Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

scaling up production of non-rectangular parts

5/18/17       
Dan

Good morning all,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on the advantages of going from flat-table CNC to beam saw/point-to-point. I know there is lots of data on this for conventional cabinet parts, but what about more complex parts with more tool changes?

We currently have a conventional 5x10 flat table 3-axis router. We are making an unusual product that is comprised of about 19 sheets of laminate clad 3/4" and 1/2" plywood, about 110 cut plywood parts in all. The product is unusual in that maybe 80% of the parts are non-rectangular, and all of them require tool changes: About 20% of the parts only require one tool change (perimeter cut followed by a drilling operation, for example), but the remaining parts need as many as five different tools.

How does the relatively high complexity of this sort of task affect the choice of machinery and process for large scale production? Let's say 1,000 sheets per month scale. How about 5,000?

Right now, before refining the toolpathing to squeeze every bit of efficiency out of it, we are averaging 95 seconds per part to machine start to finish, including the time to load/offload the router. (based on 19 sheets and 110 finished parts) So this is from the moment the first sheet is loaded to the moment the 110th machined part comes off the cnc bed and is placed in a pile.

I can imagine the benefit of stack cutting on the beam saw all the rectangular parts that only have a single tool operation after it's perimeter cut. We would make a jig for the router table so you could load as many as 8 identical parts at a time and pendulum machine those parts. The router would work continuously until the pile is gone with the operator pulling drilled parts off and loading blanks at the same time. But if there are tool changes, then I bet the pendulum efficiency probably vanishes pretty quickly. For multiple changes, unless that tool change happens in the matter of a few seconds (which it doesn't), I'm guessing I might as well just do it from start to finish on the CNC.

I can simulate different scenarios and put hard numbers on it, but am wondering what process a very large scale manufacturer might apply to this task? Is there no better approach to scale up than adding more CNC routers and run them in parallel? Maybe tweak design to get as many parts as possible to simple rectangles and reduce tool changes to a bare minimum?

Thanks!

5/18/17       #2: scaling up production of non-rectan ...
Bill

I sounds like you are saying each part has five tool changes? Each SHEET should have 5 tool changes. If you can't nest it with one tool change per tool you should look at your software.

If I misunderstood please ignore my reply.

Good Luck

Bill

5/18/17       #3: scaling up production of non-rectan ...
Dan

Many of the parts have between 3 and 5 tools required to machine them completely. So doing it as we are now with a flat table router start to finish, it is per sheet as you suggest. But if it's beam saw to point-to-point, I am assuming the change happens with every part. Am I missing something?

5/18/17       #4: scaling up production of non-rectan ...
Dan

another way to state my question and a lot more briefly is:

Is it true that machining parts nested on full sheets on a flat table router is sometimes faster, everything considered, than incorporating a beam saw, regardless of scale? It seems to me this is obviously true but maybe I am missing something since I don't have experience with mass production.

5/18/17       #5: scaling up production of non-rectan ...
Bill

I think it depends on the parts. Our CNC unloads itself. That helps a lot. A beam saw operation means you are going to handle the parts a lot.

The questions I would ask.

Does the router have the capacity to do what I need without affecting my other business?

Does the Router operator have other tasks be can be performing while the nest runs (like edge boring and banding)?

If it has the capacity and you are not inefficient with labor by having idle time then it is the way to go. If you can't meet the capacity or it would disrupt other business I would consider other options.

5/18/17       #6: scaling up production of non-rectan ...
Dan

The router operator's time is already allocated fully to other tasks while the router is cutting. The bottleneck is likely going to be cnc time. Currently actual machining time, including perimeter cutting on the router (since I don't have a beam saw) is 120 minutes for 19 sheets. load/unload should add about another 90 seconds between run files after we setup for sorting off the CNC bed, which we haven't done yet.

From your comments Bill it sounds like it really is the case that for some projects (heavy on complex non-rectangular shapes with multiple different tool operations per part), a nested flat table router cannot be improved upon. No matter what the scale. The only way to scale is to have multiple production cells, not some different process.

5/19/17       #7: scaling up production of non-rectan ...
DOM

This has been beaten to death here. What machine are you running? Software doesn't matter. If you don't have a enough machine you cant run fast enough. Tooling is a major player also of course. I have 4 very large CNC machines and 2 beam saws. I machine 3-5000 sheets per week on the routers. Complex parts not simple cabinet stuff. Good tooling and a heavy machine= speed. Ive worked on ptp machines before so i know and understand them well. It would be impossible for me to reach my production level i have now without nesting. I dont care that the saw can cut 8 sheets of 3/4 at a time. The parts not done then it has to get moved to another machine. We do have 2nd OPS on parts. I can put pods on my tables. You cant put a table where there's only pods. The major players are good at making deals on ptp machines. Look at the used and auction markets. They're flooded with these machines 8:1 ptp vs heavy iron. A good system quality tooling heavy machine and big balls.....success.

5/19/17       #8: scaling up production of non-rectan ...
Gary

Do you have an on-board tool changer and boring bars?

5/19/17       #9: scaling up production of non-rectan ...
Dan

Yes, 10 position tool changer.

A boring block would not improve times, nothing is standard repetitive spacing. A hole here, a hole there, different every part and a variety of different diameters. To machine the whole assembly I use nine out of my ten tool positions, though it's probably an average of 3 or 4 tool changes per sheet if I had to guess.

5/19/17       #10: scaling up production of non-rectan ...
Dropout Member

My machine has 2 spindles and can load the next tool while one is cutting effectively cutting the tool change time from 20 seconds to less than 5. Makes a big difference in cases like this.

5/20/17       #11: scaling up production of non-rectan ...
Gary

If you use the spindles independently of each other in the boring block and assign each with a different diameter boring bit you could eliminate a few tools and tool changes on the main spindle.

5/23/17       #12: scaling up production of non-rectan ...
Gary B.

I'm with the other Gary on this one...If you have more than one diameter of drill on an sheet, the boring block will save tool changes, which are time.

5/23/17       #13: scaling up production of non-rectan ...
Dropout Member

Can't imagine life without a drill block, if for no other reason than setup time.

I keep about 10 different sizes in the block.

5/26/17       #14: scaling up production of non-rectan ...
Larry

Are you saying you don't have a boring block? They change drill spindles almost instantly. How many different router bits does the pattern require, non- boring operations. I have a PTP used for one job. I would not get another! Next new machine will be a self load/unload router. PTP is for sale.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello