Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Employees per Gross Sales

12/1/20       
Nick Cook Member

Hello,

Has anyone produced or studied in our industry (Custom Cabinet Making), data indicating the number of employees per 100k of gross sales or something along those lines? Or perhaps an average labor cost as a percentage of income? I'm looking for a general rule of course.
Thanks for any advice or help.

12/1/20       #2: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Ryan

I think this is a good question but could depend a lot on different factors. We outsource all doors and drawers. A lot of shops make these and will need employees to do so. We also have a cnc which cuts down on a lot of labor hours. There are shops that can do 2 million with 6 guys in the shop and there are shops that struggle to do a million with 6 guys in the shop.

12/1/20       #3: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Paul Downs

I ask this question to every wood shop owner I meet, and to any manufacturer I encounter. The following numbers refer to shops that are producing all of their work in shop, i.e. don't do a significant amount of reselling work manufactured by others (except for hardware.) The method is simple: divide gross sales by ALL employees, including office and whoever else is on the payroll, including the owner. Combine part timers to FTEs. Ignore overtime. Here are the numbers I've gathered:

Under $100k/employee: the shop is struggling, and/or the employees are poorly paid. There will be significant turnover and other HR problems. The owner may be making a very low hourly wage, when their pay is divided into the number of hours they are working.

$100k to $150k/employee: probably still a bad situation, with low profits, low wages, and turnover.

$150k/employee: this is the beginning of a profitable company where the owner makes a fair wage and then some, and employees can make enough to survive.

For further benchmarking, in 2019 my company did 4.066 million in revenue with 21.5 FTEs. That's $189k/head. All of them were well paid, with health insurance, vacations, and pension plan. Wages/earnings in my shop range from $20/hr to $80/hr for the salespeople (who get salary and commission, but that's what it works out to as an hourly wage.) I made $344k. Some of that salary, some profit.

I'm sure that there are others out there who have different numbers and different ideas as to what those numbers mean. Feel free to add your own numbers and tell us what you think is a healthy $/employee number. I've encountered numbers as low as $75k/employee and as high as $250k/employee for shops that did some outsourcing. (I've heard as high as $750k/employee for some kinds of consulting and software businesses.) Obviously, there will be geographic variation and other variation driven by the product and customer base.

I hope that more of you add your numbers - it's an interesting metric that I believe gives a very quick read on the health of a company. But like all numbers, it doesn't tell you nothing and it doesn't tell you everything.

12/2/20       #6: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Oggie Member

I think 'Employees per Profit' would filter out a lot of noise from those numbers.

12/2/20       #7: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Mike

We will do about $5 million this year outsourcing very little and will average about $220K per employee this year. This is commercial millwork and stone/solid surface in house.

12/2/20       #8: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Alan F.

Historically one of the measurements has been sales dollars per hour per production employee. NASFM used to provide about 10 different metrics to use for analysis. I have posted this somewhere on this board in the past, whether search works or is still around is another issue.

For bids I subtract installation and sub contract items like stone from the sales price and divide by number of shop hours in the bid.

So I get this at time of bid as a cross check, I also use it as a cross check on change orders.
Hours $ Per Production Hour
515.00 $253.99

Total sales per production hour is this (with install and stone)
Hours $ Gross Sales Per Production Hour
515.00 $773.09

This sale is weighted differently because the stone is about 30% of the project and its install heavy (about 25% of the sale)

I use the number more as a check to make sure pricing is in a profitable range.

A-

12/2/20       #9: Employees per Gross Sales ...
David R Sochar Member

I agree with Paul's summation that that number is an important one. Be careful, though. Those numbers do not reflect changes in the dollar. When my shop first hit 100k per man, I thought I had arrived.

Two of us can hit 400k when we are busy and want to work the 40 a week (each) to make that. I'm only in the shop half the time, so the gross reflects that.

12/2/20       #10: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Alan F.

The dollars per production hour loses some value on jobs with high material costs that are lower labor costs and vice versa, gross margin is always the better indicator and net income before (adjusted) ebita or ebitda is best

12/3/20       #11: Employees per Gross Sales ...
TonyF

If, as Paul Downs says, the number doesn't tell you nothing and doesn't tell you everything, then the number seems rather arbitrary, given the wide range of expenditures that any shop does or doesn't have.

If you are heavily indebted to the holder of the loans on your machinery, building, or operating capital, then gross per employee seems like just another statistic, fraught with assumptions and possible misinformation.

Perhaps as Oggie says, net profit per employee would paint a better picture, without the assumptions of what any shop's expenses, debt load, or tax situation may or may not be.

I seem to recall the tag line from an old tax-free mutual fund commercial: "It's not what you make, it's what you keep".

If I am wrong, please tell me why.
TonyF

12/3/20       #12: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Anon Member

I agree with Paul, and have shared my numbers with him one time at a trade show. He's not kidding when he says he ask's everyone he comes in contact with when given the opportunity. It is a quick and dirty way to compare and see where you stand.

I'm also sorry that I'm posting Anon. I'm a components mfg. and I have customers on this forum and don't want to share these numbers with them.

I have 12 employees including my self and it looks like I'll finish the year at 2.1M in sales. $175K per man. Profitable, but I'm looking to improve on it next year with processing changes.

12/3/20       #13: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Paul Downs

The reason I ask that particular question is because most people know the answers, including employees. I've talked to many, many workers whose bosses did not share any aspect of the company finances with them, but they knew those two numbers.

I have yet to meet anyone who was below 80k/employee who was in a sustainable situation. (Hobbyists excluded.) It correlates highly with high employee turnover, shady business practices, and missed payroll. Very large operations can get away with numbers below $150/k a head. Obviously, automation and outsourcing can shift the number significantly.

Questions about other aspects of finances get very complicated, fast. They also don't allow for quick comparisons across industries.

12/3/20       #14: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Nick Cook Member

Ok now, these are very informative. I'm thinking of this in terms of the fewer employees it takes to generate x dollars in sales the better. To a point. We're at a point where we feel the need to add a front office person. These answers have been a great quick first step.

12/3/20       #15: Employees per Gross Sales ...
ExPat Member

We did roughly 166K per employee at the custom residential shop I used to work - when we kept the pipeline full. Wages were decent, turnover was low - more people were encouraged to seek opportunities elsewhere than chose to leave. Profits were moderate but consistent. We outsourced very little, so labor costs were high. I think you are on the right track Nick, provided you have surplus capacity to handle an uptick in sales. Nice site by the way!

12/3/20       #16: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Nick Cook Member

Thanks Expat,

Thank you for the compliment on the site. I basically run the cabinet shop for the owner. He runs a remodeling business and we do cabinet jobs for those also. But I'm spread thin and getting inefficient and making mistakes due to being pulled in every direction. Trying to break down the process and see what category or categories a new person should take over as a job description. If it's warranted to hire an additional person. Or perhaps have the shop foreman take over some ordering, or hire a full time sales person to relive me of walk ins and customer relations.

12/4/20       #17: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

Paul, what size shop, or number of employees do you have in mind when thinking of those numbers.

12/4/20       #18: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Paul Downs

I've spoken to people in shops ranging from 1 to 200 employees. Not just woodworkers, either.

12/6/20       #19: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Hen Bob Member

This year will end up around 250k per employee, Three of us full time and a part time kid that helps on the weekends.

We outsource 90% of all doors and all drawers. I'm defiantly looking to hire another person after the holidays.

12/22/20       #20: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Jonah Coleman  Member

This information is available yearly in the AWI Cost Of Doing Business Survey. It is an annual industry survey, and provides things like average pay rates by position, average number of employees, average balance sheet, average income statement, etc. From these you can deduce a lot of information.

The information is segregated by revenue size, region, high/low profitability, installation model (e.g. in-house or out-sourced).

From memory the average AWI firm reported revenue/head in the high $150k area (I want to say $157k but again just from memory). You can look at the average firm's net operating profit and decide whether being average is a good thing or not.

Old boss of mine always says: all numbers need a comparison. I buy this report annually to be that comparison.

12/23/20       #21: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Derrek

I agree with Paul on this. One way to look at it is this. Most business seem to break down sales at about 1/3 is materials, 1/3 is labor and 1/3 goes to profit and overhead. If your under $100k per employee the above numbers can’t work out because your employee cost is going to be over 50% of your sales number for any employee making 18-20/ hr
We did just over 2 million this year with 12ish employees $160k per. all well paid, healthcare and 401k and nice Christmas bonus and I made good money this year

12/29/20       #22: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Jerry Cunningham

Paul,

Congratulations, it seems like your sales have almost doubled since 2012 when you first publicly posted financial snapshots.

What were some of the factors that attributed to doubling your revenue? Was it purely sales/marketing improvements, did your market mature and expand etc? I'm guessing it's a combination of all those factors.

Here's to 5MM in 2021!

12/29/20       #23: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Jerry Cunningham

2019 sales 275k with one employee who transitioned to part time the end of the 3rd quarter. With this arrangement I worked 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week. Always behind, always stressed.

2020 sales will come in around 575k. Started the year with the one part time worker who ended up retiring in May. It took until September to find 2 great full time employees. 1 for production/machining, 1 for shipping/fulfillment, and myself for sales/administration. We will carry about 140k of backlog into 2021. Since the hiring of the 2 FT I have been working normal work weeks 40-50 hours a week, and the only weekend time at the shop is for improvements such as moving equipment around etc...

We sell bookcases and wine racks direct to consumer, stock designs nothing custom. Monthly sales have been up 2x-3x since April and everybody needed to get their home office arranged and were stockpiling wine reserves!

12/31/20       #24: Employees per Gross Sales ...
Paul Downs

Jerry: Wow, you have been paying attention. Yes, we've made progress. It was really a combination of efforts on many fronts:

1) Website design and optimization, to increase the number of people who see the site. I took money out of my Google Adwords budget and put it into my site developers. We grew the number of people calling from 785 in 2012 to 1095 in 2019. (And it fell back to 840 this year.)

2) Sales training to maximize the yield from every lead. That included hiring a person who does nothing but take the initial contact and qualify that lead. A critical part of this was implementing call recording so that I could review what our sales team was actually saying to clients. I also hired a part time sales manager to review those calls and provide ongoing feedback to the sales team. Average sales per qualified lead went from $4343 in 2012 to $11,007 this year.

3) On the shop floor, I got rid of ineffective managers and found one that was both technically proficient and was a good people person. (Not the guy I described the book - he turned out to have some character issues.) I made sure that every critical person in the production chain had a backup, so they didn't get burned out. I started meeting with every employee, one on one, at least once a quarter.

4) I figured out a better way to hire, although the success rate has not been 100%. I standardized it - wrote the ad and saved it, made a scoresheet for every applicant that I can reuse, gave everyone the same test and asked them all the same questions. Now I don't need to scramble if I need to hire. I just run the process.

5) I forced the team to use our database tool effectively, so that they are all seeing the same information and can trust what they see. I also made them have regular meetings so that issues can be solved. This may seem obvious to anyone in a larger company, but when you are making the transition past 10 employees then it is very important that the company has more structure.

6) Checklists, checklists, checklists. Every time my team identifies a regularly repeated error, we put a checklist in place to make sure it doesn't happen again.

7) Writing down and living by a set of culture rules, so that we all know what the expectation will be for how we work, how we innovate, and how we disagree.

8) Making sure that everyone in the company understands the numbers, and managing to our production and financial goals. I do this through regular meetings to review financial concepts and performance.

9) A strong economy helped a lot.

This is a very quick list, and I'm not editing it for elegant language.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • Impact Search and Placement
      Professional Employment Recruiting Specialists
    • NEMI
      Products For CNC Machines - Digitizers, Tool Setters, Vacuum Pods, Vacuum Cups, Vacuum Tables, Vacuum Chucks and Software
    • Air Handling Systems
      Your Best Source for Dust and Fume Collection
    • Cabinetshop Maestro
      Web-Based Project Management Software for Custom Cabinet Shops - Manage Jobs from Prospect to Punchlist Through Scheduling, Task Management, Time Tracking and Communication
    • INNERGY
      INNERGY is the ERP for woodworkers, by woodworkers. We are birth to death millwork.
    • OMEC/Macoser Inc
      Exclusive Importer of European Woodworking Machinery Since 1988
    • Machine Bid
      Online auction site for buying and selling high-quality machinery. We offer a secure, online bidding platform, featuring CNC routers, Edgebanders, Sanders, and much more; new equipment added daily
    • WoodJobs.com Search Consultants
      Free Employment Service for Woodworking Related Job Seekers
    • TradeSoft
      Seamless Management Software to Improve Estimating, Job Costing, Scheduling, Purchasing, Shipping, and Shop Floor Data Collection
    • Better Vacuum Cups, Inc.
      Vacuum Cups for All CNC Routers As Well As Many After Market Parts for Your CNC
    • TradeJobPlacement.com
      Individualized Placement Services, Specializing in Millwork Design Engineers
    • ULTI-BOARD
      The Ultimate Spoilboard - ULTI-BOARD - Specifically Engineered and Formulated for the Ultimate in Spoilboard Performance - Not Your Ordinary Sheet of MDF.
    • Rangate
      Woodworking Machinery, Supplies and Knowledge

Become a Sponsor today!