Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Mirror shine high build

8/22/21       
Craig

Currently using polyester for a high build high sheen. But it's a crazy amount of work on that last hurdle to a scratch free mirror shine..
I love the build I can achieve with the polyester but going to attempt using polyester to fill and smooth and apply a 90 sheen Conversion varnish as a final top.
I tried CV before for high build but was exceeding the final coating thickness and was experiencing shrinkage.
Any reason not to use the polyester as a build with CV final that's easier to polish out? School me if you can!
Thankyou

8/22/21       #2: Mirror shine high build ...
sam pettit  Member

Your not so much doing anything wrong Craig, but there are better ways with different materials to do it.
What I have been doing from about three years in working with polyester, is using over coats of automotive type, but formulated for wood use, 2K polyurethane s. My preferred one is from Delta Labs in Florida.!
What's nice about this product is it can, if desired, replace polyester all together.
Meaning it can be built up as thick as most polyester, but yet buffs out like a CV finish.
Or...it can be used as the final coat(s) after building with the POLY.
If the surface being sprayed is as flat as a piece of glass, then not much build is needed, especially on close grain wood species.
But even oaks or other deep pored woods can be filled up with 5-6 coats of the 2K Delta product. It, like the polyester,s are not cheap, but comparable in price, at least locally, but be prepared for a hefty shipping cost elsewhere.
If you need more info just get in touch ok?

8/22/21       #3: Mirror shine high build ...
Craig

Thanks! What does the polyurethane sand like and whats the dry time like?
The polyester is sandable in about 6 or 8 hours and it sands so good. Won't gum up paper at all.
I'm using an automotive approach to my polishing system. 3m trizact pads 1500, 3000, 100 maguires high cut compound and finish with 205 maguires. Many many hours, too many hours!
If I adjust the amount of accelerator or activator for the final top coats will the polyester cure softer? Be easier to polish out? Currently using the 2% suggested by manufacturer.
Thanks

8/22/21       #5: Mirror shine high build ...
Chemmy  Member

Like most all 2K urethane's, they sand as easy as most well regarded Cat Varnishes.
If your substrates are real smooth to begin with, for top coat applications, it will copy
( lay down): A like smooth coat(s) over it.
With Delta's 2K, I usually thin about 10-15% which also allows for added lay out/ smoothness, I personally do that only on large flat surfaces like conference tables or piano lids etc.
As to drying, if your talking the final coat I usually wait for a few days at least, but have done such the next morning depending on what the item(s) are, and how thick the coatings were.
I don't really do but two sanding operations
All my polyester is applied coat after coat at the slightly tacky stages, then left to cure, then sanded 120-150, then my 2K's are applied the same way. Which may be as little as 2-3 coats, or several depending on
The need of depth or DOI. Either way if your coatings are laying out smooth, the sanding steps should be minimal.
AS TO YOUR SYSTEM, .....
without knowing who's products your using be it Seagraves, Duratec, etc. I can't give further info that might be helpful.
As to your MEKP catalyst for your polyester, you really don't want to fool around with more or less.! Stick with what they tell you to use. You can ask your supplier if it is ok to thin out the polyester coating for the final coating that you apply before sanding, and their recommendation for the thinner to be used, which should be a keytone, but not acetone, it evaporates to fast.

8/22/21       #6: Mirror shine high build ...
Chris

I use ILVA polyester then use2 k urethane.
I find it very easy to use.
Let polyester cure overnight. Sand through wide belt then apply urethane sealer . Wait an hour then sand and topcoat

8/22/21       #7: Mirror shine high build ...
Chemmy  Member

Ok, thanks, So it seems the only problem your having is the polishing aspect, correct?
If yes, then it is just a matter of finding those compounds that give you the best and quickest results right?
There was a product that was made by chem craft, though I don't know if it's still available or not ... That was made up of cuttlebone in a heavy cream base that was very fast at producing a great high gloss shine without using further compounding agents afterwards. It was more of a paste than a liquid, but it was great stuff.!!
I used that exclusively, when I was with
OSF Canada And OSF America, which manufactured high-end finishes for the limited, Sachs 5 th Ave,
Victoria's Secret, Ambecrombe & Finch, Elaine Bryant, etc.
the Channel Store in Beverly Hills on Rodeo Drive, was one store that every piece of their black polyester was done with that product
To give the super high gloss shine that it had, that was back in 1994.... So I doubt it is still the same theme, but could be.
I will try to see if its still available, but I do not have the product number etc. Anymore.so don't hold your breath.

8/22/21       #8: Mirror shine high build ...
Craig

Yes, for that perfect look on a high end instrument. Near impossible to get a scratch free finish on the polyester.
It's not terrible and you need to look at it under light. Just not satisfied as I can't spend all those hours to get it to the standard I want, I have other stuff to do!
ICA system btw.

8/24/21       #9: Mirror shine high build ...
Kevin Dunphy

I use to do a lot of high gloss finish in aircraft using polyester .There no easy short cut .
You have be discipled in sanding .
I didn't know you can mix polyester with CV or 2k .
Using CV is asking for trouble .
I use 2k for high gloss but doing very little Campbell has a great system easy to work with .
One last note you burn thousand of dollars on a large project

8/29/21       #10: Mirror shine high build ...
JeffA

Chemmy, its so nice to read your posts again.

8/29/21       #11: Mirror shine high build ...
Chemmy

We'll, this is my last on this post, though I started using polyester in 1980
I was not happy about how much work it was. At that time, the only 2K's around were meant for metal, cars more so than planes, since Imron was still the top choice. And in the wood finishing industry, the cat varnishes and 2 or even 3 k's were being widely introduced, Guardsmen being one such that was most prevalent in the still then premiere furniture companies in Grand Rapids.
I was highly impressed with the hardness they had, just a I had been highly impressed with Imron. But to be matter of fact, I found the industry to be going in the wrong direction, at least for my liking..
NO matter who's polyester or whose plural component systems I or anyone used, what you gained as compared to what you " gave up"... and what you had to charge to turn a piece out compared to older easier forgiving systems such as nitro or shellac or even basic solvent acrylics, just wasn't worth it....at least for me.
So instead of CONTINUEING down that road, I ramped up my
Salesmanship both to individuals and companies (designers/architects/ cabinet Co....etc.) to consider the the good properties of the older, but proven systems
Against the newly promoted systems that though impressive in two or three areas, they fell way short in most other areas.!!
With that in mind I began pointing out to all of them that no matter how hard or scratch resistant these new finishes were, they were still not scratch " proof" Most could even be scratched or dulled with 4/0 steel wool.!!
No matter how shiney they were, they would still dull with age and that shine would have to be restored at a much higher cost than the older but reliable systems would be.!!
AND THE topper was the comparison of the time the new finishes, though repairable, took to repair as to shellac, nitro, or acrylic were in comparison, that
Topped of with demonstrations of these differences as to time and effort and money saved, quickly made them converts to my reasonings.!!
Almost all, continued in their specifying the older finishes armed with the truth about their differences and the faults and tremendous increase in cost by comparison of the newer ones.!
Sometimes I believe going back is the best way forward in many scenarios in our trade and art. That said I admit that I still use the 2k Delta for those who just can't seem to live with out the deep clear thick glass like finish on their piano or other items.
AND I can live with that...since I hardly do any of that work anymore. But as to polyester? I have not shot an ounce since 94, and don't miss it at all.
The rest? I will leave up to you to decide.... it's your business, not mine..😊

8/29/21       #12: Mirror shine high build ...
sam pettit  Member

Thanks Jeff, I will only be posting on occasion, not like I used to, only on things that interest me and I feel I can give help or advise on..... Which is the way it should be..

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • Carter Products
      Band Saw Guides, Blades, Wheels, Tires, Line Lasers and 2D Projectors, Wide Belt Sanding Accessories, Vacuum Holding Systems and More
    • EX-FACTORY INC.
      Offering New & Used Woodworking Machinery including Auctions & Liquidations
    • SAMES North America Corporation
      Precision Spraying Solutions From Pumps To Complete Application Systems-Design and Manufacture of Process Equipment Including Airspray, Airmix, Airless, Rexson Dispense, Electrostatic and Powder Coat
    • Simantech
      New & Used Machinery, Supplies, Tooling, Parts, and Abrasive Products
    • Unique Machine & Tool
      Industrial Machinery for Door and Drawer Production
    • TotalFinishingSUPPLIES.com
      Solutions and supplies from spray tips to spray booths for all your woodworking needs
    • Supergrit Abrasives
      Industrial Quality Abrasives Manufactured by Leading US and Foreign Companies

Become a Sponsor today!