Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Waterborne finish on cherry

10/18/19       
Sirak Woodworking Member

Hi folks,

I’m seeing if anyone has experience with either Milesi waterborne clear or magnamax H2O on cherry? Durability isn’t my issue, more the color I’m worried about. I’m looking for a recipe to mimic an oil base finish that will darken over time. I used to finish with enviromax but am switching over to waterborne full time! My current solution is antique oil base coat then 2 top coats magnamax and have had no compatibility issues. However, magnamax is allittle orange in my opinion. Wondering what other woodworkers using waterborne on cherry are doing to get a rich color! Thanks in advance

10/18/19       #2: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
Adam

1 coat of Zinsser Sealcoat to pop the grain
2 coats of Aqualante

I haven’t tried the Magmax h20

The darkening is caused by oxidation and UV damage. No finish stops it.

10/19/19       #3: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
Daniel Berlin

As said, all of them will darken over time, with only the amount of uv inhibitor changing how fast that happens.

If you don't particularly care, spray something non-yellowing.

Any of milesi's interior non-yellowing waterbornes should work fine.

10/20/19       #4: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
nicko

When i was using waterborne i did what Adam said. Zinsser sealcoat and then top coat with waterborne.

Nicko

10/20/19       #5: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
Daniel Berlin

Magnamax H2O says this: "IMPORTANT – product is designed to mimic solvent based appearance on wood and therefore has an
amber cast."

IE you should not need anything under it.

It also says to use agualente plus sealer under it if you need one, and as a urethane, i'd generally follow instructions, as urethanes are tricky.

For the milesi stuff:

I would never apply a harder finish like milesi's 2k urethane (or any post-catalyzed finish) over a soft finish like dewaxed shellac.

My guess is that the dewaxed shellac will just melt into the topcoat anyway (and be a bit weird), since it is dissolved/softened by almost anything. But it's just asking for trouble.

I also know of at least 2 finishers with major failures (IE needing to strip large pieces) due to using dewaxed shellac under 2k *solventborne* urethane, but i don't think why waterborne would be any different.

(waxed shellac is a definitely going to cause failure, but sealcoat is dewaxed).

I'd go with a 2k sealer if you want to use 2k stuff.
If you want it to look like it was hit with a solventborne, either tint it amber slightly, or just hit it with a solventborne 2k sealer.

10/20/19       #6: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
Adam

Daniel,

You are incorrect about Sealcoat.

I’ve used many many brands of wb finish with it. Likewise oil/solvent based stains.

We use the shellac with transtint dye as a toner coat under wb topcoats. We use shellac as a barrier coat between oil based stains and wb topcoats.

The solvent based stains dry so fast and completely that we have no issues going over them with wb.

Your ie. is bs. You can use many products under Magnamax h2o. What about stains?

2k has very aggressive solvents, so I would be surprised if it didn’t like shellac.

10/20/19       #7: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
nicko

I have also used sealcoat under WB many times with no problems.I just spray a spit coat and that is all you need to give it a solvent color. I have sprayed it under Target Coatings WB finishes with no problem although i think they recommend using shellac from flakes instead of sealcoat.

nicko

10/20/19       #8: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
Bob Niemeyer  Member

I have to chuckle here, I thought the idea here is to have a waterbased finish system and now you laying down a coat of shellac?
Many other ways to get a solvent look with water. It is not the amber tone that makes it look like solvent, as many solvent based coatings are "water white". It is more about the "wetting" of the substrate by the coating itself.
Shellac is not very durable, why would you want that as your first coat on your substrate?
Us in the Professional world of wood finishing have many other ways to make a complete waterbased finish system look like solvent.

10/20/19       #9: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
nicko

Well then Bob instead of chuckling why don't you help the OP out with your ways of doing WB to look like solvent like you "professionals" do. Instead of taking a holier than thou attitude about it. I have cherry WB furniture from fifteen years ago when there wasn't a clear way to make a WB finish look like solvent. I did it with seal coat and that furniture still looks as beautiful today as when it left my shop.

nicko

10/20/19       #10: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
Bob Niemeyer  Member

nicko, I am glad that system has worked for you.
Waterbased coatings are always getting better and better. With the European companies coming to the U.S. market it has opened the door to many nice products and has also made the US manufactures step up their game.
Many of the manufactures have sealers that wet the substrate just as good as solvents. Also, adjusting staining techniques can help emphasize the "wet" look of the substrate.
Microlith based stains are very good at providing deep rich colors. Blending a little dye into the microlith stain will enhance the look even more.
It takes lots of searching and trials to find the products that will work for you. Also, service and tech support from a DIst are very important. European staining systems are very different. Call a few Reps and have them demo the european stain systems.
I think you will be surprised at the results.

10/20/19       #11: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
Adam

Bob,

We likewise started using Sealcoat when it first came on the market(mid 90’s?). At that time the wb were all glass clear. Other than adding transtint to a clear it was hard to get the amber look. Some people just like what they have seen their whole lives. Water clear looks really good over many woods. Most of the cv’s are quite clear.

As you are aware in the early days the wb’s did not pop the grain. Target definitely changed the market.

As for first coat durability, it’s irrelevant. The durability of a watered down sealer coat of wb, shellac, or solvent has no durability. The top coats provide all of it.

Like I mentioned back in the day the wb stains were not good. The shellac provided a way to use the with the oil stains.

At the end of the day, a little alcohol that is gone in 30 minutes is way better & safer than solvent voc’s.

10/20/19       #12: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
Adam

Mid 2000’s

10/20/19       #13: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
Bob Niemeyer  Member

Adam, first coat durability is a big deal. If there is poor adhesion or some other incompatibility you will have complete finish system failure at the substrate level.
Every step of the system matters, from the seal coats, build coats and topcoat. I will even include the sanding of the substrate and staining as part of the system. Over sand and you will have issues, wrong stain chemistry or stain over loaded with colorants you will have issues.
Waterbased finishes have come a long ways we are not "back in the days" anymore.

10/21/19       #14: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
Adam

Bob,

Obviously, I can’t convince you of something you don’t believe.

All I know is many people have successfully used Zinsser Sealcoat shellac for well over a decade.

It is an excellent sanding sealer, barrier coat, toner base and is compatible with most common waterborne finishes.

I agree with you that every step is important. The durability of the sealer coat is effectively the wood itself. The top coats provide the durability.

The original poster wanted a better look than he was achieving with a wb. I simply suggested another option. I stand by it.

Lets’s call it quits.

10/21/19       #15: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
chris  Member

To the OP, I use Magnamax H2O quite often, it's my go to finish for cherry, walnut and maple. Here are some doors I built and used the Magnamax H2O. I usually can sand and re-coat in 20-30 minutes, spray 3-4 wet mil, 3 coats. Dries quickly, powders up nicely when sanding. Be careful as it will easily sag on verticals.

View higher quality, full size image (2016 X 1512)

View higher quality, full size image (1512 X 2016)

View higher quality, full size image (2016 X 1512)

10/21/19       #16: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
Daniel Berlin

Adam,

Ignoring the rest of this, where i agree with Bob that i wouldn't use shellac:

"Your ie. is bs. You can use many products under Magnamax h2o. What about stains?
"

I think you misunderstood.

The reason given for using sealcoat was to "pop the grain".

Because magnamax h2o is tinted amber to pop the grain, you shouldn't *need* to use anything under it to pop the grain.
Using sealcoat under it *for that purpose* should be pointless.

You seem to have misinterpreted what i said there to mean you *can't* use anything under it.

I never said that, nor would I.
Plenty of stuff will work fine under it, ml campbell has an entire line of compatible stains and dyes.

10/21/19       #17: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
Jonathan Mahnken

Ive used the Magnamax H20. It works well, and gives SOME color. If you really want to help the grain out a light WB stain first should help. To everyone having great luck with sealcoat, Im really glad it works as well as you say it does for you. Ive never had this luck with it. And you have to have separate rigs and solvents. I actually find I can be faster with an all water system. As long as your components are all compatible you can bend all of the recoat times in your favor. And fewer adhesion/moisture resistance issues... I could go on...

10/21/19       #18: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
Robert Member

Can we at least agree that there really are two scoops of raisins in Kellogs raisin bran ?

10/22/19       #19: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
John Bishop Member

I've had good luck with Target's water modified shellac sealer. Dries fast, adds a bit of color and sands well. I believe it to be compatible with most water based topcoats.

10/30/19       #20: Waterborne finish on cherry ...
Bill Colligan Member

I have done a number of pieces in cherry with nice results. The gift of cherry is it will continue to age after finishing. What I have found works the best for me is sealing with a mixed shellac from flakes. I like the super blonde for cherry, but you can tone it or use other shades of shellac such as garnet. I topcoat with Target EM6000. If I have time, after final sanding, I will put the piece out in the sun (watching the weather) for a day or two. You will be surprised how much tone the wood will take on in a short period of time.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)