k per year as a solo trim guy who works out of a garage ....

Just sayin

10/28/20       #22: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Calceus Member

Agree #10

10/29/20       #23: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Paul Downs

If I am understanding you correctly, you are referring to gross profit on the in-shop portion of the project, not net profit. It looks like you are omitting the labor costs during install for you and your helper. Not to mention any charges for premises rent, depreciation of machines, insurance, taxes, utilities, the vehicles and insurance for same to get you to the site, etc.

I would recommend you hire an accountant and get some education about GAAP (generally accepted accounting practices) and figure out what your real profit might be. Not saying there isn't some - you might be doing great. But if you are planning on investing in an operation of the size you envision you are going to need to know what you are doing.

10/29/20       #24: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
pat s gilbert

Spencer Lewis is incredible, looked at the link you posted.

10/30/20       #25: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Quicktrim

Paul you are correct.
I have not figured in my salary and my helpers wages into that .

We also supply all sinks and make a markup on those but I did not include that either.

10/31/20       #26: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Hen Bob Member

Quicktrim,

I gotta say i'm a little jealous of the $900 a month lease, that barley covers my electric bill :(

Happy Halloween everybody!

11/25/20       #28: Start over with your dream shop/bus ...
Mark B Member

Im uber late to this but the fab numbers on the solid surface seem real but the install cuts the margin by a mile and as has been already posted the delusion of what "profit" is... which doesnt seem to equate to true profit or account for "my salary or helpers wages" seems pretty bizarre.

Oddly this same confluence was brought to my attention by Pat a while back.. The spencer lewis, quicktrim, etc..

I gave a glance at the spencer lewis thing and some impressive stuff. I hate to sound like a jerk but Ive never worked from my home or "a garage". Times change and I know thats the norm and a trim carpenter or even a contractor can run from home but that doesnt in any way mean that roof, electric bill, heat bill, maintenance, is free.

This maker movement seems to be completely at peace with a self imposed lie that working from home equals more money in your pocket when it really just means you spend more convenient hours working because its closer to your bed and you spend more time lying to yourself about your true salary or gross profit.

Being busy and swamped with work doesnt mean our profitable. You sold your house in trade for equipment. Where do you live? Who pays your health care? Liability insurance? $23/hr man and workers comp? Unemployment? Thats $40-50K off the top of the 400 right there and thats just a single missed line item.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • Rangate
      Woodworking Machinery, Supplies and Knowledge
    • Impact Search and Placement
      Professional Employment Recruiting Specialists
    • Machine Bid
      Online auction site for buying and selling high-quality machinery. We offer a secure, online bidding platform, featuring CNC routers, Edgebanders, Sanders, and much more; new equipment added daily
    • Vexor Custom Woodworking Tools, Inc.
      Custom and Standard Router Bits, Shaper Cutters, Profile Knives, Multi Profile Insert Tooling and More
    • WoodJobs.com Search Consultants
      Free Employment Service for Woodworking Related Job Seekers
    • ULTI-BOARD
      The Ultimate Spoilboard - ULTI-BOARD - Specifically Engineered and Formulated for the Ultimate in Spoilboard Performance - Not Your Ordinary Sheet of MDF.
    • NEMI
      Products For CNC Machines - Digitizers, Tool Setters, Vacuum Pods, Vacuum Cups, Vacuum Tables, Vacuum Chucks and Software
    • Better Vacuum Cups, Inc.
      Vacuum Cups for All CNC Routers As Well As Many After Market Parts for Your CNC
    • OMEC/Macoser Inc
      Exclusive Importer of European Woodworking Machinery Since 1988
    • TradeJobPlacement.com
      Individualized Placement Services, Specializing in Millwork Design Engineers
    • TradeSoft
      Seamless Management Software to Improve Estimating, Job Costing, Scheduling, Purchasing, Shipping, and Shop Floor Data Collection
    • INNERGY
      INNERGY is the ERP for woodworkers, by woodworkers. We are birth to death millwork.
    • Air Handling Systems
      Your Best Source for Dust and Fume Collection

Become a Sponsor today!