CNC

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Carbide vs diamond for melamine

2/2/19       
Derrek

We cut exclusively 3/4” melamine on our Biesse Rover S. We run anywhere from 100 to 150 sheets a week. A new bit gets about 50 sheets done befor a change and we sharpen 2 times before discarding and lose about 8-10 sheets in tool lifeless sharpening. This gives me a tool cost of about .90 cents a sheet.
Is anyone cutting lots of melamine with a diamond tool? If so what has your experience been with it? How does tool life compare to carbide? How is the finish compared to carbide? Do you run same rpm and feed speeds? How many tools have you ruined and why?

2/2/19       #2: Carbide vs diamond for melamine ...
cabinetmaker

We are running roughly 80 sheets per bit per each machine. That’s melamine and laminated panels

We used to use diamond on our rail and pod and the cost ratio was crazy. That lasted about 3 months

Currently, we are running roseburg from Missoula Montana and get a good yield. Uniboard and Funder not so many sheets.

We have been running resharpening bits for a year straight currently and have about 2 more years left maybe three with as many bits as we have

Once we went to a ball bearing tool holder, torque wrench with a specific set setting in the 3/8 cutters the life went up substantially.

We return onion skin all sheets, reducing the wear points on the carbide, and by speeding up our travel cutting speed, thereby reducing the heat on the cutter, but also much more holding power until the release cut.

The bits were originally 60+/- the resharp at ~23 each yielding still cheaper than diamond coat. One more sharp and we will be 100 each +/-

Both machines cut corian, 1/4” mdf, plywood etc, and daily maint we believe has also contributed to a better tool life.

One thing we have done is to send them to Vortex. Not all sharpening services are the same, as I threatened to sue a facility in Indiana for ruining over 10k in saw blades over a year, then I woke up.

2/3/19       #3: Carbide vs diamond for melamine ...
Scott

I have been using carbide bits for melamine, I have never had any sharpened, I didn’t realize you could send them to Vortex for sharpening.
I wouldn’t trust anyone around here to sharpen them. I have never used the diamond ones, but a bigger shop I know did and also switched back to carbide as they thought it was cheaper.

I was wondering how it is possible for a shop to ruin that many saw blades. $10000 is a LOT of saw blades. I can get a saw blade back from sharpening and make a few cuts and know if the job was any good.

2/3/19       #4: Carbide vs diamond for melamine ...
cabinetmaker

We were to the point of buying a blade per job because we were just that busy. Then we decided to have those stacks sharpened and what do you know, surely not us, we have been sharpening blades for years. Check your bearings and arbor runout.

So after bearing and new arbor on an scmi and casadei sliders, hmn, a new blade worked fine. Hmn.

Long story short that same shop took a brand new FS Tool 14 blade to nothing. Yes. Nothing. I got the blade back and went ballistic.

I took every blade from scoring to 18” jump saw and looked at them Every single blade was screwed up. No idea how the foreman missed so many.

I gave them one chance to take all the blades back. 87 blades total.

They sharpened what they could but wrote me a fat check for what was not able to be salvaged.

Lucky for them we had just gone to a flat table cnc

2/3/19       #5: Carbide vs diamond for melamine ...
Chris

If your only getting 80 sheets on a bit, you much be getting a really cheap/crappy bit. I have customers getting 350 sheets doing closets and using 5x8 sheets of melamine using a coated 3/8 leuco bit.

2/3/19       #6: Carbide vs diamond for melamine ...
Jeff

Cabinetmaker,
Sorry to hear that, as soon as you get employees who don’t do their job you usually end up paying for it.
Years a go an old guy told me to lay a new blade on a piece of construction paper and trace a section of the teeth with a fine pen or pencil. He said after you get a blade back from getting sharpened you can lay it on the tracing and see how much is being taken off, see if the angle is being matched, etc. It is a simple, quick way of checking, now days there are more accurate ways of checking blades if it is a big concern.
Usually the shops that do a poor job get known in the industry anyways.

2/4/19       #7: Carbide vs diamond for melamine ...
Matt

You can get better than 80 sheets per bit with carbide. I have seen melamine manufacturer have a HUGE impact on sheet count. I won't name names, but I have noticed that a few brands will give me maybe 50 sheets before a very high quality carbide bit is ruined, another brand will give me 300+ (4X8 sheets, mostly melamine, maybe 1/4 of that is 3/4 plywood)

Most (if not all) of the diamond options require you to run much slower feed speeds, which is going to slow down your router more than you'd like. At least, all the vendors I've inquired at have told me such.

2/13/19       #8: Carbide vs diamond for melamine ...
cabinetmaker

Chris

What brand, what speed per minute and what model #. Where did you buy it ?

Jeff. Ya. I felt that way for a while. Now I have 22 guys and I am up their asssssssss with the trust but verify attitude.

Foreman got fired for not coming in on a required Saturday during the recession.

2/22/19       #9: Carbide vs diamond for melamine ...
Larry

Chris, 350 sheets on a coated (Marathon?) Leuco. I'll bet the edges look like they were chain sawn. We typically get 80 +- sheets, same bit but nice quality cut. I know a shop that says he gets 200 sheets on the cheapest bits he can buy. All he needs to do is put on a lot thicker glue when he bands to fill up the tear out. Simple fix.

4/2/19       #10: Carbide vs diamond for melamine ...
Dan

To me this comes down to feed rates. Last I checked diamond is still not close to carbide in feed rates, which means if I am running a full shift at the end of the day I will have fewer sheets processed if I use diamond. Even with a few additional tool changes my thru put would be much better with carbide vs diamond.

5/12/19       #11: Carbide vs diamond for melamine ...
Jason Scott

I run the Biesse skill that’s the precursor to the rover s

I run a 3 flute 3/8” compression bit I get from cnc-tool.com for about $54 each.

I shoot for about .020” chipload and 18,000rpm. This translates into about 1160ipm or 28-29 meters a minute.
I get good quality cuts on around 150-200 sheets of melamine from panolam.

I don’t know what software you are using but if you can use the 3D corrected curve lead in your bit life will improve a bit because the machine makes smooth transitions that reduce stoping and starting with your bit.

With a coated onsrude bit 3 flute we get around 300 sheets of melamine before it starts chipping.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Suction Cups, Vacuum Lifters, Vacuum Pumps from Anver Corporation ecabinet systems.com Thermwood Limtech Industries, Inc.