Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

LAGUNA PLANER PROBLEMS

7/20/21       
RODNEY BLACKERBY Member

We purchased a laguna px 16 planer in June from a local supplier, all we are using it for is running face frame on edge after they are ripped on tablesaw, Planer has rattle in it from day one have have called Laguna they open a case and start emailing me to try this try that wood chip must be lodged in the cutter... no cutter inserts are loose... no okay i get it i know somtime it just somthing simple and you should always cover all base's, I ask them to send a tech out and to see if he can diagnose the problem. no they can't do that... so i hire a local tech to come out at 100 buck's an hour he say's the noise is in the gear box and it's full of oil i email back Luguna they want another video, oh yea i forgot to mention this is probably the 4th video i have sent. now they are saying someone shifted the speed controll while the machine was not running, and the gearbox needs to be dissambled nad the gear be re-alighned to correct the problem... personal i dont think it should my responsibility ,they will not talk to you on the phone all they want to do is hide behind the computer and send email after email unitl you finally give up and go away. I thought this was repitable company. Anyone else had bad experience dealing with this company?

7/20/21       #2: LAGUNA PLANER PROBLEMS ...
Matt Calnen

Should have bought a Grizzly!

7/20/21       #3: LAGUNA PLANER PROBLEMS ...
Mark B

Unfortunately pretty much any machine in that class, green included, can either hit the ground running or hit the ground and uncompensated mechanical work, part-swap, will be involved. In my experience this can extend right up into the "big boys".

When your buying in the laguna/green class your just in for what your in for. Shoddy crating/shipping that leads to landed damage. Price-pioint machinery that leads to low quality (green is the king of low quality). And either a non existent customer service experience or conversely one that just willingly ships you parts upon parts upon parts (green) that you have to take time out, machine down time, to swap.

We had a painful experience with Laguna a long while back but after a long (but pleasant) back and forth, they made it as right as they could and shipped a complete machine replacement AND an additional machine (free) for our troubles (which I made sure to pounce on the instant it was mentioned). We in no way came out ahead with fiddling/fussing/downtime/headache.. but they (Laguna) on_their_own made it right.

While I'd love to blame this on buying cheap and you get what you pay for... I personally know a shop that bought an extreme top of the line Biesse 180K bander that sat on the floor crippling the shop, not making parts, for weeks going on months and the shop finally had to bring in a non-biesse tech to get them making parts so it happens on even the highest of levels.

Expecting field tech's at this price point is just not going to happen. You'll be swapping out shipped parts on your own dime.

The comparison of Laguna to green is like comparing two bananas in the same bunch at the grocery store. It just is what it is.

7/20/21       #4: LAGUNA PLANER PROBLEMS ...
RODNEY BLACKERBY Member

Well Mark you are probably rite it is what is , I do try to do my homework before i make a purchase just didn't this time. but i will be sure and setup a good youtube video just for them if they dont make it rite ... maybe it will save the next guy some grief.

7/20/21       #5: LAGUNA PLANER PROBLEMS ...
Mark B

I have no idea what Laguna today is like compared to my experience (5+ years ago). It was a mess to say the least but in the end (long end) I at least didnt get full shafted and the replacement machine, and the free-bee for my troubles, are still running. Definitely not happy to have fought it out for as long as we did but in hind sight it was what it was.

Im not defending Laguna but just be careful going off on a flame war if you still have a potential for resolution. If no resolution is in sight.. load up the backpack, and flame away I guess.

7/21/21       #6: LAGUNA PLANER PROBLEMS ...
rich c.

What machinery company in that class has tech people in the field? I don't know of any. You've never had to work on a machine before? When you buy for price from an internet only supplier, you didn't realize you would have to work on the machine yourself? You only have to buy one machine before you figure that out. Everyone else in the world knows that, why not you? "Should have bought a Grizzly"? That's hilarious! They sent me about half the parts I needed on a bandsaw. It took weeks to get all the parts I needed and then I discovered the top wheel was just as far out of balance as the bottom wheel. They agreed to take it back. Now if you run that planer for months and you didn't fight for a fix on day 1, I can see their reluctance.

7/23/21       #7: LAGUNA PLANER PROBLEMS ...
Adam

Laguna has had a bad customer service reputation for decades. They are now a huge company that exports overseas.

Looking at their gear it’s similar to the most expensive Grizzly stuff. Grizzly actually has a decent rep. Many machines worked hard in the last 3 decades.

I had some Wilke gear back in the 2000’s that was good quality and excellent service. All of there machines were made in Taiwan. All of the Powermatic and Delta gear was made in Taiwan.

Now everything is made in China. Different paint jobs, nicer knobs, a bit more Powermatic looking. However, the true quality is hit and miss. The bearings , gear boxes, and dovetail ways maybe garbage.

So you’ve got a nice looking car with a bad engine out of the box. No service.

We have all been doing this unless you mortgage your house to buy German, Italian machines.

7/24/21       #8: LAGUNA PLANER PROBLEMS ...
Scott

Lacuna, Grizzley and a couple dozen more brands that you see advertised in the pages of some of the woodworking magazines are all made off shore, like mentioned, even in the same factories with just a different color.
Depending on your use, a lot of this equipment will work fine. If you plan to use the equipment a lot I would steer clear of most of it. If it is a gear box issue I would hope that the manufacturer would stand by their product.
As mentioned the better equipment is more money and also most of the better equipment is three phase which is a problem for a lot of people.
If you do have access to three phase or a converter my advice would be to look for a used SCM planer, they are excellent quality and quite often can be picked up used for a decent price.
I hope Laguna comes through for you.

7/28/21       #9: LAGUNA PLANER PROBLEMS ...
David R Sochar Member

You can buy Italian and German without mortgaging the house if you buy used.

Yes, you will need to go thru it and see what needs repair or replacement. Plan on it - like buying a used car. Overhauling a new to you used machine is a great way to get to know it.

11/5/21       #10: LAGUNA PLANER PROBLEMS ...
Mark Anderson Member

Oh....Really its too hurting....

Yes, this is a problem with your gear box but I can suggest you a better option if you are planning to replaced it with new one. Really, Helical gear box are amazing due to its performance and efficiency.

Here are some characteristics-
Optimised size/performance ratio
Highly efficient and low-maintenance
Designed for permanent operation under rough conditions
Housing produced from high quality grey cast iron with rugged walls
High axial and radial forces on the output shaft are permitted
Extremely torsion-resistant
Hardened helical gears produced from high quality steel with precision ground tooth profiles
Diverse attachment options

Thank you!

View larger image

Helical Gear Box

10/16/22       #11: LAGUNA PLANER PROBLEMS ...
Sean Kovacs  Member

Thats what happens with price point machinery, you get what you pay for sadly.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • Vexor Custom Woodworking Tools, Inc.
      Custom and Standard Router Bits, Shaper Cutters, Profile Knives, Multi Profile Insert Tooling and More
    • Air Handling Systems
      Your Best Source for Dust and Fume Collection
    • KCD Software
      Powerful 3D Cabinet/Closet Design Software with Built-In Touchscreen Mode for Mobile Use with Best Production Practices Including Direct to Cut List, Cabinotch and/or CNC Machining
    • Denray Machine
      Quality Dust Filtration Systems Provided by an Industry Leader in Wood, Metal, and Many Other Dust Control Applications
    • TotalFinishingSUPPLIES.com
      Solutions and supplies from spray tips to spray booths for all your woodworking needs
    • MachineryMax
      New and Used Machinery for the Professional Woodworker
    • Simantech
      New & Used Machinery, Supplies, Tooling, Parts, and Abrasive Products
    • Industrial CNC
      Affordable, Easy, Industrial Grade CNC Routers for Woodworking and Cabinetmaking - Free Lifetime Support
    • Excel Dowel and Wood Products Inc.
      Plain and Pre-glued Dowel Pins, and Wood Parts - Servicing Small Hobby Shops to Large OEM's
    • Western Dovetail
      Custom Made Dovetail Drawers
    • Felder USA
      High Quality Woodworking Machines and Tools
    • Holz-Her US Inc.
      Custom Edgebanders, Vertical Panel Saws, CNC Beam Saws, Wide Belt Sanders, CNC Point to Point Boring Machines, CNC Routers
    • Scarlett Machinery Inc.
      New and Used CNC Routers and Used Woodworking Machinery, for Operations Ranging From Small Woodworking Shops to Large Progressive Manufacturing Plants

Become a Sponsor today!