Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Hinges for older cabinets

3/3/23       
Micah Member

Been trying to find European inside hinges that would work for a framed cabinet. None of the blum style will seem to work with this type of door (see images). Anyone know a hidden style hinge that would work with these type of doors?

View higher quality, full size image (2016 X 1512)

View higher quality, full size image (2016 X 1512)

3/3/23       #2: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Peter Rawlings

That's known as a 3/8" lip or 3/8" inset door. Tough to find concealed hinges which I assume is what you're after. I've used these successfully.

https://hardwarehut.com/products/190850/salice-110degree-universa
l-super-hinge-each-3-8-lipped-door-and-special-applications-self-closing-screwon

https://hardwarehut.com/products/305170/thh-3-8-inset-knife-pivot-hinge-pair-s
atin-nickel

https://hardwarehut.com/products/190850/salice-110degree-universal-super-hinge-each-3-8-lipped-door-and-special-applications-self-closing-screwon

3/3/23       #4: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Micah Member

Wow! This is great. Thanks for these suggestions. I did not even know what the name of the cabinet type was till now.

I will def order some of these and try them on out.

We went to rockler with one of my cabinets and talked to them and they basically said they didn’t think it would be work with these doors- so I am very thankful for these ideas

3/3/23       #5: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Leo G Member

The blum 170º hinges will work for that. And I think the newer 155º hinges will work also.

3/3/23       #6: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Jim Herron Member

Salice has one specific to this application...$$$
Also Youngdale knife hinges may still be around

3/4/23       #7: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Dennis Bean  Member

Hey Micah,
The guys suggestions in the previous comments are correct. The Salice Universal hinge is the best choice for lip doors.
There are some details to consider before jumping in.
First, you need to determine how you plan to attach the hinge to the cabinet frame.
There are two options:
First, you can install a wood block behind the frame. This gives you a place to attach the hinge mounting plate. See diagram below.
The second method is to use the Rockler metal adaptor. This attaches behind the frame an provides a place to attach the hinge mounting plate. See Rockler for the details.
The next consideration is locating the position of the hinge cup bore in the door. This is very important. If, for example, the lip of the door is 3/8 x 3/8 then the hinge cup bore must be precisely 14mm from the edge of the door. Again, please see the diagram.
Attached is a link to the Salice web site for additional details and a video.

Note: The mounting plate part number has a typo. It should be BAR3R69

Best of luck,
Dennis Bean
Salice America

View higher quality, full size image (761 X 330)

Salice Universal Hinge For Lip Doors

3/5/23       #8: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Micah Member

Thanks again for all these suggestions! I think I have a plan now.

Dennis- can you confirm that this is the correct mounting plate? I would like to avoid having to add a block of wood if possible and just use the mounting plate.

https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/base-plates-clip-on-hinge-mounting-pla
tes-two-cam-height-depth-adjustment-open-hole-wood-screw-attachment-plate-height-
6mm-10242129.html

3/5/23       #9: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Dennis Bean  Member

Micah,

There are 2 plates at this link. BAR3R99 (9mmm thick) and BAR3R69.
The BAR3R69 (6mm thick) is the correct plate. With this a wood block would need to be used as a place to attach the mounting pate (See drawing above)
Unfortunately, there is no possible way to accomplish this unless a wood block or the Rockler metal adaptor plate is used.
Another option would be to use our 165 degree hinge but this also needs to have a wood block.
Regards,
Dennis Bean
Salice America

3/5/23       #10: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Micah Member

I did a google search for "Rockler metal plate adaptor" but am not finding anything related...

You don't happen to have a link to this product do you?

I have already ordered two of the Salice universal hinges to test on a door.

Thanks again for your help!

3/6/23       #11: Hinges for older cabinets ...
gary

Are you sure it's a 3/8" inset door? It may be full overlay with a finger pull profile on all edges.

3/6/23       #12: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Dennis Bean  Member

Micah,

From what I understand, Rockler only offers this metal adapter as part of a kit. Their kit includes 2 Universal hinges, 2 6mm mounting plates, 2 metal adapters and probably some screws an instructions. They will not sell this adapter as a separate item. This adapter is not a Salice item. It is something Rockler has made somewhere exclusively for them.

3/6/23       #13: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Dennis Bean  Member

Good point, Gary. I hadn’t considered that. If that is the case we would still need a hinge that can be bored in past the finger pull.

Micah, please provide the actual measurement of this edge detail ( from the outside edge to where the fukk thickness of the wood begins. If Gary is correct, there will be a much simpler solution..

3/6/23       #14: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Josh Koschak

Gary,

Good observation about the finger pull. But if I were to guess, there would not be a know hole in the door as well if that were the case.

3/6/23       #15: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Dennis Bean  Member

Measure here

View higher quality, full size image (1508 X 1592)

3/6/23       #16: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Micah Member

Picture measurement attached.

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

3/6/23       #17: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Peter Rawlings Member

Oh Micah, looking at your latest photo I fear I got it wrong. Gary rightly pointed out this is a finger pull rather than a lip door.
I suspect these are full overlay doors. Does the entire thickness of the door sit on top of face frame?
If you measure the opening against the actual door size that will give you the overlay. If door is 15" and opening is 14" that's 1/2" overlay. This will give several more options including face frame mount brackets.

3/6/23       #18: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Micah Member

Does that mean I cant use the concealed hinges? I have been aiming to not have to put the hinges on the frame.

View higher quality, full size image (3968 X 2232)

https://www.salice.com/media/Catalog/hinges/universal-hinges/Salice_UNIVERSAL-HINGES_usa-cdn.pdf

3/6/23       #20: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Peter Rawlings Member

Not sure why some of my post disappeared. Photos are of Blum hinge, but Salice has similar.

https://www.salice.com/us/en/products/hinges/face-frame-mounting-plates

3/6/23       #21: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Micah Member

I just measured one door vs the opening of the frame.

The door width is 17 3/8"

The frame opening is 16"

So I suppose a 1 3/8 overlay?

3/6/23       #22: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Peter Rawlings Member

Actually half of the difference is your overlay. 11/16"

3/6/23       #23: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Dennis Bean  Member

Here is what you need to use if you choose to use the Salice Universal hinge.

Hinge: CBP2AE9 - Soft Close

CBP2AC9 - Self close

Mounting plate: BAU3R19

View higher quality, full size image (694 X 676)

3/6/23       #24: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Dennis Bean  Member

Good point, Gary. I hadn’t considered that. If that is the case we would still need a hinge that can be bored in past the finger pull.

Micah, please provide the actual measurement of this edge detail ( from the outside edge to where the fukk thickness of the wood begins. If Gary is correct, there will be a much simpler solution..

3/6/23       #25: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Micah Member

Dennis,

Did this image show the measurement you need?

I’m not sure if these posts are going in chronological order.

Are you saying that the saline universal hinge will not work if it is as Gary suggested and a finger pull?

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

3/7/23       #26: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Dennis Bean  Member

Hey Micah,

The Universal hinge will work as long as your overlay is no more than 11/16" and you use this drilling position and mounting plate. If the overlay is greater than 3/4" then you will need to go to another hinge, (F Series)

View higher quality, full size image (1607 X 407)

3/8/23       #27: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Dennis Bean  Member

Correction:

View higher quality, full size image (524 X 314)

3/8/23       #28: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Micah Member

Thanks Dennis.

I have the two of the Salice Universal hinges on the way- as well as the mounting plate you recommended.

Once I receive them I can do some tests but may have some questions.

Thanks!
Micah

3/8/23       #29: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Dennis Bean  Member

Any time. Glad I could help.

3/9/23       #30: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Faij Mahar Member

Hinges for older cabinets can be a bit tricky to find, but there are a few options you can explore. If you're looking to replace the hinges entirely, you can try searching for vintage or antique hinges online or in specialty hardware stores. Another option is to take your existing hinges to a hardware store and see if they have any compatible replacement options. If you're unable to find an exact match, you may need to consider retrofitting your cabinets with modern hinges. Whatever route you choose, make sure to measure carefully and consider any modifications that may need to be made to ensure a proper fit.

3/10/23       #31: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Micah Member

Hi Dennis and others,

I know I am going to be showing my lack of experience in this area...

But now that I have received the hinges and mounting plates. I was trying to do some tests and based on my cabinet frames.... I am honestly confused about where the mounting plate for this is supposed to go.

If its in side the frame on the wall than it won't clear the frame itself when open from what I can tell.

The only way I can see this workin if it actually went on the frame but having never used these before... that doesn't seem right....

Please check out my pics and if someone could offer some guidance that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Micah

View higher quality, full size image (3024 X 4032)

3/10/23       #32: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Dennis Bean  Member

It attaches just like your last photo or like you show the Blum plate a few posts back.

3/10/23       #33: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Dennis Bean  Member

Just like this for overlay doors

View higher quality, full size image (926 X 1080)

3/13/23       #34: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Dennis Bean  Member

Hello Micah,

I wanted to confirm your application and the solution correct. Depending on your frame width, there will likely be a certain amount of space between 2 doors. The good news is that only 1mm between 2 doors is all that is needed to be able to open a 3/4" thick door door without it hitting the door next to it. (Note: Finger pull not included in this drawing...it's not important for this illustration}

I hope this helps.,

Dennis

View higher quality, full size image (674 X 970)

3/13/23       #35: Hinges for older cabinets ...
Micah Member

Thanks again Dennis.

A couple of quick questions.

Do you have a recommendation for the bit to bore the hole in the cabinet for these hinges?

I have a few doors that I am not going to use so I can do some test thankfully. I suppose I will just pick a number between 3mm-18mm as a starting point and see how things come out. Not really sure how to approach it without just doing tests to see how it overlays.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • Cab Parts
      Pre-manufactured Components for Easy-to-Assemble Cabinet Boxes
    • Limtech Industries, Inc.
      CNC Routers, Machinery for Woodworking, Plastic and Other Non-ferrous Metal Machining Applications
    • Felder USA
      High Quality Woodworking Machines and Tools
    • J&P Machines
      Design and Production of Custom Equipment for the Manufacturing Industry
    • Template Services
      Professional Moulding Design and Template Making Service
    • Better Vacuum Cups, Inc.
      Vacuum Cups for All CNC Routers As Well As Many After Market Parts for Your CNC
    • NEMI
      Products For CNC Machines - Digitizers, Tool Setters, Vacuum Pods, Vacuum Cups, Vacuum Tables, Vacuum Chucks and Software
    • Anver Corporation
      Vacuum System Components - Suction Cups, Vacuum Pumps, Vacuum Lifters & Lifting Systems, and More
    • Laguna Tools
      CNC Routers, CNC Lasers, Bandsaws, Woodworking Machines
    • Rangate
      Woodworking Machinery, Supplies and Knowledge
    • Western Dovetail
      Custom Made Dovetail Drawers
    • Machine Bid
      Online auction site for buying and selling high-quality machinery. We offer a secure, online bidding platform, featuring CNC routers, Edgebanders, Sanders, and much more; new equipment added daily
    • Cabinetshop Maestro
      Web-Based Project Management Software for Custom Cabinet Shops - Manage Jobs from Prospect to Punchlist Through Scheduling, Task Management, Time Tracking and Communication

Become a Sponsor today!