Sawing and Drying

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

heat treating

6/27/19       
Jonathan Cook Member

several weeks back I staked with 1 inch spacers 2 inch pine boards in an insulated room. I had a blower sucking air from the top and blowing it under the pile. I had a thermostat attached to 2 torpedo heaters set at 170. They were blowing into the room through double walled pipes. I started early Saturday morning and achieved temperature late Saturday. I kept going until Sunday evening until the internal temperature of one of my board in the center bottom of the stack registered between 132 and 133 for several hours.
My target was 133 for 30 minutes, but I was exhausted from supervising the project all Saturday night and was afraid that the boards were going to warp too badly from all the heat and over drying. I thought surely over 132 for hours would be good. Then I edged and planed and polyurethaned about 50 of the boards because I want to use them to anchor over the purlins of my timber frame. Now I see fresh powder. also I sprayed these boards with timbore prior to the heat treatment, Partly to make sure they would not get reinfected during the process of edging and planing I imagine the timbore was mostly planed off prior to polyurethaning. This is very aggravating. Some of what I read says the life cycle should be interrupted simply by sealing the wood with paint or polyurethane. That eventually the adult will emerge and new larva will not penetrate the sealed surface. But I think the life cycle of some of these pests is years.

On top of this my timbers for the timber frame have been treated with timbore as well but can certainly not be heat treated as that would take weeks. They were fully air dried for years then recut to correct any twisting and sprayed with timbore. I am planning to sand them lightly and then finish them with out planing. I am hoping any bugs that might emerge through the timbore will die and no new larva will make it through the finish to start a new cycle. I have barns made with rough cut lumber with some signs of bugs that are still standing 30 years later and I hope timbore and polyurethane will eventually end the cycle in my house I am trying to build. I hope there is some advice here other than a huge bonfire. I could try reheating at least the boards with noticable powder once they are polurethaned. Maybe the polyurethane would prevent over drying and warpage, but I am afraid they might develop an unacceptable crown. They presently will fit together nicely since they have been edged. That still leaves my timbers. At least the timbore has not been planed off of them. I could spray the rest of the 2 inch boards with timbore once they are planed and then put them back with a dehumidifier prior to polyurethaning them, but it will be time consuming and they might warp again with the moisture changes. Thanks for any help

6/30/19       #5: heat treating ...
GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Spraying Timbor can, if enough chemical is concentrated at the surface, provide a barrier to the entry of new insects. If the wood develops a crack, there will be untreated wood exposed.

When spraying, you can determine the amount of wood you sprayed and the amount of chemical used per square foot or per cubic foot of wood. In other words, a single, light spraying provides limited protection from a new infection and no benefit for existing activity. Of course, the planing removed the timbor, which is now in the shavings.

But, even if you did get a new infection, it would be weeks before seeing the exit holes of any new insects. So, we know that the new powder, called frass, is from old insects. I assume you are certain that the frass is not just frass from the old holes, but that these are new holes. I assume that the polyurethane was thick enough and covered the old holes you exposed when planing. Can you see the new holes that now come through the polyethylene and the sharp edges of the holes, using 10x magnification? This assures us that they are indeed new holes, as a thick coating of poly would have filled or partially filled the holes. Of course, a very thin coating is likely not 100% effective on new insects.

If indeed you still have insects in wood you heat treated, then you apparently did not reach the magic temperature of 133 F. In fact, in pine, you could have ambrosia powderpost beetles, old house borers, and more.

What is the size of the hole?

Because you planed the wood, did you expose long tunnels that would have been near the surface? Is the frass coming from these?

7/1/19       #6: heat treating ...
Jonathan Cook Member

I dont think it is a new infestation as I polyurethaned the board quickly following planing and had them stored in the heat chamber with timbore on them prior to planing. also I would not think there has been enough time for it to be a new infestation. Some of the boards did have exposed running tunnels after planing and these are the ones with the most noticeable frass. They only have one coat even though most of them have 2 because I think I will plane the polly off and apply timbore. some boards have very little or no holes and some have no sign of fresh frass

the holes are different sizes, but mostly anything active seems pretty small

I still have a stack 12 layers high of 2x10s 7 feet wide and 14 to 16 feet long sitting in my heat chamber. I have edged and planed and polyurethane about 5 rows. I have a dehumidifier in there set on 45 % i could try heating them again but feel like I already caused some warpage the first time. Should I try again? I think I set my cut off at 170 degrees and the internal temperature of a center board toward the bottom of the pile was around 132.5 for hours. Assuming my probe was accurate is 170 good but just longer? Should I plane then use timbore again and then dehumidify and then poly and feel that with timbore and poly the infestation cycle should eventually be broken.

Also I have some issues with my timbers which I have sprayed with timbore. I was going to put a finish on those, but think maybe I will not put a finish on them so I can keep spraying them as needed during the construction phase and after as needed for an extended time?

Thanks

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)