Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Murphy bed

9/19/19       
SteveL Member

I've had two requests for murphy beds for upcoming jobs. I've been asked in the past about these but none of those projects came about and not something I pursued. I can't avoid these any longer.

I'm curious how tall, deep and wide to allow and anything I should be aware of as someone who hasn't touched this kind of hardware before.
Like most things it probably isn't all that difficult once you figure out the hardware, but that is where I'm at a loss. There seems to be a bunch of different types and costs out there. Anyone have recommendations? Both projects are for full mattresses folding up at the head of the bed.

9/19/19       #2: Murphy bed ...
Robb Parker

We did one a couple of years ago. Used "Murphy Bed Company" hardware. Worked well and instructions were point on. Plans available from them.

9/19/19       #3: Murphy bed ...
Pat Gilbert

I went with Derrek Holland recommendations

View higher quality, full size image (3264 X 1836)

Derrek's video on Murphy Beds

9/19/19       #4: Murphy bed ...
Pat Gilbert

Wrong picture of previous two

9/19/19       #5: Murphy bed ...
SteveL Member

Pat, Very helpful Video thanks. Do you know what type/brand of Hardware he had in there?

9/19/19       #6: Murphy bed ...
Pat Gilbert

Wall bed hardware

Wall bed hardware

9/20/19       #7: Murphy bed ...
Thomas

SteveL

Take a look at this company. I have seen them at the IWF a few times and have used some of their hardware. Never a murphy mechanism though.

https://www.selbyhardware.com/

9/20/19       #8: Murphy bed ...
Paul Miller

A Murphy bed was something I had wanted to do for a long time and last year, we got a chance to do one. I got my hardware from Create-A-Bed and they have layouts and drawings with their hardware. Since the first one, we have done two more and I have another on the shop floor now.

In their directions, they say to follow their directions exactly and we did on the first one. But, their directions call for a depth of only 16" finished and we needed to go deeper on the next ones. We just added to the additional depth to the wall sides and the top header and built a headboard with a return ledge. This actually made it better because we put an slight angle on the headboard in case someone wanted to sit up in bed to read. I found their hole sizes to be a little too tight. Where it calls for a 1/4" or 5/8" or 1" hole, I added a 1/16" of an inch.

Create-A-Bed has a new adjustable lift mechanism and I have been using these after the first one and I find it easier to install. The only issue I have found is that the sides really need some support, a cabinet or wall. Also, the toe kick is really low and on one of the panels fronts, we had to put a bevel on the bottom for the front to be able to come down without hitting the toe board.

The first one we did, I bid at $5,600. This had a bed with two full high stands or cabinets, one on each side. I felt after the job that this was too low and I have been getting about $7,800 for similar ones since.

There are two different ways of supporting the bed when it comes down. You have the swing over the bed metal legs and you can also have legs that flip out. We have done both ways. The metal legs swing over the bottom of the bed is easier.

I will post some pictures later. I need help to do that. I think there is a demand for these beds. We cut our parts on a CNC and I was surprised that Create-A-Bed did not have a file to download for this, but its not too hard to make file.

Be aware, you will have to add lights and on one, we put in a Data center plug. The hardest part about adding the light was to locate the switch. When the bed folds up, there is only about 1/8" between the bed frame and the side wall. We have used a remote controlled switch sold by Hafele.

You will have to do a little thinking, but not really that difficult. I hope this helps.

9/20/19       #9: Murphy bed ...
ed Member

I have used both Murphy Bed and Create a Bed , liked the Create a Bed hardware over Murphy. just follow their instructions.
Ed

9/20/19       #10: Murphy bed ...
Paul Miller

A couple of pictures of Murphy Beds

View higher quality, full size image (1200 X 1600)

View higher quality, full size image (960 X 1280)

9/20/19       #11: Murphy bed ...
Paul Miller

Another picture. This bed has the fold down legs.

View higher quality, full size image (2250 X 3000)

9/20/19       #12: Murphy bed ...
Pat Gilbert

I think the SICO hardware is the best one but the one company I linked is a fraction of the cost.

Neither one have much adjustment to align the front panels though.

9/20/19       #13: Murphy bed ...
duster

I've done quite a few Murphy beds, and used several types of hardware. The one I like the best is the Pardo brand, which is distributed by Selby, Wurth Louis, and others. It has good adjustment for the front panel reveals and tension to compensate for the weight of the mattress, which can vary widely. I use their inside mount mechanism, which is completely concealed by the frame attached to the door panel. I've used these for 20 years and never had a call back.

View higher quality, full size image (800 X 755)

View higher quality, full size image (800 X 660)

View higher quality, full size image (800 X 553)

9/21/19       #14: Murphy bed ...
SteveL Member

Good information, Thanks.
I see most have a wood frame around the bed. My question is if using a type of hardware that has no bed frame with it, what type of support is needed for the middle? Do you just span it with plywood and mount the doors to that, or should there be something more substantial?

9/21/19       #15: Murphy bed ...
Pat Gilbert

This one screws directly to the panels

View higher quality, full size image (619 X 671)

9/23/19       #16: Murphy bed ...
Bruce H

I have made several wall beds. The first ones we used Create a Bed, never again. Too hokey. I liked Selby's hardware. Programmed it in the CNC, they moved the holes. Later, Louis & Co changed the price (up). A week ago I tried a set from Rockler. This one has a metal frame and wood slats that support the mattress. It's good idea because the mattress can "breathe" but the wood slat connection is made using a plastic cup pushed into holes. Don't know how long they will last. It did use ball bearings as the pivot. There is no adjustment for square? Well, anyway it wasn't a bad set of hardware.

I can build a 60" x 80" platform (it's actually larger for hardware) easy enough this issue is getting it up stairs at the jobsite in one piece. WAY too heavy. The Rockler used a metal frame with the front panels attached after installation. The rub there is they need to be removed (about 30 screws) if you want to get the bed frame off the cabinet or if the piston would need replacing down the road. Who thought of that? The Selby hardware was easily removed from the cabinet after installation and was adjustable for weight and square but the bed frame was just too heavy.

Every piece of hardware has it's weak and strong points. Too bad we can't get all the strong points in one unit. A combination of several units would be good. I followed Rockler's instruction, easy enough but in doing so I used five sheets of plywood because of having to clear a foundation wall. Now that was well engineered, not.

When you get all done it's difficult to see why these beds cost so much, there isn't much there. They just do.

9/24/19       #17: Murphy bed ...
Mark V.

Over the past few years, in my spare time, I have researched Murphy/Wall bed hardware quite extensively in the hopes of integrating them into my current business. It seems like that the adjustable Create-A-Bed hardware or the Selby Pardo system would be the best fit for me.

I like how the CAB system has an easily accessible mechanism for adjustment and would be very convenient for the end user (customer) to deal with in the future with mattress changes. Although the visible hardware (pistons) really turns me off.

Bruce H, could you please tell us what you found hokey about the Create-A-Bed system.

The Pardo hardware also looks really nice, especially the hidden system. I have experience with the visible installation, where my client had one installed a few years earlier by a cabinetmaker who failed to return to adjust it for the weight of the mattress! I adjusted it for them and it was a 2 person procedure, which is a big turn off. I can only imagine how challenging the hidden system would be.

duster, I have seen your beautiful work several times in the past. Can you share your experience with adjusting the hidden Pardo system?

Do any of these systems allow for a single person install?

Thanks for everyone’s input.

Mark

9/24/19       #18: Murphy bed ...
Bruce H

The create a bed hardware and instructions were something for a homeowner. The latching system used a string and a cheap cabinet hing that also made the support leg. Given the way they did the bed platform there is no way one person can do the install.

The Selby system was nice except the bed platform was too heavy to pack upstairs and not something I wanted to assemble on the job site. Other than that the spring mechanism was deluxe. It was easily adjustable for mattress weight and for square. The last time I wanted one Louis and Co jacked the price to five hundred dollars. Way too much for just a spring.

9/24/19       #19: Murphy bed ...
Mark V.

Bruce H,

Thank you for the additional information. From your description, I think that you used the least expensive hardware that they have and I agree, from what I have seen, it does look cheesy from a pro’s point of view. Have you seen the video of the adjustable hardware? The main differences are no latches, the leg assembly is better and the ability to easily adjust for different weight mattress.

Mark

Create-A-Bed Adj. Deluxe Murphy Bed Kit

9/24/19       #20: Murphy bed ...
Bruce H

I looked at your link and then at the build video on you tube. Still too hokey for me. It is a do-it-yourself kit. Taking the whole thing off the wall to install the struts doesn't seem like it was well thought out. Couldn't tell if the kit with the adjustable strut if you had to take it off the wall or not. There isn't a perfect kit, guess you just need to pick the level of pain to work with. My concern with the on from Rockler is how long will it last? The Selby is adjustable after it is installed. Why not all the details on one kit?

9/24/19       #21: Murphy bed ...
duster

The Pardo mechanism is adjusted by turning a fairly large hex bolt on the end of the unit. I use a large end wrench. I leave an access hole in the deck the mattress lays on so it can be tightened without removing the 1/4 ply panel.

I agree with Bruce that the door panel/mattress deck is heavy, difficult to move, and kind of a pain to assemble into the cabinet. It takes a minimum of 2 strong guys to get it into the cabinet. We sometimes leave the hardware and deck off until it's in the room to make it a little lighter.

All that being said, I still like the Pardo mechanism better.

9/25/19       #22: Murphy bed ...
Mark V.

Bruce,
The Rockler hardware (not the bed frame) seems to be very similar to the CAB hardware in that they both use gas pistons, but to me the CAB looks “cleaner” in the final installation as there is no massive metal bracket on the side panels and it is adjustable. Also, I believe Rockler had a recall on the hardware and it is (or was) often out of stock in the queen size. That said, this hardware does definitely have some good benefits and I will look into it further.

Mark

9/25/19       #23: Murphy bed ...
Mark V.

duster,
When I worked on the “visible” Pardo hardware installation, the bed needed to be held at 15-20° from vertical to make the tension adjustments. While my petite, female client held the very heavy bed the correct position, I ran back and forth making equal turns on the mechanism to balance the bed out. When looking at the hidden installation, it seems like it would be much more difficult because you have the box side in the way and the mattress on top which would need to be moved out of the way. Am I missing something here?

Mark

9/25/19       #24: Murphy bed ...
Richard

We make about 6 Murphy beds a year and use the CAB hardware for the main reason that I can install a bed by myself.
Once all the components are in the room it takes me about a hour to assemble the bed. The only part that is already assembled is the bed sub frame. I did try having the panels attached once and it was back breaking work getting it into the house with 2 people.
I also use the adjustable deluxe hardware and find that at its price point it offers the best value. I've often thought of using the Selby's hardware kit but find it too expensive.
Its interesting that after about 50 beds I have had only 2 clients that disliked the idea of seeing the pistons, that they insisted on a hidden spring system.

9/25/19       #25: Murphy bed ...
duster

Mark - I've always done the tension adjustments with the bed all the way down. I'm not sure why you'd have to hold the bed up to do it. You do have to slide the mattress down about 2 feet to reach the access holes I use, but you don't have to completely remove the mattress.

9/25/19       #26: Murphy bed ...
Pat Gilbert

Richard

Is this the hardware you use?

If so what do you do differently to install the bed by yourself?

Do you have any call backs on the gas piston?

Thanks for the input

CAB bed install

9/25/19       #27: Murphy bed ...
Richard

Pat,

This is the hardware I use :https://www.createabed.com/product-page/adjustable-deluxe-mechanism

If you call them direct you can get discounts on multiple orders.
I use lamello Clamex P for all my joints and also include a 3/4" bottom component similar to the header which strengthens the box quite a bit.
My install is quite similar to the video with some key differences.
I keep the face pieces separate, much easier to carry and just butt them together with no pocket screws.
I assemble the bed in a similar fashion to the video but keep it around 20" from the wall that its going on. I also cut out the base board on the wall rather than notch the uprights.
I don't attach the legs or 1/4" ply for the mattress at this point as he did in the video.
Once the bed frame and cabinet is built around it I attach the bottom of the pistons to the bed frame at this point and then lift the cabinet vertically so it ends up a couple of inches from the wall.
I now lift the bed frame vertical and allow it to go into the cabinet a few inches as shown in the video.
At this point with a hand on the bed face to steady it, I use my other hand to pull the cabinet out from the wall just enough to get my arm around the back.
Since the pistons are already attached at the bottom they are easy to reach for and attach to the upper anchor point. Pushing the bed face in or out at this stage will get the pistons so they click in easily.
The other side is the same but a little easier since you are not supporting the bed face as much.
I push the whole unit against the wall, square everything up and screw to the wall.
At this point the bed face is still leaning into the cabinet a few inches. I make sure I have all the remaining parts and tools within reach.
I mark and drill for the handles. I use one of those handle holes to put a temporary long screw into which I can use to pull down the bed face. Holding the face at a angle I'm able to put the legs on and screw on the handles.
I lower the bed face all the way and having my tool boxes close by I put them on top to act as a counter weight giving me time to attach the bed stops on the vertical pieces and apply the 2 1/4" ply pieces for the mattress.

As I mentioned earlier, the whole assemble takes just over a hour and at 55 years old I'm no longer interested in being the fastest!
I have never had a call back for the pistons or any of the hardware.
I have moved some of my early Murphy beds for clients when they move house and the beds look and work exactly as the day I originally installed them.

9/25/19       #28: Murphy bed ...
Pat Gilbert

Thanks Richard that was helpful

9/25/19       #29: Murphy bed ...
Mark V.

duster,

In Selby's instructions, they say in bold red type (including misspelling),

"Do not attemp to adjust the tension with the door panel in the full open position!"

They also mention it elsewhere on their website and this has been a major negative for me.

Mark

9/25/19       #30: Murphy bed ...
Mark V.

Richard,

I will echo Pat...

Extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing your methods.

Mark

6/4/21       #31: Murphy bed ...
Anna Member

Check out this company. They have high quality products.

https://cabinetbeds.com

10/27/21       #32: Murphy bed ...
matt caldwell Member

Used to own a murphy bed for around 20 years. They are a great way to save space, however, once we moved I decided to invest in a cabinet murphy bed. They can run fairly expensive but are worth the extra money in my opinion.

Cabinet Beds

10/28/21       #33: Murphy bed ...
Bruce H

Mark V, the Create a Bed hardware as Richard showed is not the hardware I disliked. His must be a newer version and it looks much better than what I used. Next time I do a bed I'll look into it.

Paul Miller listed what he though costs were and I agree. They just can't built on the cheap. You'd think something so simple might be done for fifteen hundred or so.

11/15/21       #34: Murphy bed ...
krist Member

I also did one few years ago. Used "Murphy Bed Company" hardware. Beleive me, it worked well and instructions were point on. Plans available from them.

6/14/22       #35: Murphy bed ...
Emily

My husband and I are in the process of moving. We are looking to build our own murphy bed with storage drawers. It will be used as a guest bed but will leave us enough space for a little office when the bed is not in use. Does anyone have any recommendations for a murphy bed kit that also includes storage drawers?

12/15/22       #36: Murphy bed ...
Kingswood

Love murphy beds. There are also other solutions you can look at that allow you to maximize your space. This site has some great options. https://bedfolds.com/products/brussels-ash-creden-zzz-cabinet-bed

https://bedfolds.com/products/

2/26/23       #38: Murphy bed ...
Matthew Caldwell

Website: https://murphybedsupply.com/product-category/pembe...

The cabinet murphy beds are certainly interesting but I just love the look of the Pemberly Row murphy bed

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • Cab Parts
      Pre-manufactured Components for Easy-to-Assemble Cabinet Boxes
    • Parts Cutter CNC
      CNC Cabinetry and Closet Parts
    • WalzCraft
      Custom Doors and Wood Products
    • American Vision Cabinets
      Leading provider of Custom CNC cabinet parts and components and Edge banding services
    • MARTIN Woodworking Machines Corp.
      Quality Woodworking Machinery Engineered and Manufactured in Germany
    • Supergrit Abrasives
      Industrial Quality Abrasives Manufactured by Leading US and Foreign Companies
    • TradeJobPlacement.com
      Individualized Placement Services, Specializing in Millwork Design Engineers
    • WOODWEB, Inc.
      The Information Resource for the Woodworking Industries
    • Shop Gear Inc.
      Distributor of Co-matic Power Feeders, Le-matic Portable Edgebanders, and Supplier of Woodworking Machinery, Tooling and Accessories in North America
    • KCD Software
      Powerful 3D Cabinet/Closet Design Software with Built-In Touchscreen Mode for Mobile Use with Best Production Practices Including Direct to Cut List, Cabinotch and/or CNC Machining
    • American National Knife
      Manufacturer of HSS and Carbide Tipped Woodworking Knife Sets for Planers, Jointers, Molders, Shapers
    • Sandman Products
      Affordable Sanding Tables and Inspection Lighting
    • Wood Doctor's Rx, LLC
      Wood Processing Seminars, Kiln Operators Seminar & Training, and Advanced Drying Evaluation & Training

Become a Sponsor today!