Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Post a Response
The staff at WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at any WOODWEB Forum. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.
Your Name:
Your Website:
Email Address:
Subject: Re: KemVar Plus CV not hardening

(read message guidelines).
Note: Do not use the below fields to advertise your business - only for links related to the discussion.
Thread Related Link URL:
Thread Related Link Title:
  To "point" to an image (picture) from another website, provide the URL (Web Address) of the file ( include ONE reference to http:// )
Thread Related Image URL:

Date of your Birth:

Upload a Thread Related File:
File Types: Image (gif-jpg-png-bmp), PDF, Sketchup, Video (mov avi wmv mpeg mpg mp4 ogg). (Image Upload Tips)

I have read the Site User Agreement and agree with the Terms

<= Check to receive e-mail notification of responses

Message Thread:

KemVar Plus CV not hardening

8/16/18       
YHeller

Hey guys,

So this is my first job shooting SW KemVar Plus CV.

I shoot ML Campbell Clawlock II and Stealth, but this was a job for another guy and he supplied the finish for this job.

Primed with KemVar Surfacer- Good stuff, no issues. Impressed with the build. Okay Cool.

So I wasn't expecting to have any sort of issue with the color coats... except wtf. I have a finish that refuses to harden off like I am used to with stealth.

First thought... was it the right catalyst and what was the mix.

Codes match to the SDS- I have the right catalyst.

SDS states 6.2% per Part.

I mixed 8oz of catalyst on 128oz of finish (1 gal) and reduced using the R7K 310 reducer to 50% to get it to flow through my airless.

All matches to the SDS and what the "techs" at SW said when I called about this issue.

I do not have a make up air booth. It is an enclosed/filtered spray room and I am at the mercy or wrath of the humidity and temperature outside.

Yesterday Humidity was in the mid 80s, temps in the high 80s.

I shot some sample drop cuts that were primed 2 coats. So there is only a base color coat on the piece.

at 24 hours If I run a thumb nail lightly over it, I can put scratches in it as if this stuff was some benjamin moore advanced.

Wondering if anyone has any similar experiences with this product. Is it typical for this finish to take multiple days to dry between coats? Or just has a slower dry time overall?

Its finally at the point where I can handle it without feeling too much of that soft finish feel where if you push too hard it will print. So I'm sure I can scuff this and drop a final coat on it. But I'm just surprised it doesn't have the rock hard feel I am used to.

by 8 hours with Stealth, I should be able to handle the parts with no scratching or leaving prints, scuff, and spray the final coat.

Honestly, I've pushed it harder than that and light scuffed at 4 hours for the final coat. 12 hours later we were stacking and loading without issues.

Different product, I know. Just wanted to see what the guys using this for years thought might be going on. Is this finish that sensitive about the humidity? Is something off with the Catalyzing and reducing process?

8/17/18       #2: KemVar Plus CV not hardening ...
Shane

What product number for the coating and the catalyst and I will look into it for you...... I shoot hundreds of gallons a month of Kemvar.. Any cure problem we have had has been 100% user error.... Give me the numbers and I'll give my thoughts

8/17/18       #3: KemVar Plus CV not hardening ...
Kevin

I also use the SW kemvar plus.. your catalyst ratio for the color coat is correct. If its a custom blend, the blend code should start with H66. Your reduction is correct as well. (I Think)

Some people mistake 50% reduction. They mix half reducer with half product (so half gallon catalyzed product, and half gallon reducer) when its supposed to be a full gallon of catalyzed product and UP TO a half gallon of reducer.

If your catalyzing it correctly, and reducing it correctly, something else is wrong. In my area i have a local tech that would be here in 20 mins to investigate the batch and have it replaced immediately. Not to say that i have had that issue -- as shane said, every problem we've encountered ends up 100% user. Been spraying this stuff for years and we use it alot so dont lose faith in the product just yet. its good stuff.

8/17/18       #4: KemVar Plus CV not hardening ...
Kevin

Just another thought about this, the 310 solvent is great at giving u that silky smooth feel, but it does slow down the dry time significantly in my experience. We only use that reducer for higher sheen projects -- and most of our work is in the dull rubbed range. We just use good lacquer thinner to reduce our kemvar plus. Works great.

8/17/18       #5: KemVar Plus CV not hardening ...
YHeller

Product is H66 W 53

It is a custom color batch using the correct pigment codes. Can't find the lid at the moment that had that printed out on the label. Came from a SW industrial finish supplier.

Catalyst is V66 V 21

Reducer is R7K 310

I mixed the gallons really well and boxed them all together to even the color out like usual... mixed the catalyst first, slowly into moving material (I didn't just dump it all on top and stir)... It sat for roughly 10 minutes while I was explaining some build procedures to a worker... I came back and reduced it to 50%... strained it and loaded it.

I did recently do a super thorough clean out of my system before doing this job using lacquer thinner... what I'm used to and I've never had problems.

From speaking to the guys at SW they were saying there is no thinner formulated to work with this product other than the R7K 310 and that adding anything else could slow down the dry or cause failure.

I'm almost wondering now if tiny residual amounts of wash thinner is screwing this up?

Do you guys wash your equipment with the same R7K 310? Stuff is expensive to be cleaning equipment with it if that is the case.

I pump all of the wash thinner out before loading the hopper. As the finish picks up into the lines I spray out the thinner in the lines and 5 seconds worth of the actual finish before I cycle the finish back into the hopper to mix it up. That way I'm not introducing thinner to the actual material.

Then I go about spraying.

My sample is at 48 hours now and I'm still able to run my nail across it with nearly no pressure and leave a scratch.

The contractor had brought me a partial gallon of catalyst and supplied me with a new, unopened gallon. I made sure to start with the new catalyst just to be safe.

8/17/18       #6: KemVar Plus CV not hardening ...
Shane

do this.... do you have any of the uncatalyzed finish left? catalyze that and do a test sprayout...You sure your catalyst is v66v21 and not the v66v26 for the sealer? and is the catalyst clear or pee yellow... if it's starting to turn it oxidizes really bad and yellows out... you math is correct if you indeed mixed it right... do another spray out with another batch with a cup gun and post results.

8/17/18       #7: KemVar Plus CV not hardening ...
YHeller

Just re reading through your guys' responses...

The mix was absolutely 128oz (1gal), catalyzed first, then reduced 50% for flow.

When I first read about 50% I thought, theres no way in hell. But when I was pouring out the finish and seeing the viscosity I understood. The stuff is like taffy.

To kevin... Not that is damn interesting to hear.

This is the low luster 15 sheen.

You know... I asked these guys if it was acceptable to cut the mix with a good quality lacquer thinner.

I asked if they had a good quality thinner specifically SW brand that I might be able to use.

The butyl acetate I figured would prolong the dry time.

I was thinking of cutting the R7K310 to maybe 30% and thinning the other 20% with quality lacquer thinner... Testing of course required

I asked the tech line guys and they told me no no no... can't do it. Nothing other than the R7K 310 is acceptable.

I mean, shit... with the ML campbell Stealth and Resistance I reduce it using half flow enhancer and half care lacquer thinner. Never had a single issue with it in 9 years of spraying it.

8/17/18       #8: KemVar Plus CV not hardening ...
YHeller

Hey Shane,

Sure do, have 7 gallons left for this job.

Both gallons of cat show V 66 V 21.

Both are clear, but I made sure to open and use the new gallon that hadn't been opened yet.

Will mix some up later today and run another sample.

I sprayed out the original mix and shot some scrap filler material to see how it would harden if left alone.

Curious thing... On maple plywood it seems to be drying better (still not what I expect from a CV) than the sample I shot over some oak. Both primed the same way with 2 coats from the same batch. Both sitting at more than 48 hours to this point.

8/17/18       #10: KemVar Plus CV not hardening ...
nick

I once poured off a gallon of black kem-var plus out of a 5 to have a custom tint match made at my local SW paint store. when I got it back I poured off 12.5 ounces catalyzed & thinned it to make samples for a upcoming job. i had already applied 2 coats of black from the can on my sample boards so 1 coat of the custom tint was all I needed to complete the sample boards. As it was the end of the day I just left the boards on the rack in the booth, cleaned the gun and left. When checking the boards in the morning they were as tacky as if I had sprayed them no more than 15 minutes earlier. Since my first 2 coats dried fine I knew the material, catalyst and my ratios were good so I called the paint store and sure enough they mistakenly used the BAC colorants to make my match instead of 844's. Odds are this is not your problem but it's worth checking.

8/20/18       #11: KemVar Plus CV not hardening ...
Matt

We spray this stuff daily, and we have for the past 5 years. You shouldn't be having this problem.

Now, 80% humidity WILL slow it down some, we see that sort of humidity frequently, but it basically moves it from a 45 minute cure to maybe 2 hours tops, as long as temps are over 70 degrees.

Do be sure that you aren't piling it on too high. I can attest that this stuff does NOT like being piled on thick, or you get the same effect you're talking about-- soft finish, long cure time.

If you guys have been spraying Stealth (like we used to), you may have my old habit-- spray it thick as hell, because that's how Stealth seemed to behave the best.

NOT the case with KemVar+. It is very well behaved (I always fought Stealth, daily, eventually gave up on it). But spraying the KV+ too heavy will cause really long cures.

8/20/18       #12: KemVar Plus CV not hardening ...
Brian Member

There have been numerous reports that "umber colorants" will impede dry and cure of post-catalyzed finishes. Read your PDS's carefully, there's probably a disclaimer, and check your formula. If they used BAC, that'll for sure screw up the dry/cure.

8/22/18       #13: KemVar Plus CV not hardening ...
YHeller

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the info and replies.

I switched off this job as there was a delay and picked up work again on a different one.

Anyway, I'm about to get back to this. I'll post up pictures of some new batch base coat samples.

From everything I have seen and triple checked, I have not screwed up on my cat/reduction procedure.

I have been checking on the samples I had sprayed. They have finally hardened up to where I would have expected a CV to be in 8 hours, but I am are talking 4 days!! Which is... completely unacceptable.

I just shot sayerlack for a WB job that reached a safe handling hardness at 3 1/2 hours.

Still scratching my head over this one.

But if that's the way this job is going to go, then so be it. I'm just going to have to get the stuff sprayed with as much time before deliveries as possible. luckily for the schedule delay from the buildings approval committee.

I did check the mixing formula on the can lids the top coat came in. It's showing the 844 colorant.

Honestly I expected the humidity to slow it down somewhat, but I was thinking it would only be for maybe 4 hours tops.

Low humidty today, so I'm curious to see the results.

The finish on this kitchen is paint over scratched white oak (Gag). So I'm spraying it thin to keep the pours visible (they're solid white- no black, but the grain is still visible). So the coats can't be too heavy or they'll fill in too much.

I'll see in the next base coat I'm about to spray if that helps in hardening quicker.

I am used to spraying the Stealth a little heavier for that nice wet look across the entire surface. It definitely seems to perform better when sprayed like that.

I know what you mean on that.

Personally... I think this is probably a better product than the Campbell. But it's always dependable and I just don't have issues with it. I know exactly how hard I can push when things hit the fan to get a job out the door.

But if the KemVar is going to give me issues with production speed, I can't afford to use it. Maybe that's just learning curve and I'll get it dialed through this job. We'll see.

I want to test it and see how cutting the reducer mix with quality thinner changes the finish.

I was always under the impression that butyl acetate slows the dry down where thinner is flashing off fast. So maybe a 1/1 cut with R7K310 and thinner up to 50%.

The SW guys were telling me I'm going to screw it up and all that... Not sure if that's just to keep me buying only their products or if it really will ruin it.

I'll find out through sample testing rather than take their word on it. Unless any of you long time users have played around with it and found the SW guys to be right about that.

8/23/18       #14: KemVar Plus CV not hardening ...
Matt

I've used standard thinner in Kemvar+ before, the only thing it will hurt is that it probably will cause solvent pop in the summer.

If you are using the KemVar Reducer, and you've doublechecked your catalyst, then you're doing those right.

You probably need to get your SW rep to come look.

I can assure you that KemVar+ is quite capable to NORMALLY cure to a touchable, sandable dry in under an hour, and be ready to stack confidently in 8 hours (but preferably overnight cure) if temps are over 70 degrees.

Something is absolutely not going right. Either you got a bum batch of paint, a bum batch of catalyst, or a bum batch of thinner.

8/23/18       #15: KemVar Plus CV not hardening ...
YHeller

Well...

I suck with actually taking photos. Probably more out of laziness about uploading than anything.

Anyway, I think I have this working correctly now.

I made up 2 new batches of paint at this point. Catalyzed correctly and reduced to 50% using straight R7K 310.

I made sure to spray the coats thin as was recommended.

Sure enough, the finished hardened up beautifully how I would have expected.

I left them over night and started scuffing again at about 18 hours of dry. No problems, dusting up nice. Nothing like the first round of parts.

Top coated thin again and they were dry to the touch by the time I completed the rack and checked the first door. (about 30 minutes)

I'm hoping this is all it is. I still have some paint in the hopper so I'm going to shoot a heavier coat like I normally would with ML Stealth and shoot a thinner coat like I did today. I'll put the clock on them and see how they differ.

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)