CNC

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

vacuum leakage

9/7/22       
MICHAEL COLLINS Member

i just bought a 40 hp dekker oil ring with vfd to use on my 5x13 multicam cnc router. the problem i have been trying to resolve for 3 days is.
i can close all valves on system & get 28.5hg so i now know vac is working.
i removed spoilboard & plugged all vac holes with rubber stoppers & get 28.5hg so that tells me i dont have a plumbing issue.

i am using 1.5" ldf with edges sealed & faced on both sides. with my old 20hp roots blower pump i could get 14-15hg. with the 40hp dekker all i can get is 16hg.

i have a slotted table that is .180 deep & .500 wide. i am using .250 x .500 wide gasket from all star cnc. i have tried medium & soft but no luck yet.
i have removed all gasketing & cleaned very well & installed all new gasket. still cant get good vacuum.

does anyone have any advice for me to try?

9/8/22       #2: vacuum leakage ...
Jim Anderson

Try using MDF in place of LDF. LDF allows more air flow.

9/8/22       #3: vacuum leakage ...
Mike

Agree with Jim. I have tried LDF and I don't care for it. The thinner it gets from milling, the more vacuum loss there is. I get much better holding ability with just shop grade MDF at 3/4" thick. I usually replace when the board gets between 0.480 and 0.50" thick. That gives me around 25 table mills before I have to replace.

9/8/22       #5: vacuum leakage ...
MICHAEL COLLINS Member

thanks for the advice . i will give that a try.

the main issue i am having is when i put material on top of the spoilboard the loss i am getting is between the spolboard gasket & the table top , not really losing thru edges.

seems i have overbought on my 40hp vac to me

thx
mike

9/8/22       #6: vacuum leakage ...
Mike

Seems to me, a 40 hp Dekker is a big step up from a smaller blower. How do you know the loss is between the gasket and the LDF? If that was the case, losing so much vacuum, I imagine you would hear it. If I recall, you said you replaced the gasket. Something isn't adding up. If you try the MDF, let us know the results on your machine.

9/8/22       #7: vacuum leakage ...
MICHAEL COLLINS Member

mike
i took smoke & ran along the edge. just cant tell if leaking between the bed & gasket or gasket & spoil board. but to me it just doesn't seem like its that much air loss. i have also noticed that air is coming from between the spoil board & the sheet of 1" acetal. the edges are really sealed good at this point.
when i 1st started trying to figure this mess out i was like u. i would have thought losing this much air would be really loud. but i have to turn off any fan blowing to be able to hear any air leakage.

9/9/22       #8: vacuum leakage ...
Mike

I'm assuming the table gasket between the LDF and the table is 8mm or 5/16" cord gasket and in good shape. The only thing you haven't been able to try is standard MDF that has been face milled both sides. I also have a 40h.p. liquid ring pump. Tavaini, but those are similar to Dekker and I have very good holding power with both of mine. My configuration is Aluminum table with Aluminum grid top attached. Resting on that is my 0.5"-.75" MDF spoilboard.

9/9/22       #9: vacuum leakage ...
mike

i have been working on this for a week now with little success.

dekker has not been much help other than saying we will get someone to call you. & still have not heard from them.

i have not tried the mdf but have ordered a 1 x 48 x120 sheet of mdf since majority of my plastic is 4x10 & it will be here next tuesday. only getting the 1' because that is what they had. if that is bad pls let me know & i will mill down to .750. other than that i will mill both sides as usual before trying to use it..
i have tried nylon screws to help seal but no better
i have even tried putting 1" pc of plastic on top of spoil board& running vac , then adding hot hot glue to edges to help seal it down.
my grooves are .500 wide x .187 deep for .250 x .500 rectangle gasket.

9/9/22       #10: vacuum leakage ...
Dropout Member

Once we drilled and tapped the table and started bolting down the spoilboard with nylon screws all our vacuum issues went away....

I think the real problem is that the spoilboard doesn't machine flat. Bolting down the spoilboard solves that issue.

9/9/22       #11: vacuum leakage ...
Mike

1" seems like a pretty thick slab to pull vacuum thru, but give it a try. You can always mill it down later. I screw the boards down in the corners. Helps keep it from curling since we keep milling the same face.

9/9/22       #12: vacuum leakage ...
Dropout Member

We found that the corners are not enough. We have over 20 screws in a 5X10 table.

I've been told thicker is better - it acts like a chamber. I've never used thicker than 1" but I know from experience that thinner is bad.

You don;t mention what size table and what size material you are cutting. 4X8 on a 5X10 table will be harder no matter how much vacuum you have. One of our 5X10 machines is gasketed for a 4X8 spoilboard cause all we run is plywood.

9/9/22       #13: vacuum leakage ...
Dropout Member

Oops - see you did mention 5X13 table - 65 square feet. 4X8 ply is 32 square feet, less than 1/2 that. Even 5X10 at 50 square feet leaves 23% of the table uncovered.

It's likely an airflow issue - try covering up any empty space on the table and see what happens.

9/9/22       #14: vacuum leakage ...
Jon Member

We surface both sides of a 5x10 x 3/4" regular MDF and screw the corners to the phenolic table. On top of that I surface both sides of a 4x8 sheet of 5/8 MDF. I use the same 5/8 MDF as we use for door panels, so it is usually dual refined Plum Creek (Weyerhaeuser now).

We only cut 4x8 material so this works really well for us. I cover the unused part of the 5 x 10 with plastic laminate sheets.

This way I am only replacing the 4x8. It usually gets replaced when it is 3/8 to 1/4" thick.

We have a 15hp oil flooded Busch vane pump.

I would guess you have too much air flow thru the LDF and uncovered parts of the table. Your roots blower likely moved more CFM than the oil ring pump, but will not produce as hard of a vacuum if the table is completely covered with either the material you are cutting or plastic cover sheets.

9/9/22       #15: vacuum leakage ...
MICHAEL COLLINS Member

i couldn't stand it any longer about not having the mdf sheet so i drove 120 mi round trip to get a 1 x 48 x 120 sheet. i am going to seal all edges twice with a solution i saw the other day 50/50 wood glue & water. i have decided to try the screws once again since the phenolic top is already tapped now. i have a tapped hole at approximately 22-24" apart over the 49x121 area. i'll let dry overnight & try this all over in the am. most plastic we cut is in the 49x122 sheet size so there is not much leakage until parts start cutting free.
thx mike
9/11/22       #16: vacuum leakage ...
Dylan Bayliss  Member

some additional info that may help

https://www.cnc-tool.com/technical-white-pages-cnc-part-fixturing.html#/

9/12/22       #17: vacuum leakage ...
MICHAEL COLLINS Member

thanks everyone for your opinions
i did about everything that was mentioned above

sealed edges 2 times
went to mdf
milled both sides flat
screwed mdf to table
i have been cutting parts today
& it seems much better.
where i am getting confused is
it won't hardly pull down a slightly bowed
pc of laminate i am using to cover open
area past parts i am routing.
my vacuum is really good @ 23.8 hgv
but dont understand why laminate is not pulling down.

with an open sheet of mdf on top what should the hgv
be approx.

thx
mike

9/13/22       #18: vacuum leakage ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

I don't hit nearly those numbers for vacuum. I have to look at the gauge to be certain.

4x8 table. I've got 3 pumps totaling about 11hp.

I seal the edges with plastidip. It comes in a rattle can, I hit all edges 4-5 times.

Surface both faces.

I do not screw it down. I don't see the point. If it starts to potato chip, I just grab another guy and we flip it. It usually only happens once or twice in the life of the spoilboard.
Convex, they suck down easily. Concave, not so much.

I change them out around ¼" thick. The thinner they are, the less issues I have with parts moving. I do a return skin on everything, to help with that, and to also make the dust collection more effective.

I start with a ¾" sheet, but have been considering starting with ½".

I try to penetrate the spoilboard .002" when cutting, and surfacing we take .1mm (.004").

9/13/22       #19: vacuum leakage ...
MICHAEL COLLINS Member

Dylon sent me this, (i had to copy & paste on web page to open it)

https://www.cnc-tool.com/technical-white-pages-cnc-part-fixturing.html#/ >if anyone is having issues & you have the time take a look at it.
there is alot of stuff in it that is way over my pay grade but,
i learned a lot from reading thru what i could somewhat understand.
as far as the screws, they really helped me as they pulled the gasket down around the outer edges so thickness stayed the same as middle of sheet.

a blower works great in LDF because it has a lot of air moving

a vac works best on mdf because it is using vacuum to hold parts

had no clue how they worked differently

the blower eats up a ton of a/c & spits it outside

vac has minimum air going outside since the vacuum is holding the part

as of now it really holds parts much more firm than blower & cuts are much better also. as in no vibration marks

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

10/3/22       #20: vacuum leakage ...
mike collins

i think i have been snake bit on this 1.
70 hours use & now when i start the vac up
i get this noise. can anyone maybe point me in the right
direction on what it might be? thx mike

View Video

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • Scarlett Machinery Inc.
      New and Used CNC Routers and Used Woodworking Machinery, for Operations Ranging From Small Woodworking Shops to Large Progressive Manufacturing Plants
    • American National Knife
      Manufacturer of HSS and Carbide Tipped Woodworking Knife Sets for Planers, Jointers, Molders, Shapers
    • Country Saw & Knife
      Complete Sharpening Services for Wood and Metal Saw Blades, Jointer Knives, and Bandsaw Blades
    • Industrial CNC
      Affordable, Easy, Industrial Grade CNC Routers for Woodworking and Cabinetmaking - Free Lifetime Support
    • Charles G.G. Schmidt Co.
      Tooling for Shapers, Moulders, Tenoners, Planers and Routers
    • Professional Machinery Group
      New and Used Machinery Serving the Needs of the Professional Woodworker
    • Rangate
      Woodworking Machinery, Supplies and Knowledge
    • Thermwood Corporation
      Computer Numerical Control (CNC) Routers and Accessories
    • ETK International
      New and Used Woodworking Machinery, Spare Parts and Superior Service
    • Vexor Custom Woodworking Tools, Inc.
      Custom and Standard Router Bits, Shaper Cutters, Profile Knives, Multi Profile Insert Tooling and More
    • Biesse America
      Woodworking Machinery - Machining Centers, Edge Banders, Feeders/Stackers, Panel Sizing Centers
    • Carter Products
      Band Saw Guides, Blades, Wheels, Tires, Line Lasers and 2D Projectors, Wide Belt Sanding Accessories, Vacuum Holding Systems and More
    • Colonial Saw
      North American Supplier of Striebig Panel Saws, Lamello Specialty Tools and a Wide Range of Saw and Tool Grinding Machinery

Become a Sponsor today!